Morse's Agenda (let's keep it real)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SlipperyPete

Re: Morse's Agenda (let's keep it real)

Postby SlipperyPete » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:30 pm

Last edited by SlipperyPete on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:35 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
PDaddy wrote:If we want the rankings madness to stop, the first step is to replace the LSAT with a better test...and fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce57c

To sum up the video: guy who knows what he's talking about says that the LSAT doesn't discriminate against minorities.

I don't think the claim is that the test itself discriminates against minorities. Society has and continues to discriminate against minorities. In addition, blacks disproportionately go to the absolute worst schools in america. As such standardized tests are going to have severe racial implications. Also, the SAT has been found to be culturally biased I wonder if studies have been done on the LSAT as well and what their findings were.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:48 pm

adh07d wrote:
SlipperyPete wrote:
romothesavior wrote:The LSAT tests on logic, which is race-neutral. Its not like they're testing on lacrosse, bass fishing, and Ben Folds...

waxloaf wrote:maybe they should test bass fishing and golfing skills, would be a better predictor of success at large firms

FYI, the top Google Images result for "bass fish winner" is a black man.

The worlds best golfer is half black and half asian, testing on golf would be discrimination against whites!

If you're referring to Tiger Woods you're a bit off. His mother is Chinese and Dutch. His dad is native american, black, and chinese. Not to be anal but he's no where near half black.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:54 pm

luhrenzo wrote:you have provided no motive for usnwr to keep the minorities out. the motive for making $ is obvious. quit blaming everything on racism. URMs get a significant boost in admissions decisions. If any ethnicity should be upset it's hispanics as there is an even more disproportionate representation in law school than blacks yet the boost we see for the two races leans in favor of blacks.

I really love how some people react so defensively. I have a better idea: why don't you quit pretending that it doesn't exist, and that certain people don't have large scale agendas? Why don't you quit pretending that it isn't happening anywhere?

People like to say, "Oh...I know racism is...'out there'...but 'not here'". Well...why not "here"? Everywhere we point, it is a mistake. It's not here, it's not there...no that's wrong, too...and that's not racism; it's something else...and not in that case either...and so on and so forth. You know? I have never had a white person admit a single instance of racism to me, while it was happening, in my entire life! Don't you find that a bit strange?

Morse and his rankings are screwing all of us. And everybody was just fine with the conspiracy theories being spouted until PDaddy brought "race" into it. Now you're up in arms. Conspiracy thoeries are cool to discuss, but don't mention the ones that involve race because nobody wants to hear those...is that how it works?

Really, I don't want this thread to turn into the same long, drawn out debate we've been having for years on TLS. But I called attention to the manipulation b/c it's happeneing right now. People are changing their school choices, URM's are scrambling by the dozens thinking about deferring on law school. Meanwhile, some administrators are about to lose their jobs because the numbers didn't look right. And all the while, this stupid test is throwing everything out of whack b/c the rankings give so much weight to them, forcing schools to lock out URM's. You can pretend it isn't happening, but that won't make it so. USNWR knows exactly what it's doing.
Last edited by PDaddy on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:56 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
adh07d wrote:
SlipperyPete wrote:
romothesavior wrote:The LSAT tests on logic, which is race-neutral. Its not like they're testing on lacrosse, bass fishing, and Ben Folds...

waxloaf wrote:maybe they should test bass fishing and golfing skills, would be a better predictor of success at large firms

FYI, the top Google Images result for "bass fish winner" is a black man.

The worlds best golfer is half black and half asian, testing on golf would be discrimination against whites!

If you're referring to Tiger Woods you're a bit off. His mother is Chinese and Dutch. His dad is native american, black, and chinese. Not to be anal but he's no where near half black.

I diodn't know his dad was "Blasian"...I knew he was "Blindian".

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:13 pm

PDaddy wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
adh07d wrote:The worlds best golfer is half black and half asian, testing on golf would be discrimination against whites!

lol those terms crack me up. The first time I heard Tiger refer to himself as Cablinasian I was like wtf is that lol

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:18 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:23 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

lol those terms crack me up. The first time I heard Tiger refer to himself as Cablinasian I was like wtf is that lol

I'm Gernorbritench. :?

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:25 pm

Implicit racism ftw.

Also where is anything credited in any of these assumptions... on both sides of the argument?

What did English 102 teach you?

YOU NAIVE FOOLS. Kthx.

Also Cablinasian is the new URM.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:28 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:34 pm

There is no doubt that AAs struggle on the LSAT, but that doesn't mean the LSAT is inherently racist or that there is some giant conspiracy theory. LSAC and the adcomms aren't sitting around thinking, "Hmm, I wonder how we can keep these black kids in their rightful place." They do quite the opposite actually; they recognize that AAs do poorly on the LSAT, they understand that blacks and other URMs have historically been denied access to higher learning, they realize that their classes will have a lack of diversity if they use their typical measuring stick for applicants, and they give URMs a boost as a result. On the whole, I think this a great thing.

The reason blacks do poorly on the LSAT relative to whites is complex and is the result of many societal factors. An argument that resorts to conspiracy theories ignores the complexity of the issue, and in many ways, ignores the issue altogether.

PDaddy, the majority of people on TLS are not racist, bigoted, redneck conservatives. Most of us are quite intelligent and well-intentioned. When you get on your racial high horse and throw out these ridiculous propositions (that a man you have never met is racist, based upon zero factual evidence), you alienate and offend all of us. If you really want racial equality and you want everyone to join together to fight for it, you need to stop pushing us away with this obnoxious, unintelligent nonsense.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:44 pm

There is no doubt that AAs struggle on the LSAT, but that doesn't mean the LSAT is inherently racist or that there is some giant conspiracy theory. LSAC and the adcomms aren't sitting around thinking, "Hmm, I wonder how we can keep these black kids in their rightful place." They do quite the opposite actually; they recognize that AAs do poorly on the LSAT, they understand that blacks and other URMs have historically been denied access to higher learning, they realize that their classes will have a lack of diversity if they use their typical measuring stick for applicants, and they give URMs a boost as a result. On the whole, I think this a great thing.

The reason blacks do poorly on the LSAT relative to whites is complex and is the result of many societal factors. An argument that resorts to conspiracy theories ignores the complexity of the issue, and in many ways, ignores the issue altogether.

PDaddy, the majority of people on TLS are not racist, bigoted, redneck conservatives. Most of us are quite intelligent and well-intentioned. When you get on your racial high horse and throw out these ridiculous propositions (that a man you have never met is racist, based upon zero factual evidence), you alienate and offend all of us. If you really want racial equality and you want everyone to join together to fight for it, you need to stop pushing us away with this obnoxious, unintelligent nonsense.

:D Probably one of the greatest comments I've seen on TLS. Somehow OP will consider this racist though. OP your crazy.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:46 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
erniesto wrote:Implicit racism ftw.

Also where is anything credited in any of these assumptions... on both sides of the argument?

What did English 102 teach you?

YOU NAIVE FOOLS. Kthx.

Also Cablinasian is the new URM.

Too pointless to have a side; too weak to be trolling...

...wtf is this post supposed to mean?

I decided I wanted to epitomize the inanity of this thread. I will be more direct next time, if it so pleases you.
Last edited by erniesto on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:There is no doubt that AAs struggle on the LSAT, but that doesn't mean the LSAT is inherently racist or that there is some giant conspiracy theory. LSAC and the adcomms aren't sitting around thinking, "Hmm, I wonder how we can keep these black kids in their rightful place." They do quite the opposite actually; they recognize that AAs do poorly on the LSAT, they understand that blacks and other URMs have historically been denied access to higher learning, they realize that their classes will have a lack of diversity if they use their typical measuring stick for applicants, and they give URMs a boost as a result. On the whole, I think this a great thing.

This. This says it better than I could have.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:54 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:If you're referring to Tiger Woods you're a bit off. His mother is Chinese and Dutch. His dad is native american, black, and chinese. Not to be anal but he's no where near half black.

Earl Woods is more like 3/4 Black and 1/4 (maybe) White.

Not true. He's native american, black, and chinese. The exact break down 1/4th chinese, 1/4th native american and 1/2th black.

--LinkRemoved--

luhrenzo

Postby luhrenzo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:04 pm

PDaddy wrote:
luhrenzo wrote:you have provided no motive for usnwr to keep the minorities out. the motive for making $ is obvious. quit blaming everything on racism. URMs get a significant boost in admissions decisions. If any ethnicity should be upset it's hispanics as there is an even more disproportionate representation in law school than blacks yet the boost we see for the two races leans in favor of blacks.

I really love how some people react so defensively. I have a better idea: why don't you quit pretending that it doesn't exist, and that certain people don't have large scale agendas? Why don't you quit pretending that it isn't happening anywhere?

People like to say, "Oh...I know racism is...'out there'...but 'not here'". Well...why not "here"? Everywhere we point, it is a mistake. It's not here, it's not there...no that's wrong, too...and that's not racism; it's something else...and not in that case either...and so on and so forth. You know? I have never had a white person admit a single instance of racism to me, while it was happening, in my entire life! Don't you find that a bit strange?

Morse and his rankings are screwing all of us. And everybody was just fine with the conspiracy theories being spouted until PDaddy brought "race" into it. Now you're up in arms. Conspiracy thoeries are cool to discuss, but don't mention the ones that involve race because nobody wants to hear those...is that how it works?

Really, I don't want this thread to turn into the same long, drawn out debate we've been having for years on TLS. But I called attention to the manipulation b/c it's happeneing right now. People are changing their school choices, URM's are scrambling by the dozens thinking about deferring on law school. Meanwhile, some administrators are about to lose their jobs because the numbers didn't look right. And all the while, this stupid test is throwing everything out of whack b/c the rankings give so much weight to them, forcing schools to lock out URM's. You can pretend it isn't happening, but that won't make it so. USNWR knows exactly what it's doing.

You still have not provided any rationale for usnwr to discriminate and keep minorities out. i never said racism is non-existent, however, it's ridiculous to think that there is an elaborate conspiracy to exclude minorities when they are clearly given the URM boost. the racism that exists today is more socialized and i would say stems from an overly sensitive society focused on being politically correct. that sort of social sensitivity prohibits actual dialogue on real issues---wait i re-read your post---you aren't attempting to have any sort of meaningful conversation as also havent specifically what your problems with the LSAT are (beside minorities scoring lower) or come up with an alternate form of measurement.

i dont know why i wasted time bothering responding to such a poorly thought out and reasoned post

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:There is no doubt that AAs struggle on the LSAT, but that doesn't mean the LSAT is inherently racist or that there is some giant conspiracy theory. LSAC and the adcomms aren't sitting around thinking, "Hmm, I wonder how we can keep these black kids in their rightful place." They do quite the opposite actually; they recognize that AAs do poorly on the LSAT, they understand that blacks and other URMs have historically been denied access to higher learning, they realize that their classes will have a lack of diversity if they use their typical measuring stick for applicants, and they give URMs a boost as a result. On the whole, I think this a great thing.

Dude. I can't believe you still take this guy seriously.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:31 pm

Unemployed wrote:Dude. I can't believe you still take this guy seriously.

People who've been around long enough know not to take him seriously, but since new people are constantly joining, someone needs to help illuminate for them too why OP is ludicrously wrong.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:10 pm

How the hell is the LSAT culturally biased? I have an idea to fix it... a black LSAT and an everyone else LSAT. The black LSAT will have LG's about matching Daseanda, shantel and Kobe to their favorite chicken restaurant! Or how about an LR passage about the history of Compton!

Funny, I had to read passages about neuroscience on RC... Is the LSAT biased against non scientific people? I read LR questions about bears... Is the LSAT biased against people who hate the outdoors? Oh yeah... I remember numerous RC passages that focused on famous black writers, scientists etc...

HOW IS THIS TEST BIASED!

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:11 pm

Oh boy.

*waits for impending shitstorm*

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:23 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:How the hell is the LSAT culturally biased? I have an idea to fix it... a black LSAT and an everyone else LSAT. The black LSAT will have LG's about matching Daseanda, shantel and Kobe to their favorite chicken restaurant! Or how about an LR passage about the history of Compton!

Funny, I had to read passages about neuroscience on RC... Is the LSAT biased against non scientific people? I read LR questions about bears... Is the LSAT biased against people who hate the outdoors? Oh yeah... I remember numerous RC passages that focused on famous black writers, scientists etc...

HOW IS THIS TEST BIASED!

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:24 pm

kn6542 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Blacks don't just underperform on the LSAT, they underperform on just about every standardized test, due to a wide variety of educational and societal factors. In order to compensate for that, adcomms give URMs a boost. Where is the discrimination on the part of LSAC or anyone else? Just because blacks aren't doing as well as whites on the LSAT does not mean that the test is inherently discriminatory.

The LSAT tests on logic, which is race-neutral. Its not like they're testing on lacross, bass fishing, and Ben Folds... they're testing you on your ability to apply logic in a timed setting. No prior knowledge set is needed, just a skill set: logic.

Maybe they'd do better on the LSAT if the proctors could keep a better beat.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:26 pm

the OP is an example of "when keepin it real goes wrong"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI2RT1zDVLw

Postby 174 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:29 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:How the hell is the LSAT culturally biased? I have an idea to fix it... a black LSAT and an everyone else LSAT. The black LSAT will have LG's about matching Daseanda, shantel and Kobe to their favorite chicken restaurant! Or how about an LR passage about the history of Compton!

HOW IS THIS TEST BIASED!

Why so Stormfront?

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:32 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”