MBA and getting into Grad School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Crazy Alice

New

MBA and getting into Grad School

Post by Crazy Alice » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:00 pm

Hello All,

This is my first post, so here goes. I am thinking of going to law school. I will be completing my MBA this Fall, my undergrad work is less than par, however, my MBA gpa is 3.7 and I am hopeful to raise it to 3.8 by graduation, but assuming its 3.7 when I graduate with an MBA, and get an average LSAT score, which at this point I am not sure what exactly an average score is, what would be the posibility of me getting into Law School, such as Rutgers Camden.

My undergrad gpa is 2.5, but I am hoping that my grad work, along with recomendations and resume would help my status of getting into law school?

Any thoughts?

bobo11111111111

New

Re: MBA and getting into Grad School

Post by bobo11111111111 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:12 pm

It's my understanding that it won't hurt. But, it's not going to help a whole lot. Comes down to the LSAT.

Crazy Alice

New

Post by Crazy Alice » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:15 pm

What would a good score be for the LSAT? my buddy got a 163 and got into Seton Hall, but he's very smart and studies well, so I am assuming I can score about 150-155, but will this suffice to get into Law school?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:17 pm

Crazy Alice wrote:What would a good score be for the LSAT? my buddy got a 163 and got into Seton Hall, but he's very smart and studies well, so I am assuming I can score about 150-155, but will this suffice to get into Law school?
With a 155 and a 2.5, chances are you will not get into law school period, let alone Rutgers. Your graduate GPA is only marginally relevant. Law schools will focus on your undergrad GPA. Not trying to be mean, just saying what the statistics would suggest.

Why do you want to go to law school if you already have an MBA?

dramaticpaws

New

Post by dramaticpaws » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:20 pm

You will need a pretty darn good LSAT to overcome that 2.5, according to LSP you don't reach "weak consider" status until a 164 (162 for their part time program) LSAT score. If you really want it, you're gonna have to rock that test.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iiifly

New

Post by iiifly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:44 am

Alice -

You certainly can get into law school. Your GPA, however, is a liability. If your serious about this, I would register for the October LSAT and study over the summer. You will need a 160+ to give yourself a good chance. I would suggest than in addition to applying to both Rutgers programs, also applying to Tier 3 schools in the area as they'll be more lenient (maybe perhaps New York Law School?)

I am going to law school after my MBA, but I had a 3.4 in undergrad and 3.74 in the program. I'm also wondering how much they weight this as well.

iiifly

New

Post by iiifly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:50 am

For more insight on your chances I've created this query:
http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=0910

It shows applicants with a UGPA within your range (2.45 - 2.55) and all LSAT scores above 150. It should give you an idea of your chances for law school in general.

With respect to Rutgers Newark - check this out:
http://rutgers-newark.lawschoolnumbers. ... &order=asc

It shows that people with a relatively low GPA have gained entry. I see someone with a 2.4 and 161. 2.35 and 163. Also, I see that a 159 and a 2.48 was waitlisted. Looks like the dividing line is around 160 for acceptance. GL

Pee N

New

Post by Pee N » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:23 pm

I agree with what the posters above have said. It can't hurt. But it all depends on tier of LS if you are gunning for.

Keep in mind that for law school or med school admissions, only your first undergrad matters. So if your 1st year undergrad degree has an awful GPA (ie. sub 2.0) but in your second or third UG or even a grad degree you have with a good GPA (eg. 4.33), the adcoms will still compound and take in to account your 1st UG.

But not to worry. There are many ways to overcome a not-so-glamorous GPA.

FWIW, my undergrad GPA was low (but then again I was in engineering), but I also have an MBA from a top 3 b-school coupled with many years of solid Wall St.-esque WE. My LSAT is in the low 160s, but I have still gotten offers from 3 schools, including two T14s and now I'm in the run for a top 3 law school.

My best advice: if you can, go out and get some work experience for at least a good few years then apply. It will make your application much stronger, especially if you are an older non-trad. You can probably still get in to Rutgers-Camden, but I also think it is possible for you to get in to a much better school if you can present an interesting application that shows what your numbers don't.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”