Questionable URM status...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BarbellDreams

Questionable URM status...

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:59 am

I have a friend (and yes, this really is a friend, as I am a white non-URM student) that has filed as a URM. She is Pakistani which certainly does NOT meet the URM status. I told her about this and she said that she thinks she is a URM and is putting it down and its not like they will find out anyway.

My question is:

A.) How in the world DO law schools find out if you are or are not a URM?
B.) Will anyone ever find out if you fudge your application as a URM, if so, how?
C.) What are the repercussions for this?

I told her if it was that easy then EVERYONE would be putting down URM status, but she said she feels like she is a URM and worse case scenario she will just say she thought she was and thats that.

umichgrad

Re: Questionable URM status...

Postby umichgrad » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:02 am

BarbellDreams wrote:I have a friend (and yes, this really is a friend, as I am a white non-URM student) that has filed as a URM. She is Pakistani which certainly does NOT meet the URM status. I told her about this and she said that she thinks she is a URM and is putting it down and its not like they will find out anyway.

My question is:

B.) Will anyone ever find out if you fudge your application as a URM, if so, how?

I told her if it was that easy then EVERYONE would be putting down URM status, but she said she feels like she is a URM and worse case scenario she will just say she thought she was and thats that.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain you don't "put down URM" on your application; rather, you actually state your ethnicity/race. If she writes Pakistani, it's up to the school to decide what to do with that (and Pakistani is decidedly not URM).

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:03 am

umichgrad wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I have a friend (and yes, this really is a friend, as I am a white non-URM student) that has filed as a URM. She is Pakistani which certainly does NOT meet the URM status. I told her about this and she said that she thinks she is a URM and is putting it down and its not like they will find out anyway.

My question is:

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain you don't "put down URM" on your application; rather, you actually state your ethnicity/race. If she writes Pakistani, it's up to the school to decide what to do with that (and Pakistani is decidedly not URM).

You would be correct.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:05 am

I don't really remember the apps anymore but isn't there an "other" box? I don't remember a "URM" box but would "other" constitute it? For the sake of argument, lets say someone puts down hispanic when they are clearly white, how will the school find out?

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:09 am

BarbellDreams wrote:I don't really remember the apps anymore but isn't there an "other" box? I don't remember a "URM" box but would "other" constitute it? For the sake of argument, lets say someone puts down hispanic when they are clearly white, how will the school find out?

I'll take character with a side of fitness, please.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:24 am

BarbellDreams wrote:I don't really remember the apps anymore but isn't there an "other" box? I don't remember a "URM" box but would "other" constitute it? For the sake of argument, lets say someone puts down hispanic when they are clearly white, how will the school find out?

Well if I remember correctly, I'm sure if you choose other, you would have to specify what "other" actually means.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:00 pm

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:10 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:A.) How in the world DO law schools find out if you are or are not a URM?

A.) Who cares how they find out? They will.
B.) Yes, and once again, who cares how?
C.) Not being able to sit for the bar for character and fitness faults. Don't lie on your application. The repercussions are certainly not worth it.
D.) /thread

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:11 pm

I guess I don't understand... if she is Pakistani, and she said she is on her application, what's the big deal?

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:22 pm

My question is:

What do you mean she "put down that she was URM"? There is no such question anywhere. You put down your background and schools determine if you are a URM

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:27 pm

newyorker88 wrote:

My question is:

What do you mean she "put down that she was URM"? There is no such question anywhere. You put down your background and schools determine if you are a URM

Um, you guys didn't get the pink URM sticker to add to all your apps?

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:33 pm

theantiscalia wrote:I guess I don't understand... if she is Pakistani, and she said she is on her application, what's the big deal?

If all she said was that she was Pakistani, then there is no problem. Simply answering the question does not mean she is considering herself a URM. If she's thinking this will make her considered a URM for the boost, she shouldn't hold her breath, though.

remotelyfeasible

Postby remotelyfeasible » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:10 pm

I don't understand why you care. Unless she lied on her app, she'll be fine.

hubtubrub

Postby hubtubrub » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:17 pm

wtf.
this post has screwed over all over it...

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:19 pm

There was a place to put down 'URM'? :?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”