What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KG_CalGuy
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:18 am

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby KG_CalGuy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:45 am

That nobody REALLY understands the admissions process for the t-5 (perhaps even the t-10). Can't tell you how many LSN profiles I read where people were shocked that a "shoo-in" got rejected from HYSC(C/N)
Last edited by KG_CalGuy on Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:46 am

KG_CalGuy wrote:That nobody REALLY understand the admissions process for the t-5 (perhaps even the t-10). Can't tell you how many LSN profiles I read where people were shocked that a "shoo-in" got rejected from HYSC(C/N)


I learned this first-hand re: NYU. In a few days I may have an even crazier story to tell re: CLS, but my hopes aren't high.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:59 am

1. Apply early.
2. Always take the June LSAT so you can comfortably retake in September and still get all your stuff in early.
3. The December LSAT is NOT "early".

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:21 am

Oh yeah, and applying early is extremely credited. I applied to a ton of schools in Jan/Feb after my ED option fell through, and I've had zero success in this batch. My only decent outcomes (NU-in, WL at UC, Mich, still held at CLS) were from November.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby Cupidity » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:24 am

If you use a GLBT personal statement you will get waitlisted at catholic schools & everywhere else.

My cycle:

4 admits
10 waitlists
2 rejects

Don't blow off you fall semester classes if you are EDing at UVA in February. Dropped from a 3.87 to a 3.83 and got waitlisted because of it instead of admitted. how could i possibly know this--you might ask? The Dean told me via email.

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby hellokitty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:26 am

Cupidity wrote:If you use a GLBT personal statement you will get waitlisted at catholic schools & everywhere else.

My cycle:

4 admits
10 waitlists
2 rejects

Don't blow off you fall semester classes if you are EDing at UVA in February. Dropped from a 3.87 to a 3.83 and got waitlisted because of it instead of admitted. how could i possibly know this--you might ask? The Dean told me via email.


Because of a 0.04 drop? That's a bit on the ridiculous side. :?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby r6_philly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:28 am

hellokitty wrote:Because of a 0.04 drop? That's a bit on the ridiculous side. :?


Seriously, what is that? One B?

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby Cupidity » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:46 am

5 a's 2 b's. I was told the magic number for ED with a 166 was 3.85

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:49 am

Cupidity wrote:5 a's 2 b's. I was told the magic number for ED with a 166 was 3.85


The magic number for anyone below 170 is 3.85.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby im_blue » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:16 am

Cupidity wrote:5 a's 2 b's. I was told the magic number for ED with a 166 was 3.85

Which means you would have hit 3.85 and gotten admitted with 6 A's and 1 B.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:20 am

Cupidity wrote:5 a's 2 b's. I was told the magic number for ED with a 166 was 3.85


No in between stuff? I try to maintain at least a bunch of A-'s over anything starting with a B... major hits to ur GPA once Bs and B+s start showing up

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:23 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:
Cupidity wrote:5 a's 2 b's. I was told the magic number for ED with a 166 was 3.85


No in between stuff? I try to maintain at least a bunch of A-'s over anything starting with a B... major hits to ur GPA once Bs and B+s start showing up


I loved getting a B+. Boosted my GPA nicely.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:27 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:
Cupidity wrote:5 a's 2 b's. I was told the magic number for ED with a 166 was 3.85


No in between stuff? I try to maintain at least a bunch of A-'s over anything starting with a B... major hits to ur GPA once Bs and B+s start showing up


I loved getting a B+. Boosted my GPA nicely.


lol i'm pretty sure grades are different for mister failed UG..

you working hard next year DF?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:33 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:
Cupidity wrote:5 a's 2 b's. I was told the magic number for ED with a 166 was 3.85


No in between stuff? I try to maintain at least a bunch of A-'s over anything starting with a B... major hits to ur GPA once Bs and B+s start showing up


I loved getting a B+. Boosted my GPA nicely.


lol i'm pretty sure grades are different for mister failed UG..

you working hard next year DF?


Yes, but not overkill. I want to enjoy law school while succeeding. So I'm going to avoid aimless time wasters like TLS, non recorded TV, and video games.

Bar review yes; watching adult swim at 2am no.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby legalease9 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:37 am

I find it hard to believe you are giving up TLS!

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:38 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Yes, but not overkill. I want to enjoy law school while succeeding. So I'm going to avoid aimless time wasters like TLS, non recorded TV, and video games.

Bar review yes; watching adult swim at 2am no.


lol yeah I don't think i'm bringing a TV at all... i've been so chill this year that I'm not sure I remembr how to be productive anymore tho


and DF isn't giving up TLS... i'm pretty sure for him its Nicotine < TLS < Heroin

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:07 am

legalease9 wrote:I find it hard to believe you are giving up TLS!

Jas
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby Jas » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:25 am

That the Law School Predictor isn't great at factoring in ED admissions boosts: it gave me "weak consider" and although there is nothing outstanding on my application (no 3 children saved), I somehow got in. So, in a nutshell, those of you who think you don't have a chance (like I did) should probably go ahead and reach for some reaches...

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:27 am

Admissions cycles for splitters are weird.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby JCougar » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:31 am

Jas wrote:That the Law School Predictor isn't great at factoring in ED admissions boosts: it gave me "weak consider" and although there is nothing outstanding on my application (no 3 children saved), I somehow got in. So, in a nutshell, those of you who think you don't have a chance (like I did) should probably go ahead and reach for some reaches...


I believe LSP primarily uses each law school's index formula to calculate it's decisions. Some schools care more about their formula than anything else, and some are more interested in gaming the system/medians. LSP works almost perfectly for predicting the former. For the latter, you're better off looking at the school's LSN profile and figuring out what their target medians are.

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby lawduder » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:26 am

TLS is overly pessimistic about chances and advice should be taken with a bowl of salt.

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby hellokitty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:36 am

lawduder wrote:TLS is overly pessimistic about chances and advice should be taken with a bowl of salt.

User avatar
Encyclopedia Brown
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 am

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:39 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Admissions cycles for splitters are weird.

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby hellokitty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:40 am

Splitter > Reverse Splitter

AtticusFinch
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: What have you learned through this 2010 application cycle?

Postby AtticusFinch » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:57 am

LieutKaffee wrote:I've learned I'm not as great a guy as I thought I was.


Looks like someone discovered humility. It will serve you well. Good luck with CLS.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adamcohen3 and 5 guests