transferring - LSAT is factor??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rocketman

transferring - LSAT is factor??

Postby rocketman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:27 pm

From the UT law website, regarding transferring:
Due to the size of our student body, only a few students with outstanding law school records are accepted as transfer students each year and then only if the applicant presents compelling reasons for continuing his or her law studies in Austin. Even though the applicant is in good standing at his or her present law school, and meets the requirements for admission as set out below, admission as a transfer student is competitive. The decision regarding admission of a transfer applicant will turn on such factors as: the applicant's undergraduate record, the strength of the applicant's law school performance, the Law School's capacity to handle additional students as transfers, and the applicant's reasons for wanting to transfer.

To be eligible for transfer to the School of Law:

your undergraduate performance and Law School Admission Test scores must meet the standard currently applicable for admission to the Law School as a first-year student;

you must be in good standing at your present law school;
you must have completed the first-year (full-time) curriculum at an ABA-accredited law school;
and you must have compiled a superior academic record at your present law school.

I'm pretty confused as to how it makes any sense that one's LSAT score must meet 1st year standards. I would wager that the vast majority of people transfer up to schools they couldn't get into initially, primarily due to their numbers. Hardly anyone transfers down or laterally.

Should this be taken at face-value?

A'nold

Re: transferring - LSAT is factor??

Postby A'nold » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:29 pm

rocketman wrote:From the UT law website, regarding transferring:
Due to the size of our student body, only a few students with outstanding law school records are accepted as transfer students each year and then only if the applicant presents compelling reasons for continuing his or her law studies in Austin. Even though the applicant is in good standing at his or her present law school, and meets the requirements for admission as set out below, admission as a transfer student is competitive. The decision regarding admission of a transfer applicant will turn on such factors as: the applicant's undergraduate record, the strength of the applicant's law school performance, the Law School's capacity to handle additional students as transfers, and the applicant's reasons for wanting to transfer.

your undergraduate performance and Law School Admission Test scores must meet the standard currently applicable for admission to the Law School as a first-year student;

you must have completed the first-year (full-time) curriculum at an ABA-accredited law school;
and you must have compiled a superior academic record at your present law school.

I'm pretty confused as to how it makes any sense that one's LSAT score must meet 1st year standards. I would wager that the vast majority of people transfer up to schools they couldn't get into initially, primarily due to their numbers. Hardly anyone transfers down or laterally.

UT is retarded for this reason, as well as their whole only accepted state residents as transfers thing. Pretty much the most unfriendly to transfers law school in the country. I'd probably have a better chance getting into Yale being an out-of-stater with lower pre-law numbers. Seriously.

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:31 pm

I'm actually curious about this. Do they care in general or not? I have heard mixed things.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:33 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:37 pm

A'nold wrote:

UT is retarded for this reason, as well as their whole only accepted state residents as transfers thing. Pretty much the most unfriendly to transfers law school in the country. I'd probably have a better chance getting into Yale being an out-of-stater with lower pre-law numbers. Seriously.

Damn. Certainly not the answer I was hoping to hear...

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:37 pm

I know for a fact that almost all law schools put either no weight or much less weight on the LSAT if you are a first year transfer. They primarily look at your GPA and rank of your first year at whichever law school you are transferring from. Of course it may look better, if transferring to a tier1 school, from a t3 school as opposed to a t4 school.

although I know people who have transferred from t4's (i.e. widener) to t1's (i.e. brooklyn/fordham) - so it can be done.

btw both those people scored below a 155 on their LSAT.

hope that helps.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:40 pm

A'nold wrote:

They only accept in-state residents for transfers?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”