Bringing your dad to meet the deans Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tru

Bronze

Bringing your dad to meet the deans

Post by tru » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:10 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Helmholtz

Gold

Re: Bringing your dad to meet the deans

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:10 pm

yes

malfurion

Bronze

Post by malfurion » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Yeah, that seems really awkward to me. I'm gonna be 31 when I start law school, and I keep telling myself that I'm not too old and I'll fit in just fine. But then I read stories like this and wow, there really is a big difference between me and people who are 22 and still not independent of their parents. Even if I was 22, I couldn't imagine bringing my parents to events, though, so I'm hopeful that these are just rare cases and not the norm.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:Do you guys find it weird that 25 year old applicants bring their dads to ASDs and meeting with Deans? I saw at least 4 people for 1 school's ASD who brought their dads along. Saw another GUY in his mid 20s bring his dad to meet with a dean after a T14 tour.
It's one thing to have your parents walk around with you on a tour, it's completely another to have them meeting with any administrators. I saw multiple parents at one ASD trying to negotiate aid for their child without the child even being present! Are these people gonna have their parents interview for them and depose clients while they're playing PS3?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:31 pm

If your parent is a SCOTUS judge or a former POTUS, it might work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:33 pm

Helmholtz wrote:If your parent is a SCOTUS judge or a former POTUS, it might work.
If that's the case, you probably received T-14 offers as you left the womb.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:32 am

On ASD? Somewhat weird.

During law school shopping/application process? Could be a great idea depending on how many zero's they think he can put on a check.

quetzalcoatl

Bronze

Post by quetzalcoatl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:04 am

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:On ASD? Somewhat weird.

During law school shopping/application process? Could be a great idea depending on how many zero's they think he can put on a check.
Weird, but if he is paying for some/all of your schooling, do whatever he wants!

remotelyfeasible

New

Post by remotelyfeasible » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:04 am

It is weird for people to bring their parents to ASW at all. I might just be raised more independent than most though.

I guess I could see parents wanting to see the school if they are footing any portion of the bill.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:06 am

Yes, its weird. These threads have been popping up a lot lately.

If you want to show your parents the school, fine. Take them on a tour outside of the ASD. (I'm taking my parents with me to look at apartments and take them on a personal tour of the school next fall). But they shoudln't be acting as a chaperone or as your personal advisor.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:08 am

I am totally independent of my parents and have been for years after UG. I would let my dad come to an ASD to see what I'll be getting into and where I'd be going, though. It would be a cool chance for him to see a part of my life. I mean, I didn't bring anyone to ASD, but I don't see the harm. I guess what I am saying is a different motivation than others on thread thread are assuming, though.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:12 am

At HLS's ASW, the parents were the biggest assholes by far.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:20 am

Mattalones wrote:I am totally independent of my parents and have been for years after UG. I would let my dad come to an ASD to see what I'll be getting into and where I'd be going, though. It would be a cool chance for him to see a part of my life. I mean, I didn't bring anyone to ASD, but I don't see the harm. I guess what I am saying is a different motivation than others on thread thread are assuming, though.
+1

ive seen a lot of these threads lately and im surprised as some of the 'strong' opinions in them lol. i can see how having parents at an ASD would be a recipe for disaster, but at the same time, is it so wrong to introduce them to a big part of your life? i guess it comes down to what your parents DO at the ASD, not so much that they are there lol...and all this talk about "only if they are paying for law school!" haha

sry, its just really hard for me to relate since my parents are chinese immigrants and ive been raised differently when it comes to family culture. my parents would have gone w/ me to ASW if i had had the chance to go, though they'd prob just take a small tour themselves and only rarely be w/ me (and never speak to any faculty lol, my mom cant even speak english).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Generic20101L

Bronze

Post by Generic20101L » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:51 am

Mattalones wrote:I am totally independent of my parents and have been for years after UG. I would let my dad come to an ASD to see what I'll be getting into and where I'd be going, though. It would be a cool chance for him to see a part of my life. I mean, I didn't bring anyone to ASD, but I don't see the harm. I guess what I am saying is a different motivation than others on thread thread are assuming, though.
This. It's not weird at all. I trust my dad more than anyone else, how is it bad to take him to visit a school with me?

Trifles

Bronze

Post by Trifles » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:58 am

OGR3 wrote:
Daytukrjabs wrote:Do you guys find it weird that 25 year old applicants bring their dads to ASDs and meeting with Deans? I saw at least 4 people for 1 school's ASD who brought their dads along. Saw another GUY in his mid 20s bring his dad to meet with a dean after a T14 tour.
It's one thing to have your parents walk around with you on a tour, it's completely another to have them meeting with any administrators. I saw multiple parents at one ASD trying to negotiate aid for their child without the child even being present! Are these people gonna have their parents interview for them and depose clients while they're playing PS3?
If the child wasn't with them, I bet they don't even know about their parent trying to negotiate aid. I wouldn't put it past my parents to try something like that when I'm in the bathroom or something, which is why I told them parents arn't allowed at these things.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:11 am

I'd let my dad give me a tour of Penn or Temple. He built or repaired most of the buildings in both schools working as a bricklayer in Philly. ASD doesn't seem like the right time and place, though.

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:49 pm

ConMan345 wrote:At HLS's ASW, the parents were the biggest assholes by far.
lol :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

globallawyer

New

Post by globallawyer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:53 pm

I saw a lot of this at my ASD as well. I'm 21, and my parents REFUSED to come. I think even if they had wanted to, I would have asked them not to. I agree that going on a tour is one thing, but ASD is also time to meet other prospective students and professors, and bringing the parents just makes that seem awkward.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:55 pm

Trifles wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
If the child wasn't with them, I bet they don't even know about their parent trying to negotiate aid. I wouldn't put it past my parents to try something like that when I'm in the bathroom or something, which is why I told them parents arn't allowed at these things.
I guess the main difference in views would depend on how ones parents are. My dad would probably tell me stories about the time when his college's baseball team beat the school we were visiting and we'd trade jokes while hanging out. Other parents might be more inclined to assume agency for their kids. It has never crossed my mind that my parents would do that since I turned about 13, so that is probably why I would trust them to come to things like an ASD. I could TOTALLY see why someone would be against it if their parents are the type to speak on behalf of their kids, though. ... Just depends I guess.

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:56 pm

my parents and i dont have enough time to look at schools on two separate days. regular tours arent given on the same day that a preview day is being held. my parents are paying for school and even if they weren't i'd want them to see my school. thus they came to ASDs with me. when i met with a dean they were not present.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Mattalones wrote:
Trifles wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
I guess the main difference in views would depend on how ones parents are. My dad would probably tell me stories about the time when his college's baseball team beat the school we were visiting and we'd trade jokes while hanging out. Other parents might be more inclined to assume agency for their kids. It has never crossed my mind that my parents would do that since I turned about 13, so that is probably why I would trust them to come to things like an ASD. I could TOTALLY see why someone would be against it if their parents are the type to speak on behalf of their kids, though. ... Just depends I guess.
man +1 again lol

and when is your season 5 coming out?! im so anxious waiting!!
pollaclc wrote:my parents and i dont have enough time to look at schools on two separate days. regular tours arent given on the same day that a preview day is being held. my parents are paying for school and even if they weren't i'd want them to see my school. thus they came to ASDs with me. when i met with a dean they were not present.
prob what would have happened w/ me if i had gone

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:00 pm

I would bring my dad if he wanted to attend. He probably would enjoy it more than me anyways. I wouldn't really care what others thought; I would put family first.

Then again I couldn't even afford my own trips to ASD and my dad is busy working to finance my degree.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:02 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:and when is your season 5 coming out?! im so anxious waiting!!
I am actually waiting for season 4 to come out on DVD. I got into Dexter over Christmas break and watched seasons 1-3 (mad marathons! :-) ). I was SO upset to learn that season 4 just stopped airing when I caught up through the third. I NEED to watch it (4th season) before 5 airs.

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm

Luis Gomez wrote: Then again I couldn't even afford my own trips to ASD
+ this.

also my parents dont talk at these things unless it's 100% appropriate (like at notre dame when they split the guests from admitted students and sat them separately at lunch to mingle with each other and some faculty)

tyjole

New

Post by tyjole » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:17 pm

Exactly what the above posters said. I didn't bring my parents along to anything, but I can understand as a parent wanting to know what your kid is getting into, but only if you are the one paying for it. Dads who are paying for law school in some way deserve to know the kind of institution their money is going to. This may have been their only way to have the assurance that they are helping their kid with something worthwhile.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”