(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
newyorker88

Re: What is an offense?

Postby newyorker88 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:08 pm

iYale wrote:You provided us with a scenario, you never once mentioned that YOU were charged and plead guilty, because if that were the case you basically answered your own question, thereby wasting everyone else's time!! No heat man, I'm just saying...

edit: I'm not trying to be a douche, but it almost seems like common sense to me...

Of course I plead guilty. If I didn't then there's no issue. The question asks have you every been convicted of a crime or an offense. I have been convicted of things. The point of the thread is to see if the things I have been convicted of are considered an offense. Why everyone else got the point of the thread (to determine if the things I've done fall under the category of offense) except for you is beyond me.

iYale

Postby iYale » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:14 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
iYale wrote:You provided us with a scenario, you never once mentioned that YOU were charged and plead guilty, because if that were the case you basically answered your own question, thereby wasting everyone else's time!! No heat man, I'm just saying...

edit: I'm not trying to be a douche, but it almost seems like common sense to me...

Of course I plead guilty. If I didn't then there's no issue. The question asks have you every been convicted of an offense. I have been convicted of things, I mentioned them. The point of the thread is to see if the things I have been convicted of are considered an offense

Were these "things" against the law? If you were charged with "doing something wrong" then apparently they were. If something offends the law, it is an offense. Why do you insist on making this hard for yourself? You drove in NY with out of state insurance which is prohibited by NY law, correct? So, if you were charged then you broke some law, breaking the law is considered an offense. Did I miss something?

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:17 pm

I think they're using the word "offense" as a very general term in this case. In New York there are felonies, misdemeanors and violations. Violations are non-criminal, meaning they do not get reported on your rap sheet, but they would still be considered an offense. I would think parking tickets are the exception here because they are charged to the vehicle, not the person, and are handled by the department of finance, not the court system.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:22 pm

iYale wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:

Of course I plead guilty. If I didn't then there's no issue. The question asks have you every been convicted of an offense. I have been convicted of things, I mentioned them. The point of the thread is to see if the things I have been convicted of are considered an offense

Were these "things" against the law? If you were charged with "doing something wrong" then apparently they were. If something offends the law, it is an offense. Why do you insist on making this hard for yourself? if you were charged then you broke some law, breaking the law is considered an offense. Did I miss something?

Yes you did.Things that are against the law have categories i.e. crimes, violations, offenses. Not everything that is against the law is an offense. you are wrong. You have entirely missed the point of the thread. Are the specific things that I was convicted of considred offenses by NY standards

You drove in NY with out of state insurance

No I did not. I was not living in NY and never drove in NY with out of state insurance although you can drive in NY with out of state insurance. that's perfectly legal. The law I broke was having you're car registered in ny but having another state's insurance. but you completely misreading what was said is a mute point. just felt the need to correct your false statement. you seem to be making alot of them
Last edited by newyorker88 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

iYale

Postby iYale » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:26 pm

Maybe this would help you out a bit. --LinkRemoved--
Also, do you have access to your record. That would probably be your best source.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:43 pm

iYale wrote:Maybe this would help you out a bit. --LinkRemoved--
Also, do you have access to your record. That would probably be your best source.

Thank you very helpful!

iYale

Postby iYale » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:46 pm

No problem, again, didn't mean to be a douche. Good luck bro

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:09 pm

When it doubt disclose everything but I think they're mostly looking for misdemeanors and felonies. In no state I know of are any of those things misdemeanors even.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”