No credit for class ?!?!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tdaly01

No credit for class ?!?!

Postby tdaly01 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:19 pm

:|

In order for me to get credit in a class required for my major I have to get a C or above. I am currently at the border for one of these classes. If I blow it and get a C- and recieve 0 credit, how will this factor into the lsac gpa? Will they see no credit and make it an F or will they ignore it?

MidlawMyth

Re: No credit for class ?!?!

Postby MidlawMyth » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:24 pm

F. Drop it if you can.

tdaly01

Postby tdaly01 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:24 pm

thanks your your response :D

I might be in a more complicated situation than I thought :oops:

It looks like if I get an 80 or above on the final I will get a C and get credit, but if not I'm SOL.

IDK if I should roll the dice and try to get that 80 or if I should drop the class ( I have until tuesday 4/20)! :shock:

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:26 pm

it would count it as a C-

booboo

Postby booboo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:30 pm

You don't mind a C on the transcript? Is this a necessary class?

tdaly01

Postby tdaly01 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:11 pm

Does anybody know the definite answer? I could deal with taking the class over again if I got a C- but there's no way I could stomach an F on the LSAC GPA. Would a C- register as a C- with no credit or an F. Adn to answer another poster, it is a required class, and I would not care if I got a C in this class because I literally have an A in every other class, A A A A C = 3.6, my average is a 3.2 right now.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:26 pm

So this class is offered either with letter grade or credit/no credit, right? And you need a C to get a "CR" on your transcript, while C- or lower gets you a "NC." LSAC will count that NC as an F = 0.0, even if your undergrad doesn't count it in their GPA.

jc631

Postby jc631 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:35 pm

The class will count as whatever grade you receive. He might not get credit for the class towards his major but the grade will count towards your LSAC GPA regardless. Even if you retake the course in order for it to count towards your major the original grade will count as whatever it was in addition to the retake.

tdaly01

Postby tdaly01 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:45 pm

jc631 wrote:The class will count as whatever grade you receive. He might not get credit for the class towards his major but the grade will count towards your LSAC GPA regardless. Even if you retake the course in order for it to count towards your major the original grade will count as whatever it was in addition to the retake.

But if it's a C- that has 0 credit power, then it seems like it would be an F in the LSAC GPA.

jc631

Postby jc631 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:14 pm

tdaly01 wrote:
jc631 wrote:The class will count as whatever grade you receive. He might not get credit for the class towards his major but the grade will count towards your LSAC GPA regardless. Even if you retake the course in order for it to count towards your major the original grade will count as whatever it was in addition to the retake.

But if it's a C- that has 0 credit power, then it seems like it would be an F in the LSAC GPA.

When classes don't count towards your major it isn't a zero credit class it just doesn't count towards progress within your major (same as an elective). At least at my undergrad, it would still be listed on your transcript with whatever grade but you would be required to retake it unless you decide to change your major. Both the retake and the original grade will be factored into the LSAC GPA. I was in a similar situation and after hearing that from LSAC just withdrew and took a W that didn't affect either of my GPAs.

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:26 pm

I think it depends on how the grade is reported on your official transcript. If the transcript indicates you got a C- in a class with 3 credits, LSAC will count it as such when figuring your UGPA, regardless of whether or not your school counts the class towards your degree requirements. If, however, the transcript indicates that you received a C- in a class with 0 credits (effectively stripping you of three credit hours of class), I would think that for purposes of your LSDAS GPA, it would be a wash (i.e. C- * 0 = 0). And yes, there are 0 credit class you can take (mainly in the sciences), and yes, a 0 credit class in a required class would look awful on your transcript especially if you took it the next year for credit.

I do think that jc631 is more on target with his/her assessment.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”