Am I the wrong type of person for law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
creatinganalt

Re: Am I the wrong type of person for law school?

Postby creatinganalt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:40 pm

kn6542 wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:The OP sounds like he is on the autistic spectrum?

Actually, he really doesn't.

He sounds annoying. It was shorthand.

william wallace

Postby william wallace » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:07 pm

I have similar thoughts as the OP. When I first opened this link, I thought I would just scroll down to the end without looking at all the negative, yet quick-witted, responses people had written and say something like "Don't listen to all that BS." Obviously no need to.

If anyone believes in the Myers-Briggs personality test, especially the OP, there is a post about this. I am an INFP. I believe the study said most lawyers were INTJ. Don't quote me on that. The I is for introverted as opposed to Extroverted. I'm glad someone posted the difference in being shy vs. introverted to help all the other geniuses out. Luckily, that letter isn't that important because it just depends on the type of law you will practice.

I also think it's funny how some the people who aren't secure seem to have it all together. Just a front. Reality check: No one does. No one. I think people on here need to be able to admit that a little more readily. I sure don't have it together. This forum is to help us all. You will be good at whatever you do OP. Great advice on here. Rock out with your **** out or just hang out with your w*** out

mirpanda

Postby mirpanda » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:01 pm

As an introvert, (INTP who occasionally scores INFP on the Myers-Briggs test) I can attest to the difference between shyness and introversion. Introverts process feelings, experiences, and ideas internally, are highly introspective, and do not generally need to outwardly express themselves through interaction with others. Introversion does not equal insecurity. Many introverts are quite stable and confident and are not needy in the way that many extroverts can be with regards to other people.

However, with the realization that in virtually any career, an introvert will be required to interface with other people at some point, it is a good idea to hone one's social and speaking skills. I can speak to this through personal experience. As one who is often quite content being alone in my own mind, my social and speaking skills diminish by virtue of inactivity. However, through deliberate effort and practice, I can polish my skills and no one would be any wiser that I'm not naturally inclined to be social or a good speaker. That's why I suggest, OP, that you do join organizations designed to enhance these skills, because I suspected from your post that you do not feel confident or comfortable in these areas.

Seriously, check out Toastmasters in your city. It would be different attending a community Toastmasters meeting rather than a university sponsored organization simply because a wider variety of membership would be represented other than college students. It would also be full of people like you who are also not confident in their speaking skills and are seeking to improve in a supportive learning environment. Not only do you practice public speaking, but there are also activities designed to enhance your interpersonal communication skills, either one-on-one or small group settings.

I think you have the capacity to do just fine in law. In addition, you are mature enough to recognize and admit your weaknesses. While working your strengths, you can improve in the areas in which you doubt yourself and be an indomitable force in whatever you choose to pursue. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”