Whittier vs. Golden Gate vs. La Verne

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Whittier vs. Golden Gate vs. La Verne

Postby 20160810 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:37 pm

onthecusp wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:They are all, as you know, pretty bad law schools. The stark reality is that taking out substantial debt to attend any of them is a really dicey proposition. It seems like the game plan might be to take the close to full 1st year scholly at La Verne, gun like crazy, pray for a top-5% spot in your class, and then transfer to a T1 school after 1L before you are stuck paying $40,000 a year for a JD from LaVerne. But doing that means you need to realize that:

A.) No matter how hard you work, grades in law school are often difficult to predict
B.) There is a substantial chance that you will not be top-5%
C.) If that happens, there is an even more substantial chance that your best bet is dropping out rather than paying full tuition for 2L

He's not paying sticker...he got scholly's numbnuts.

Reading Comprehension wasn't your LSAT section was it?

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:45 pm

tadams86 wrote:The information on whittier schollys is inaccurate, at least according to a friend who was accepted and received a scholly. She was given 15k with a 25% stipulation, and later given a 4k stipend for some clinic they have. Now before I hear a bunch of crap, I realize that being in the top 25% of your class is rather steep, but better than automatically losing the scholly after first year.

**note- I am pretty sure my friend is not lying to me.

I don't want to speak for your friend, but I got my information directly from a face to face conversation with the Admissions Dean Tom McColl. He explicitly stated that Whittier does not give out renewable scholarships after the first year, and all scholarships were determined by class rank during your 2nd and 3rd years.

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:47 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
onthecusp wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:They are all, as you know, pretty bad law schools. The stark reality is that taking out substantial debt to attend any of them is a really dicey proposition. It seems like the game plan might be to take the close to full 1st year scholly at La Verne, gun like crazy, pray for a top-5% spot in your class, and then transfer to a T1 school after 1L before you are stuck paying $40,000 a year for a JD from LaVerne. But doing that means you need to realize that:

A.) No matter how hard you work, grades in law school are often difficult to predict
B.) There is a substantial chance that you will not be top-5%
C.) If that happens, there is an even more substantial chance that your best bet is dropping out rather than paying full tuition for 2L

He's not paying sticker...he got scholly's numbnuts.

Reading Comprehension wasn't your LSAT section was it?

His scholarship at La Verne is renewable based on the stipulations....I addressed the Whittier scholly and made no comment on the Golden Gate scholly. Therefore, you lose.

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:50 pm

La Verne is offering $25,000+ for my first year which is about 70% tuition, conditional as well.

La Verne is offering $25,000+ for my first year which is about 70% tuition, conditional as well.

He meant to say renewable based on stipulations.

tadams86

Postby tadams86 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:51 pm

onthecusp wrote:
tadams86 wrote:The information on whittier schollys is inaccurate, at least according to a friend who was accepted and received a scholly. She was given 15k with a 25% stipulation, and later given a 4k stipend for some clinic they have. Now before I hear a bunch of crap, I realize that being in the top 25% of your class is rather steep, but better than automatically losing the scholly after first year.

I don't want to speak for your friend, but I got my information directly from a face to face conversation with the Admissions Dean Tom McColl. He explicitly stated that Whittier does not give out renewable scholarships after the first year, and all scholarships were determined by class rank during your 2nd and 3rd years.

LOL @ her then, I tried to convince her to go to southwestern...at least I convinced her to not do online law school

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:56 pm

tadams86 wrote:
onthecusp wrote:

LOL @ her then, I tried to convince her to go to southwestern...at least I convinced her to not do online law school

Seriously? She chose Whittier over Southwestern?

She wasn't lying about the stipend part. The 4k is renewable every year she is in one of the three clinics. The Scholarship, however, is not. And truth be told, I was really impressed with the Child Advocacy clinic. That was the one positive I took away from Whittier.

tadams86

Postby tadams86 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:58 pm

She seriously chose Whittier over Southwestern (at sticker), I guess some of her family lives down near Costa Mesa. Still, I have heard that place looks like a high school! Oh well I'm not going there anyway!

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:07 pm

bvillaro wrote:I know they are all T4s so spare the jokes/sarcasm please.

Can anyone give me pros/cons to each school, or maybe any helpful opinions by which I can base my decision?

Whittier is offering me $8,000 for the first year, w/ a chance for more based on how my first year goes.
GGU is offering $30,000 total, conditionally.

I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools, but these were the first to accept me that I'd actually consider.

Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated!

Golden Gate Bridge is gorgeous!! You should go there.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:06 pm

baboon309 wrote:Golden Gate Bridge is gorgeous!! You should go there.
I'm assuming this is a joke, but just in case some people take it seriously: you really can't see the bridge from GGU. It would be more accurate to call it Bay Bridge University.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 pm

tadams86 wrote:She seriously chose Whittier over Southwestern (at sticker), I guess some of her family lives down near Costa Mesa. Still, I have heard that place looks like a high school! Oh well I'm not going there anyway!

I also know an Armenian girl who made this choice last year. I didn't think it was a very smart move at the time.

bvillaro

Postby bvillaro » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:58 am

Thanks for all your opinions, I didn't get in to Cal Western for those few that were wondering.

So, the general consensus at this point seems to go ahead with GGU, La Verne (bc of the $), then Whittier in that order.

I've yet to tour GGU, but upon visiting the campuses of LV and Whittier, I was more impressed with Whittier's because the staff and my tour guide (a current 3L) seemed really down-to-earth and honest, and I just left there with a really positive vibe. I was also impressed w/ their Clinics/Externship opportunities and well-schooled faculty. The campus really is high schoolish like someone mentioned, even having the hs style locker rooms for students. But it doesn't hurt that the campus is basically in my backyard, just 35 minutes from my home, while my sister and her family live in Irvine just 10 minutes away.

La Verne's building-campus was much much smaller than I had thought, only consisting of a single two-story building, and although the immediate neighborhood was cute, it's still the Inland Empire - and I would much rather prefer to live/"grow" in the bay area or OC for the next 3+ years. It took me about 10-15 minutes to tour the "campus" and frankly I wasn't that impressed. There really was no 'social life' nearby either, so it makes me wonder if I'd really be "happy" there. BTW, LV is about and hour + fifteen from where I live, so no chance of commuting. Also, recent graduating classes of the last several years didn't look like they topped 30 students, which seems maybe a little too intimate for me.

Money aside, it seems like Whittier is the best fit for me, on paper. But the main argument here might just be quality of life vs. the $$$. I'd feel most at home at Whittier, but unless I finish in the top 15% or so it probably won't be worth it to stick around for 2L - and at least LV gives me more insurance for that risk.

I'm still crossing my fingers for my remaining schools, but between these 3 I'm still pretty torn. GGU is still in the back of my mind, but after visiting Whittier it definitely made a positive push.

Well, I just thought I'd throw more info out there for you and hopefully get some new insight. Thanks again and more opinions are appreciated..

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”