Morse's Agenda (let's keep it real) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rock Chalk

Silver

Re: Morse's Agenda (let's keep it real)

Post by Rock Chalk » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:36 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:38 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:Not true. He's native american, black, and chinese. The exact break down 1/4th chinese, 1/4th native american and 1/2th black.

--LinkRemoved--
"Miles's children by his second wife, Maude Carter, were all of different colours. Miles himself was black, clearly of African ancestry. Maude, however, was lighter-skinned, and Grandmother Carter "the prettiest blonde you ever saw". The shape and setting of Earl's eyes seemed to bear out the family joke that they had had a Chinese ancestor who "didn't stay on his railroad job".

From his obituary on http://www.telegraph.co.uk/
What's the point that you're trying to get across with that? What you just posted doesn't refute anything I've stated

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:39 pm

174 wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:How the hell is the LSAT culturally biased? I have an idea to fix it... a black LSAT and an everyone else LSAT. The black LSAT will have LG's about matching Daseanda, shantel and Kobe to their favorite chicken restaurant! Or how about an LR passage about the history of Compton!

Funny, I had to read passages about neuroscience on RC... Is the LSAT biased against non scientific people? I read LR questions about bears... Is the LSAT biased against people who hate the outdoors? Oh yeah... I remember numerous RC passages that focused on famous black writers, scientists etc...

HOW IS THIS TEST BIASED!
Why so Stormfront?
I just don't get how the LSAT is biased... I really don't. At least I don't see how any culture could 100% relate to the test.

Besides, isn't one of the objectives of the LSAT to push you out of your comfort zone to see if your logic skills hold up under pressure?

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:44 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
174 wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:How the hell is the LSAT culturally biased? I have an idea to fix it... a black LSAT and an everyone else LSAT. The black LSAT will have LG's about matching Daseanda, shantel and Kobe to their favorite chicken restaurant! Or how about an LR passage about the history of Compton!

Funny, I had to read passages about neuroscience on RC... Is the LSAT biased against non scientific people? I read LR questions about bears... Is the LSAT biased against people who hate the outdoors? Oh yeah... I remember numerous RC passages that focused on famous black writers, scientists etc...

HOW IS THIS TEST BIASED!
Why so Stormfront?
I just don't get how the LSAT is biased... I really don't. At least I don't see how any culture could 100% relate to the test.

Besides, isn't one of the objectives of the LSAT to push you out of your comfort zone to see if your logic skills hold up under pressure?

I love how you go from calm and normal to disgusting and racist then back to calm and normal with such ease. With regard to your question I'm the only one that has said anything about cultural bias and no where in my post did I say the LSAT was. I said the SAT has been shown to be culturally biased and I wonder if there are any studies on the LSAT regarding this.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:52 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
174 wrote:

HOW IS THIS TEST BIASED!
Why so Stormfront?

I love how you go from calm and normal to disgusting and racist then back to calm and normal with such ease. With regard to your question I'm the only one that has said anything about cultural bias and no where in my post did I say the LSAT was. I said the SAT has been shown to be culturally biased and I wonder if there are any studies on the LSAT regarding this.
The OP alluded to it in his first post. And btw... if that whole thing came off racist that was definitely not my intention. I have a pretty "Chapelle like" humor where no one is safe... especially myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:53 pm

PDADDY YOU WROTE THIS DIDN'T YOU:

"Morse's agenda...
...is to keep blacks out of elite law schools and out of the profession. That is why so much weight goes to "student quality", which is determined mostly by LSAT score. If you keep blacks out of law schools - especially the elite ones - you cripple the black community's ability to protect itself within the criminal justice system and, to a slightly lesser degree, the civil arena."

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:58 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:btw... if that whole thing came off racist that was definitely not my intention. I have a pretty "Chapelle like" humor where no one is safe... especially myself.
:?
lmao

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:15 am

Nightrunner wrote:

HOW IS THIS TEST BIASED!
One day, I pray, I will have my own banhatchet.
I don't know if you've ever experienced REAL racism, but take it from someone who has... spouting off very well known and minimally offensive stereotypes (fried chicken... big woop) to make a point is not the same as having a swastika burned into your lawn. Real racism is motivated by hate... my post was in no way motivated by hate.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:20 am

Nightrunner wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:

HOW IS THIS TEST BIASED!
I don't know if you've ever experienced REAL racism, but take it from someone who has... spouting off very well known and minimally offensive stereotypes (fried chicken... big woop) to make a point is not the same as having a swastika burned into your lawn. Real racism is motivated by hate... my post was in no way motivated by hate.
I agree, which is why I'm still acknowledging your existence. Your post was not racist, it was ignorant. They are different. In a circle of people who know you, perhaps, it would not be ignorant. This, however, is a public internet forum.

On a side note: I'm a half-breed Native living on the outskirts of a reservation and frequenting the nearby cowboy town...so yeah, I know SUPERULTRAREAL racism.
I was going more for sarcastic and over the top... but ignorant works too!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:24 am

The idea that the LSAT is racially biased starts with one big assumption. That assumption is that blacks, whites, Asians, and every other race are of equal intelligence. If we accept this to be true then any test on which blacks under perform whites can be said to be biased because it shows one race to be "smarter" than the others. Think about it, if every race is equal but on a test whites and Asians get better scores then it's a biased test.

If we are not willing to make that assumption then we can not speculate if the test is biased. We have no way of knowing if the test discriminates against blacks or if blacks are just less intelligent to begin with. However, for many people (myself included) the idea that blacks are, as a race, less intelligent seems inherently wrong and goes against many life experiences.

I really believe that this is the underlying dispute in most affirmative action or racial LSAT debates. A lot of what is said is just one way or another of dancing around this fundamental issue.

On a side note, OP is one hell of a troll. I don't think I could start this kind of a shitstorm if I tried.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:25 am

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:28 am

rockchalk86 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:

HOW IS THIS TEST BIASED!
minimally offensive? maybe to a disgusting individual like yourself they are. and what does how well known the stereotypes are have to do with anything? Also, racism does not have to stem from hate, it very often comes from fear, ignorance, stupidity, and people not knowing any better an thinking it's perfectly acceptable like yourself. The way you minimilize your racist behavior and make excuses for it is very troubing.
Last edited by newyorker88 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:33 am

Rock Chalk wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:What's the point that you're trying to get across with that? What you just posted doesn't refute anything I've stated
If Earl's dad was Black and his mom was Black and White, then he was 3/4 Black and 1/4 White. I wrote a paper on Earl Woods a long time ago and most sources say that he is only thought to have some Asian in him because his eyes seem to indicate it, but most references to him actually having Asian in him are based on childhood jokes. But whatever, doesn't really matter. Just saw you correct someone and thought I'd do the same.

What did you correct? What you cited doesn't back up anything you just said. You keep saying well IF he was this then x is true. You haven't stated any facts just given hypotheticals. I posted facts, Earl is 1/4th chinese, 1/2th black, and 1/4th native american and cited a source. Can you discredit the source? Do you have anything to say the source made it up or is basing it's information off of a joke it heard.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:37 am

KibblesAndVick wrote:The idea that the LSAT is racially biased starts with one big assumption. That assumption is that blacks, whites, Asians, and every other race are of equal intelligence. If we accept this to be true then any test on which blacks under perform whites can be said to be biased because it shows one race to be "smarter" than the others. Think about it, if every race is equal but on a test whites and Asians get better scores then it's a biased test.

If we are not willing to make that assumption then we can not speculate if the test is biased. We have no way of knowing if the test discriminates against blacks or if blacks are just less intelligent to begin with. However, for many people (myself included) the idea that blacks are, as a race, less intelligent seems inherently wrong and goes against many life experiences.

I really believe that this is the underlying dispute in most affirmative action or racial LSAT debates. A lot of what is said is just one way or another of dancing around this fundamental issue.

On a side note, OP is one hell of a troll. I don't think I could start this kind of a shitstorm if I tried.
There could be other explanations as to why the black community underperforms. Maybe less black people go to Kaplan and do test prep than whites and asians? Maybe there is a socioeconomic thing going on here? Maybe a smaller percentage of black people want to become lawyers and the talent pool is limited? I just don't see how a test like this could be biased against a race... It's the fallback argument people use when they don't actually want to take a look at the issue and look for other possible variables.

If I believed the only explanation for the underperformance besides the test being biased had to do with labeling one race smarter than the other, I would fall back on the first explanation just to avoid the issue. There are other ways to explain it that have nothing to do with racial intelligence but more to do with socioeconomic factors

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:43 am

rockchalk86 wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:The idea that the LSAT is racially biased starts with one big assumption. That assumption is that blacks, whites, Asians, and every other race are of equal intelligence. If we accept this to be true then any test on which blacks under perform whites can be said to be biased because it shows one race to be "smarter" than the others. Think about it, if every race is equal but on a test whites and Asians get better scores then it's a biased test.

There could be other explanations as to why the black community underperforms. Maybe less black people go to Kaplan and do test prep than whites and asians? Maybe there is a socioeconomic thing going on here? Maybe a smaller percentage of black people want to become lawyers and the talent pool is limited? I just don't see how a test like this could be biased against a race... It's the fallback argument people use when they don't actually want to take a look at the issue and look for other possible variables.

If I believed the only explanation for the underperformance besides the test being biased had to do with labeling one race smarter than the other, I would fall back on the first explanation just to avoid the issue. There are other ways to explain it that have nothing to do with racial intelligence but more to do with socioeconomic factors
The score gap between blacks and whites/Asians remains constant along the socio-economic spectrum. That is, rich black kids from the suburbs under perform rich white kids from the suburbs. Poor black kids under perform poor white kids. This means that "blacks just don't use Kaplan" can't explain the difference. Taking blacks "out of the ghettos" so to speak doesn't result in equal scores. There's something about being black that results in a lower score. Whether that is lower IQ or a racially biased test remains to be settled.
Last edited by KibblesAndVick on Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:46 am

Nightrunner wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:
The score gap between blacks and whites/Asians remains constant along the socio-economic spectrum. That is, rich black kids from the suburbs under perform rich white kids from the suburbs. Poor black kids under perform poor white kids. This means that "black just don't use Kaplan" can't explain the difference. Taking blacks "out of the ghettos" so to speak doesn't result in equal scores. There's something about being black that [strike]results[/strike] correlates to a lower score. Whether that is lower IQ or a racially biased test remains to be settled.
Yes. Yes indeed. I'm not exactly sober which correlates to me not being on the top of my game haha

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:46 am

Maybe less Black people entering the legal profession means they're actually smarter than the rest of us.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:49 am

Everyone ITT is racist.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:50 am

Always Credited wrote:Maybe less Black people entering the legal profession means they're actually smarter than the rest of us.
Stupid is as stupid does.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:53 am

KibblesAndVick wrote:
Always Credited wrote:Maybe less Black people entering the legal profession means they're actually smarter than the rest of us.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54 am

Kohinoor wrote:Everyone ITT is racist.
And now you're ITT too!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:55 am

Last edited by Unemployed on Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:58 am

KibblesAndVick wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:
The score gap between blacks and whites/Asians remains constant along the socio-economic spectrum. That is, rich black kids from the suburbs under perform rich white kids from the suburbs. Poor black kids under perform poor white kids. This means that "black just don't use Kaplan" can't explain the difference. Taking blacks "out of the ghettos" so to speak doesn't result in equal scores. There's something about being black that [strike]results[/strike] correlates to a lower score. Whether that is lower IQ or a racially biased test remains to be settled.
Yes. Yes indeed. I'm not exactly sober which correlates to me not being on the top of my game haha
You still have not proven that the test is biased. Economic factors are just one of many ways of looking at this. Culture, small pool of black lawyer role models, maybe certain groups have a higher percentage of people who wanted law from early on and started thinking about it and meeting other lawyers from a younger age...

Point is that there could be a wealth of variables that exist that could play a role in this finding.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:59 am

Always Credited wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:
Well played Mauer...

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:02 am

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”