LSAT 4th time?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mugrad06

LSAT 4th time?

Postby mugrad06 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:03 am

So my cycle didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. I still have two schools to hear from, but at this point I don't think I'll get in. I really want to go to WVU. I'm from WV and would like to stay in WV. Unfortunetly my LSAT score sucks, it's a 146. Yeah I know how bad it is and yes I did study for the LSAT. I've taken it 3 times and the last time I took it Oct 2008 I also did prep with Kaplan and was doing fairly well on the practice tests (low 150s) but totally bombed come test day. I really don't think I do standardized tests well. I've been looking into other options besides law school like going back to school for a teaching degree (even have an interview at Xavier on Monday) but I still always come back to should I try again. I guess my question is it worth it to try to take the LSAT for a fourth time, does it look bad with Adcoms that you have taken it 4 times? How likely is it for someone given that I have only managed a 3 pt jump from the first test to the last one, to bring their score up 8-9pts. To really maybe have a chance at WVU, I'd like to have my score around 154-155. Oh on a side note too, I saw that WVU moved to 93 in the rankings which surprised me. They have always kinda been teetering btw 3rd/4th tier. Does a 93 ranking make it like a 2 tier now? USNWR has all 100 listed under tier 1 then the rest 3/4 so I was just wondering. I've honestly never paid much attention to the ranks.

shock259

Re: LSAT 4th time?

Postby shock259 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:21 am

You say you've studied, but how much have you actually studied? The Kaplan class is a good start, but you need to do a lot of work on your own.

If you want to take it again, force yourself to take at least 20-30 practice tests. Study at least 4 hours a day. LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES. Get in the habit of taking 2-3 PT's a week. Study for 3 months STRAIGHT.

If you don't want to do that, then get your teaching certificate. Those career prospects are probably better anyway!

mugrad06

Postby mugrad06 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:31 am

shock259 wrote:You say you've studied, but how much have you actually studied? The Kaplan class is a good start, but you need to do a lot of work on your own.

If you want to take it again, force yourself to take at least 20-30 practice tests. Study at least 4 hours a day. LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES. Get in the habit of taking 2-3 PT's a week. Study for 3 months STRAIGHT.

If you don't want to do that, then get your teaching certificate. Those career prospects are probably better anyway!

The test wasn't until October so I started studying after the 4th of July (great way to spend the summer right) So I studied for 3 mos. I did practice tests on my own as well, the Kaplan class wasn't until September. I also lived in an apartment complex and the two guys that lived above me also were taking the October LSAT (they didn't start studying until the Kaplan class and it was their first time they were taking the test, we also had study sessions together) This was my 3rd so I knew what to expect. In the beginning I took a section a week and built up to taking 2-3 practice tests a week. I had two books as well, Kaplan LSAT one and also Curvebreaks which I thought was a lot more helpful. I had some other prep material but I can't remember the name of it. I'm sure I could go digging in my storage building to find where I stuck it though.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:34 am

Personally I took a Kaplan class and hated every minute of it. My diag was a 144 so I knew I had a huge uphill battle. I ended up scoring a 151 on the Dec 08 LSAT and was real discouraged. I ended up buying all the powerscore books, and ended up taking a online powerscore class. Honestly, this was the best decision I ever made, powerscore makes Kaplan look like a joke. I ended up with a 159 not the best LSAT score, probably laughable on TLS but it helped me get into the schools I wanted and with $$. PM if you want to know the teacher I took for the online class.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:57 am

Well, if you only took 2-3 practice tests before test day, you can't really expect to improve drastically. It's a learnable test, but you do have to put a lot of time into it, as I detailed before.

I'd say give up or study HARD. Take 2-3 full length tests a week. Take sections on off days. Review mistakes on off days. Work through the following books

1) Powerscore Logic Games
2) Powerscore Logical Reasoning
3) Powerscore Reading Comprehension
4) Kaplan 180
5) 10 Actual tests (from LSAC) x 3

If you work through all of those in 3 months and take 30 tests, I don't think it is possible to get below a 160, disasters aside.

mugrad06

Postby mugrad06 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:07 am

shock259 wrote:Well, if you only took 2-3 practice tests before test day, you can't really expect to improve drastically. It's a learnable test, but you do have to put a lot of time into it, as I detailed before.

Not 2-3 practice tests before the actually one, 2-3 a week for weeks before the test, so I'd say roughly like 20+ (and that's just on my own, not including the prep course stuff) I was on an upward trend with the practice scores and getting in the low 150s which I was happy with given where I wanted to go. So I did put a lot of time into, and a lot of effort. I knew what was at stake. I'm not the type of person that just say eh I'll do it tomorrow and put it off. I make a plan and I stick to it.

mugrad06

Postby mugrad06 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:14 am

I went back and looked at some of my practice tests in the curve breakers book (its the only one I still had at the house and not in storage) and the practice test were around 154-157 range. I guess my main concern is scoring that on practice and then tanking on the real thing, so whats to say if I go back and do the powerscore bible and still score roughly the same on practice test or maybe higher and still not break 150 on test day. I figure its a gamble anyway, but I just don't want to go through the same thing I did in 08, scoring great on practice and then be completely let down with my test day score.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”