Cardozo (full scholarship) vs Geroge Washington (sticker)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AE12345

Cardozo (full scholarship) vs Geroge Washington (sticker)

Postby AE12345 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:38 am

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate the help. I am gong to make a deposit today on Cardozo but I also feel like I should be considering GW especially with the new rankings. I know the rankings are not what you should depend on completely but I always considered GW and, as a person who is unsure of what type of law he wants to go into, I want to afford myself the best opportunities upon graduation.

Also, while i would like to work for a while in NY or DC, i would eventually want to come back to California.

Should i take the money and not think about GW, or would that be a mistake to pass up on such a great school?

Thanx

snowpeach06

Re: Cardozo (full scholarship) vs Geroge Washington (sticker)

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:47 am

Cardozo is a great school that seems respected in a great area. Same from GW (and yes, it is now much better ranked so it might have some more portability), but, it's also one of the most expensive law schools. Honestly, I think you'll be just fine going to Cardozo, despite what all the haters say.

AE12345

Postby AE12345 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:36 pm

Thanks for the Reply. I switch back and forth pretty much everyday with which way im leaning. The other thing is...if I'm not at the top of my class at Cardozo what job prospects do I have? Same type of question for GW.

I just want to get a good sense of my options.

-A

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:43 pm

Neither is ultimately a "good" option for Cali, so this makes giving advice difficult. The most helpful thing I could tell you would be to pick the city (DC vs. NYC) where you'd rather live for 10+ years if you were, unfortunately, forced to stay put for that amount of time.

If money is less a consideration than location, the answer to the above question should lead you in the right direction. If money is the larger concern, Cardozo wins it. But be aware of certain unsavory practices Cardozo has been known to engage in with scholarship students, namely section stacking. To avoid this problem, negotiate your scholarship to be NO STRINGS ATTACHED, PERIOD.

AE12345

Postby AE12345 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:48 pm

I heard that section stacking is just a myth. And doesnt GW have good pull to NY? I mean wont GW give me more of an option as far as cities to work in where as Cardozo has good pull in NYC but not much reach beyond that. Furthermore, there are a lot of good NY schools and GW is one of the top 2 best schools in DC. Does this account for more mobility?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”