(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:07 pm

Last edited by Dany on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OmbreGracieuse

Re: LOR Advice - Academic Advisor?

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:31 pm

eskimo wrote:I am still in undergrad and will be applying in the fall, and I'm a little nervous about who to ask for letters of recommendation. I attend a very large state school, and have not gotten very close to many professors; many of my classes have more than 150 students and it's rare for students to take more than one class from the same professor. Further, as an economics/management major, not many of my professors can comment on my writing ability or other applicable skills for a law student. I have a history professor who will write a strong letter, but I'm not sure who else to ask. My advisor -who is very familiar with the work I've done in classes, the time I spend on extracurricular activities, my jobs, etc. - knows me very well and has offered to write a law school recommendation letter (without my asking), and I know he would write a wonderful one. I have never had a class with him, however. Would law schools view this as an "academic" letter, since those are preferred for those straight out of UG, or should I find someone else to write it? Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this!

(If it matters, I'll have a bit above a 3.8 when I apply and a solid overall application.)

If your advisor has offered to write one, then I would let him. He obviously thinks he has something positive to say; I think it would be more candid and forthright than you asking someone else. The fact he is writing it- and wants to- would show through.

Dany

Re: LOR Advice - Academic Advisor?

Postby Dany » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:42 pm

Thanks so much for your advice! :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”