XXXX Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

XXXX

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:08 pm

XXXX
Last edited by CoaltoNewCastle on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragged

Silver

Re: How many people do you think get full rides at T14 schools?

Post by Ragged » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:14 pm

I don't know the answer to your questions, but wow nice numbers, and wow rough cycle, but good job at getting a fullride at a T14.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:16 pm

My name is a reference to the phrase "selling coal to Newcastle (or New Castle depending on whether you're talking about the English, Australian, or US place)." It's refers to how I'm trying to get another boring (non-religious) Jew into Yalevardford Law, which already has plenty.
I hope you get into Harvard so you don't come here. You sound annoying and pretentious.

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:21 pm

http://officialguide.lsac.org/

The guides here list the numbers and percentages of schools that get every type of scholarship from more than full to 25% or less.

http://www.openoffice.org/

This website offers a free office suite which will allow you to write down the values you find for "Full Scholarships" at each of the "T14" schools.

http://www.calculateforfree.com/

If you can't figure out how to use the built-in spreadsheet calculator, this website will allow you to input numbers and add them up.

Godspeed and good luck.

Edit: To be fair, the first link only lists the number of people actually attending the school and doesn't count people who might have been offered.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:28 pm

what's with your cycle? did you murder a hooker?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:37 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I've been curious about how many people get full rides at T14 schools. Does anybody have any good estimates? Right now I'm casually combing through LSN. This has nothing to do with my own situation where I have a T14 full ride and have all but struck out at HYS and am a narcissist!!!
The NU 135K scholarship is numbers based.

Your strike out everywhere else indicates a massive problem in your application. What the hell did your PS and LOR's say.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Daico wrote:http://officialguide.lsac.org/

The guides here list the numbers and percentages of schools that get every type of scholarship from more than full to 25% or less.

http://www.openoffice.org/

This website offers a free office suite which will allow you to write down the values you find for "Full Scholarships" at each of the "T14" schools.

http://www.calculateforfree.com/

If you can't figure out how to use the built-in spreadsheet calculator, this website will allow you to input numbers and add them up.

Godspeed and good luck.

Edit: To be fair, the first link only lists the number of people actually attending the school and doesn't count people who might have been offered.
All right, thanks, that helps. But like you said, it doesn't include people who turn scholarships down. And thank you for the friendly comments, everybody. Like everybody else, I thought I'd get into at least one of HYS. This cycle though there are indeed other people with numbers like mine who have had the same lack of success with HYS. But I do appreciate your assuming I did something horrible to get these results. Also rayiner thanks for hoping I get into Harvard, I hope everybody at Northwestern is as nice as you. Fox is right too and the school clearly hates me and held their nose when they offered me this scholarship to very slightly boost their medians and 75th percentile quartiles, which they could have done with anybody with numbers above ~3.7 and ~172. I'm a horrible, shitty person.

Edit: Actually I forgot, my GPA is under their 75th. If you look at the other full scholarship recipients at NU, the numbers are all over the place. I'm sorry if I come off as a pretentious douche, but I don't think I am one.
Last edited by CoaltoNewCastle on Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:48 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote: All right, thanks, that helps. But like you said, it doesn't include people who turn scholarships down. And thank you for the friendly comments, everybody. Like everybody else, I thought I'd get into at least one of HYS. This cycle though there are indeed other people with numbers like mine who have had the same lack of success with HYS. But I do appreciate your assuming I did something horrible to get these results. Also rayiner thanks for hoping I get into Harvard, I hope everybody at Northwestern is as nice as you. The school clearly hates me and held their nose when they offered me this scholarship to very slightly boost their medians and 75th percentile quartiles, which they could have done with anybody with numbers above ~3.7 and ~172. I'm a horrible, shitty person.
your lack of success at HYS isn't what makes me think you murdered a hooker; it's the rest of your cycle.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:50 pm

superserial wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote: All right, thanks, that helps. But like you said, it doesn't include people who turn scholarships down. And thank you for the friendly comments, everybody. Like everybody else, I thought I'd get into at least one of HYS. This cycle though there are indeed other people with numbers like mine who have had the same lack of success with HYS. But I do appreciate your assuming I did something horrible to get these results. Also rayiner thanks for hoping I get into Harvard, I hope everybody at Northwestern is as nice as you. The school clearly hates me and held their nose when they offered me this scholarship to very slightly boost their medians and 75th percentile quartiles, which they could have done with anybody with numbers above ~3.7 and ~172. I'm a horrible, shitty person.
your lack of success at HYS isn't what makes me think you murdered a hooker; it's the rest of your cycle.
Yeah actually that's a good point. I think I just had the right combination of apparent HYS-level numbers and lackluster softs and experience that led to top schools turning me down for not being good enough and lower schools not wanting to accept me because they thought I'd get a better offer (which, only thanks to my luck with NU, I did get), and not liking me enough to take the hit to their yield rate. My application was okay.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:27 pm

Also Daico your post was impressively hostile considering that not only does that LSAC information not tell how many full scholarships are offered, but it's also pretty rigid about what it considers a full scholarship. The NU "full ride" is actually a few thousand below the cost of attendance, so the LSAC lists the number of students with a full ride as zero. Considering how much TLS posters love hypotheticals and questions like this, I though it'd be okay to post my question.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:35 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I've been curious about how many people get full rides at T14 schools. Does anybody have any good estimates? Right now I'm casually combing through LSN. This has nothing to do with my own situation where I have a T14 full ride and have all but struck out at HYS and am a narcissist!!!
Not sure why your cycle turned out the way it did. Also, you should've applied to Cornell, dood! I bet you'd get similar money (as NU) without that waiting a year bullshit.

But yeah, my guess is not many. Not all T14s even give full-rides, do they?

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:43 am

woeisme wrote:
Not sure why your cycle turned out the way it did. Also, you should've applied to Cornell, dood! I bet you'd get similar money (as NU) without that waiting a year bullshit.

But yeah, my guess is not many. Not all T14s even give full-rides, do they?
I like the waiting a year condition a lot though. I'm not ready for law school. Getting waitlisted by Harvard killed my chances of deferring admissions for a year and going to Harvard in fall 2011. And I can't reapply because my GPA dropped. Also I killed a stripper. I'd definitely rather go to NU than Cornell though, I think NU will be a much better fit. And yeah, looking at LSN, Georgetown doesn't seem to give any full rides. HYS don't, of course. I've heard Chicago doesn't either, though I'm not done looking at this stuff.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:48 am

OP T-14 full rides are great but you either FUBAR'ed the rest of your app or have insane bad luck....b/c ur numbers are a shoe in for H....and should have gotten you a full ride from Columbia on down...
Did you just give up and not complete them?
You are in an elite group, pat yourself on the back but wow! I don't know what you could have done to fix these WL and rejects you have.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:59 am

underachiever wrote:OP T-14 full rides are great but you either FUBAR'ed the rest of your app or have insane bad luck....b/c ur numbers are a shoe in for H....and should have gotten you a full ride from Columbia on down...
Did you just give up and not complete them?
You are in an elite group, pat yourself on the back but wow! I don't know what you could have done to fix these WL and rejects you have.
Seriously, go to LSN before you say something like that and look at other people with my numbers. I'm not unique. Last year my numbers made me a shoe-in for Harvard, but this year no. And it's just not that simple. I didn't make this thread looking for validation or to discuss what I did to screw up. There are a bunch of TLS users with apparent auto-admit numbers like mine, some who applied much earlier in the cycle, including a guy with a 3.77/179 who applied in October and a couple people with near identical numbers, who have not been accepted by Harvard. And I think the schools like Columbia on down were like everybody else who assured me that I was guaranteed Harvard, and assumed I would get in and not want to go to their schools, and didn't like me enough (except NU) as an overall candidate to offer me a full ride or to accept me with a smaller scholarship knowing that I'd get a better offer. I just apparently had awkward numbers for this year that made everybody think I was either too qualified or not qualified enough to go to their school. I also really haven't made an effort to get into these non-HYS schools that have waitlisted me or put me on hold, so they've had no reason to believe that I particularly want to attend them.

There's one black hole in my app, and it's that when I studied abroad in a Spanish-speaking country I got a 3.0 average for that semester, with A's in my two Spanish classes and low grades in a couple of my politics classes because I hadn't taken Spanish since 11th grade and had trouble following the classes.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:10 pm

And here I was thinking that the Harvard phone interview was just a formality...

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:14 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:And here I was thinking that the Harvard phone interview was just a formality...
Haven't had a phone interview. And no, about 25% of people who do get phone interviews don't get acceptances.

dutchstriker

Bronze

Post by dutchstriker » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:14 pm

Apparently there were around 50 Hamiltons offered by CLS this year. Usually, about 10-20 are accepted. This comes from the Dean of Admissions.

Edit: And to wager a guess at your original question, I would say about 300. Total guess. Some of those will be overlapping (e.g. I had a full ride from NYU and CLS). Many people are not offered them because they are yield-protected or didn't apply to schools in the lower T14 (or withdrew prior to scholarship offers).
Last edited by dutchstriker on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sluguy14

Bronze

Post by sluguy14 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:17 pm

wait, so what's the point of this thread? Did you actually want to talk about T14 scholarships or did you just want to rationalize your rejection from HYS? That sucks that you didn't make it, but you seem to have all the information you need/want regarding your rejection. I'm not sure why we're still discussing this.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:24 pm

sluguy14 wrote:wait, so what's the point of this thread? Did you actually want to talk about T14 scholarships or did you just want to rationalize your rejection from HYS? That sucks that you didn't make it, but you seem to have all the information you need/want regarding your rejection. I'm not sure why we're still discussing this.
No, have you read the thread? I just said 10 minutes ago that I actually didn't make the thread to talk about my cycle. The point of the thread is the title of the thread, and I was looking for posts exactly like dutchstriker's, the kind where TLS users analyze a question and try to come up with a reasonable answer. This kind of thing happens so much in the other threads I read that I wasn't expecting a bunch of bitchy nonsensical replies like this.

sluguy14

Bronze

Post by sluguy14 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:31 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
sluguy14 wrote:wait, so what's the point of this thread? Did you actually want to talk about T14 scholarships or did you just want to rationalize your rejection from HYS? That sucks that you didn't make it, but you seem to have all the information you need/want regarding your rejection. I'm not sure why we're still discussing this.
No, have you read the thread? I just said 10 minutes ago that I actually didn't make the thread to talk about my cycle. The point of the thread is the title of the thread, and I was looking for posts exactly like dutchstriker's, the kind where TLS users analyze a question and try to come up with a reasonable answer. This kind of thing happens so much in the other threads I read that I wasn't expecting a bunch of bitchy nonsensical replies like this.
Yes, I did read the thread. And it seems that whenever anyone posts something, you come back with a self-righteous, overly defensive reply. Kinda like you did right there.

You got a full ride to a T14. The rest of your cycle was a disaster, but you still got the full ride. Well done. Now move along.

HeadingWest

New

Post by HeadingWest » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:32 pm

superserial wrote: your lack of success at HYS isn't what makes me think you murdered a hooker; it's the rest of your cycle.
Based on LSN, Coal advertises a "satirical website about poverty". Nothing offends me whatsoever, but perhaps it is not the best strategy for a potential law student to write jokes exclusively about the poor. Did he mention it in his application?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HeadingWest

New

Post by HeadingWest » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:35 pm

I just thought about it, and I imagine the satire is about helping the poor (as opposed to using their bodies for fuel or something), so nevermind :)

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:37 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:And here I was thinking that the Harvard phone interview was just a formality...
Haven't had a phone interview. And no, about 25% of people who do get phone interviews don't get acceptances.
It seems I gave you too much credit. Or, alternatively, JR too little.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:40 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
It seems I gave you too much credit. Or, alternatively, JR too little.
Yup, you're a very clever person, glad you said this, let's stop talking about my cycle.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:43 pm

HeadingWest wrote:I just thought about it, and I imagine the satire is about helping the poor (as opposed to using their bodies for fuel or something), so nevermind :)
No, you were right the first time, I'm a conservative who enjoys making fun of the poor to their detriment. What's so bad about that? JR waitlisted me because HLS can't handle a real conservative. Okay, sorry, back to the question at hand that nobody's answering.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”