XXXX

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
smashedpumpkins

Re: How many people do you think get full rides at T14 schools?

Postby smashedpumpkins » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:59 pm

Within the T14, H/Y/S/Chicago/Boalt/Penn/Georgetown don't offer full rides. (Is Cornell's 120k scholarship considered a full-ride?)

And, as DS mentioned, there is a lot of overlap: it looks like almost every Hamilton recipient on LSN also got a full-ride from NYU/Michigan/Virginia.

So in my completely uninformed opinion, somewhere under 300 sounds looks like a good guess.

OP, are you considering sitting out a year and reapplying? NU for free is an awesome, awesome offer, but you might be able to do better with a more tailored application approach.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:20 pm

smashedpumpkins wrote:Within the T14, H/Y/S/Chicago/Boalt/Penn/Georgetown don't offer full rides. (Is Cornell's 120k scholarship considered a full-ride?)

And, as DS mentioned, there is a lot of overlap: it looks like almost every Hamilton recipient on LSN also got a full-ride from NYU/Michigan/Virginia.

So in my completely uninformed opinion, somewhere under 300 sounds looks like a good guess.

OP, are you considering sitting out a year and reapplying? NU for free is an awesome, awesome offer, but you might be able to do better with a more tailored application approach.

It looks like Georgetown doesn't give full rides either. And Penn gives that 120k scholarship to people too. It's hard to say if 120k counts as a full ride. I think I'd say no because for Cornell that's only a little more than 80% of tuition and for Penn it's about 85%. These guesses seem reasonable.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:48 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
HeadingWest wrote:I just thought about it, and I imagine the satire is about helping the poor (as opposed to using their bodies for fuel or something), so nevermind :)

No, you were right the first time, I'm a conservative who enjoys making fun of the poor to their detriment. What's so bad about that? JR waitlisted me because HLS can't handle a real conservative. Okay, sorry, back to the question at hand that nobody's answering.

It's really more fun to talk about what a giant toolshed you are.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:57 pm

rayiner wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
HeadingWest wrote:I just thought about it, and I imagine the satire is about helping the poor (as opposed to using their bodies for fuel or something), so nevermind :)

No, you were right the first time, I'm a conservative who enjoys making fun of the poor to their detriment. What's so bad about that? JR waitlisted me because HLS can't handle a real conservative. Okay, sorry, back to the question at hand that nobody's answering.

It's really more fun to talk about what a giant toolshed you are.

Look, pal, it's not my fault that all the admissions offices have it in for conservatives and that poor people don't pay enough taxes and that hookers and strippers rip me off sometimes.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:59 pm

hmmm well regardless of OP's application's strength, I dont think its that shocking that he didn't make HYS... I mean there are tons of <3.8, 176+ waitlisted by H this cycle (which really has seemed to focus on high GPA a little more than usual), and the OP is probably affected by his UG at all three..

The basic fact is a 3.77 at a mediocre liberal arts college isn't going to get you a guarantee at any top school, no matter the LSAT score... I highly doubt the rejections are due to somebody coming across as a toolbag on their application....

HeadingWest

Postby HeadingWest » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:39 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

:D At this point, I like to think that you are a piece of exquisitely complex performance art meant to mock those that appreciate your ideas. I prefer to think the same thing about Sarah Palin.

That being said, at least you are forwarding the conservative cause through humor. GIT RRRR DONE

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:42 pm

HeadingWest wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

:D At this point, I like to think that you are a piece of exquisitely complex performance art meant to mock those that appreciate your ideas. I prefer to think the same thing about Sarah Palin.

That being said, at least you are forwarding the conservative cause through humor. GIT RRRR DONE

please, please don't compare Sarah Palin to somebody who score 170+ on their LSAT...

In fact, I'm pretty sure even 50 percentile scorers would consider that an insult

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:
HeadingWest wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

please, please don't compare Sarah Palin to somebody who score 170+ on their LSAT...

In fact, I'm pretty sure even 50 percentile scorers would consider that an insult

I agree, a much better comparison would be Ann Coulter. Incidentally, she told me at CPAC not to go to law school when I was flirting with her, and Michigan rejected me...

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:hmmm well regardless of OP's application's strength, I dont think its that shocking that he didn't make HYS... I mean there are tons of <3.8, 176+ waitlisted by H this cycle (which really has seemed to focus on high GPA a little more than usual), and the OP is probably affected by his UG at all three..

The basic fact is a 3.77 at a mediocre liberal arts college isn't going to get you a guarantee at any top school, no matter the LSAT score... I highly doubt the rejections are due to somebody coming across as a toolbag on their application....

This seems right to me. If you look at the LSN graphs 3.8+ and then especially 3.9+ tend to be much more solidly green. I think the 3.7-3.8 area is where the strength of school/major etc. start to come into play a lot more. Getting a 3.77 at a mediocre liberal arts school (where inflation is usually rampant, not sure about the particular case) is going to be a big obstacle to overcome at the top 3, especially if your GPA is being pulled up by Spanish courses (or the like).

Full rides are rare, so I don't think you should be feeling terrible about getting a full ride and not getting HYS. I'd strongly consider a full ride over HYS myself, especially if my goals were slightly different. I'll echo the above sentiment that the number of full rides given out is close to the number of acceptances given out by Yale, ~300.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:09 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:

I for one don't believe that he scored a 170+. He doesn't sound like someone who is capable due to his lack of ability to see different perspectives. I thought the LSAT tests that. I could be wrong, but it is just an Internet forum... I don't believe he has a full ride from NU either.

Well, I hope I am right, the world is a darker place than I perceive it to be if he is right and I am wrong. (well on that thought, maybe he is right :evil: )

I can't help but to say something because this guy just bothers me in a strange way for so long. Carry on.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:

I for one don't believe that he scored a 170+. He doesn't sound like someone who is capable due to his lack of ability to see different perspectives. I thought the LSAT tests that. I could be wrong, but it is just an Internet forum... I don't believe he has a full ride from NU either.

Well, I hope I am right, the world is a darker place than I perceive it to be if he is right and I am wrong. (well on that thought, maybe he is right :evil: )

I can't help but to say something because this guy just bothers me in a strange way for so long. Carry on.

CoaltoNewCastle bothers you???

Never would have guessed he bothered anyone. I guess I don't pay that much attention anyhow.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:18 pm

Unitas wrote:CoaltoNewCastle bothers you???

Never would have guessed he bothered anyone. I guess I don't pay that much attention anyhow.

I don't mean he goes out of his way to bother me directly. Reading what he writes bothers me. So that's why I didn't address him directly. Just making a comment. It is kind of petty, I know, but he goes around complaining about how schools are not taking him because of his conservative views blah blah blah. The kid reeks of "don't take me" and he is not understanding that. Kids like him are not worth the trouble when there are others who appreciate things.

HITeacher2

Postby HITeacher2 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:30 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

Sorry, I can't help but interject on this. TS, the HLS dean of admissions before JR, was pretty progressive in his admissions policy - my phone interview was about how the HLS app should have a non-binary option for gender so as not to discourage transgender applicants, my choice of topic. So imagine my surprise when I find out that after TS leaves admissions, he joins the American Enterprise Institute and turns out to be a TOTAL neocon. 2/3rds of his facebook posts (I friended him after he left) make my stomach turn a little.

But that's what is awesome about him, and undoubtedly awesome about JR. They take their own political views and leave them at the door when they do admissions, not admitting people based on their political views but on the merit of their application. And yes, application does NOT just mean GPA/LSAT numbers. Looking at the way you post and your cycle, my gut tells me that either your numbers aren't real (and neither is your scholly), or you have HUGE flaws in the soft parts of your application. My guess is that your LOR writers damned you with faint praise.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:

I don't mean he goes out of his way to bother me directly. Reading what he writes bothers me. So that's why I didn't address him directly. Just making a comment. It is kind of petty, I know, but he goes around complaining about how schools are not taking him because of his conservative views blah blah blah. The kid reeks of "don't take me" and he is not understanding that. Kids like him are not worth the trouble when there are others who appreciate things.

Ouch, r6. :( I think if you knew me better you wouldn't think this about me. I was joking about being conservative. I'm actually a democrat, but I went to the conservative convention CPAC with a press pass to see what the conservatives there had to say, because I do want to see other people's perspectives. I also don't actually have serious complaints about schools not taking me. Like somebody said, my GPA wasn't very good for somebody who went to a mediocre school, and medical condition-related GPA addenda usually don't really matter. My softs were unimpressive.

I also haven't killed any sex workers.

Edit: Also, r6, people seem to be assuming that I'm upset about my cycle. There are people saying I'm a horrible, disgusting person or I screwed up really badly not to get into HYS and other schools, but I'm very, very grateful and feel really lucky that I've gotten what I've gotten.

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:46 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Ouch, r6. :( I think if you knew me better you wouldn't think this about me. I was joking about being conservative. I'm actually a democrat, but I went to the conservative convention CPAC with a press pass to see what the conservatives there had to say, because I do want to see other people's perspectives. I also don't actually have serious complaints about schools not taking me. Like somebody said, my GPA wasn't very good for somebody who went to a mediocre school, and medical condition-related GPA addenda usually don't really matter. My softs were unimpressive.

Edit: Also, r6, people seem to be assuming that I'm upset about my cycle. There are people saying I'm a horrible, disgusting person or I screwed up really badly not to get into HYS and other schools, but I'm very, very grateful and feel really lucky that I've gotten what I've gotten.

Just to back up r6, I also tend to be rubbed the wrong way with your profile and writing (e.g. the New/JewCastle thing?), and you seem to have a hard time seeing the shades of grey. Like others, I suspect you may not have set the best tone in your application, and this hurt you at HYS but also CCNM etc. I don't think this necessarily reflects anything about you, other than how you come across in writing and possibly in an application. I suspect you are genuinely grateful about the full scholly. But I wouldn't dismiss the point others are making that it did affect your cycle - it ain't all "YP."

Anyways, you got a great, and rare, offer, so congrats.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:49 pm

Nobody rejects as YP.

I bet OP gets NYU. They are number whores.

tome

Postby tome » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:59 pm

Anyone else notice that he never denied murdering a hooker?

EDIT: nevermind, I finished reading the thread, and he eventually did deny murdering any sex workers ... eventually.
Last edited by tome on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:00 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Ouch, r6. :( I think if you knew me better you wouldn't think this about me. I was joking about being conservative. I'm actually a democrat, but I went to the conservative convention CPAC with a press pass to see what the conservatives there had to say, because I do want to see other people's perspectives. I also don't actually have serious complaints about schools not taking me. Like somebody said, my GPA wasn't very good for somebody who went to a mediocre school, and medical condition-related GPA addenda usually don't really matter. My softs were unimpressive.

Here is the danger of the Internet. I don't know you, I can only go by what you write, and I don't know if you are joking or not. People misunderstand me too, so I get that. Even if you are just sarcastic or playing around like being a conservative, then you appear to be somewhat bitter. I don't really have anything against you personally, I was just making observations based on what I have read from you. I do know that people usually don't fully represent who they are IRL, so you may be a complete and nice person IRL. But on here, I can only draw the conclusion that I did. Even back to you taking about retaking a 179 ...

However, this post was really different. So I will just say I may be wrong about you, but I still don't like what you post on here. :wink:
Last edited by r6_philly on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:00 pm

If it makes you feel any better OP, I would murder 17 babies for that offer.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If it makes you feel any better OP, I would murder 17 babies for that offer.

I think you need to murder 162 more to have a decent chance.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:09 pm

Anyway I'm sorry for making this thread, everybody. I definitely used poor wording and came off as a giant toolnozzle. All I wanted to do was sell myself to one of the top Jew castles and I failed. My personal statement was risky, but I had other people look at it and they said they liked it, so I used it. With the Michigan rejection I think it was a combination of "this guy will get at least one better offer" and "this guy half-assed his application to our school and shoved a 2.5 page addendum in a place where only 1 page addenda were asked for, he can go fuck himself."

But once again, I consider my cycle a success and am excited about where I'm going.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:21 pm

Not enough.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:22 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Anyway I'm sorry for making this thread, everybody. I definitely used poor wording and came off as a giant toolnozzle. All I wanted to do was sell myself to one of the top Jew castles and I failed. My personal statement was risky, but I had other people look at it and they said they liked it, so I used it. With the Michigan rejection I think it was a combination of "this guy will get at least one better offer" and "this guy half-assed his application to our school and shoved a 2.5 page addendum in a place where only 1 page addenda were asked for, he can go fuck himself."

But once again, I consider my cycle a success and am excited about where I'm going.

rayiner wrote:
My name is a reference to the phrase "selling coal to Newcastle (or New Castle depending on whether you're talking about the English, Australian, or US place)." It's refers to how I'm trying to get another boring (non-religious) Jew into Yalevardford Law, which already has plenty.

I hope you get into Harvard so you don't come here. You sound annoying and pretentious.

ITT: I learn two very important things:
1.) I love Dean Zearfoss for being able to detect attitudes like OP's through a paper application.
2.) I feel terrible for Rayiner.

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:44 pm

februaryftw wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Just to back up r6, I also tend to be rubbed the wrong way with your profile and writing (e.g. the New/JewCastle thing?), and you seem to have a hard time seeing the shades of grey. Like others, I suspect you may not have set the best tone in your application, and this hurt you at HYS but also CCNM etc. I don't think this necessarily reflects anything about you, other than how you come across in writing and possibly in an application. I suspect you are genuinely grateful about the full scholly. But I wouldn't dismiss the point others are making that it did affect your cycle - it ain't all "YP."

How does his profile rub you the wrong way? It's a list of objective numbers. You, and everyone else who is discussing this kid's personal life when he never prompted you to do so are a bunch of miscreants.

The OP has been nothing but lenient with the personal attacks everyone in this thread has been directing towards him. You all could learn from his composure in the face of your hostility.

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:06 pm

jpSartre wrote:
februaryftw wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

How does his profile rub you the wrong way? It's a list of objective numbers. You, and everyone else who is discussing this kid's personal life when he never prompted you to do so are a bunch of miscreants.

The OP has been nothing but lenient with the personal attacks everyone in this thread has been directing towards him. You all could learn from his composure in the face of your hostility.

I guess we both (you and I) can learn something, then?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”