teach abroad?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kevod10386

teach abroad?

Postby kevod10386 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:25 pm

So I recently put down a deposit at a school thats relatively expensive and i had no scholarshi and planned on taking out loans to pay for it...its a school that has a very good repuation in the city and a decent reputation throughout the state. Its also where my mom, a practicing attorney went to school, so its where I grew up and where I have a lot of connections. The other day my friend who teaches abroad facebooked me and let me know that there were openings and I could probably have one. I don't like the thought of going into a lot of debt, and I feel like I could do better on the LSAT if I studied more (kind of half-assed it before). So what are the positives/negatives of taking two years and teaching abroad then reapplying to law school? My GPA is 3.5 and my LSAT was a 160.

MoS

Re: teach abroad?

Postby MoS » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:28 pm

Where would you be teaching?

kevod10386

Postby kevod10386 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:29 pm

yap its in micronesia; i know some people will probably say that yap will suck but I think it'd be cool plus I could use it as a jump off point to see some places I might not get to otherwise

MoS

Postby MoS » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:45 pm

I taught in Thailand for a year, not two. I don't know if I would do it two years. But I really enjoyed it. Here is my take

Pros:
It gives you time to mature and reflect. Half assing it on the second most important test of a lawyers career isn't really that mature. It may be a result of not knowing what you wanted to do, which time abroad will help you out with that decision. It may be that you didn't have the discipline to sit and study. Either way I think living remotely from family and longtime friends helps with developing discipline.

It's good for a resume. Teaching is both work experience and community service in my book. You are working, but you are also sacrificing your own time and probably a bigger salary to help others. I think that is a plus in many admissions committee's eyes. At the very least you it gives you the edge of the exact same candidate that is still an undergrad, and probably those who have worked the same time in cubicle somewhere.

It's an island. There have got to be lots of enjoyable things to do and places to visit, and that is always nice.

It will make you more "worldly' whatever that means.

Cons:
It's two years, and if thats a commitment thats hard to get out of. You may be miserable for two years. Also it puts you two years behind those of your age.

It might be too distracting and not help you out at all.

I am not sure where you can take the LSAT anywhere near Micronesia and getting the books there to study could be expensive if you don't bring them with you. That will make it more expensive for you to study and take the LSAT especially if you have to travel to take it, plus that, traveling, may throw you off when taking it (time difference, jet lag, new place to sleep) little things can throw someone off.

It will make corresponding with law schools a pain. I did it and it was more stressful than I think it would have been in the US, because you have to wait extra time for messages to be relayed. The time differences make interviews and phone calls more difficult to set up.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”