I could use some CONSTRUCTIVE ADVICE! PLEASE!!!!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
scuzle

I could use some CONSTRUCTIVE ADVICE! PLEASE!!!!!

Postby scuzle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:28 am

So here is my story. I have a 3.62 LSAC GPA (3.4 as a JC student and then 3.82 at The University of San Francisco). I took the LSAT and got a 153 the first time. I scored at or way above that on practices so I decided to retake. Honestly, it was my last semester in college I was working as both a research assistant and a teaching assistant while taking 16 units and having a good time with my friends. Did not prepare for the second time and got a 147 (just threw up a little bit saying it). I have been waitlisted at USF, Gonzaga, Saint Louis and American University all of which I would love to attend and still watiing to hear back from USD, McGeorge, Loyola-Los Angeles and Akron and Golden Gate. I am studying to retake the LSAT again. My question is what should I do. I feel like I can get in the mid 160s this time around; is it worth attending a school like akron or golden gate (assuming my acceptance because of them taking my high LSAT score and not getting of the waitlists at the other schools) and then transferring? Or, should I just retake the LSAT again and take the year off? I was under the impression after talking to people that you should cap yourself at 3x on the lsat and schools who say they do not average do it anyway, or will be turned off simply if they see those varying scores. I am really stressing over this and some constructive advice from this great community would really go a long way to help me through this tough time! GOOD LUCK GUYS! THANKS!

MidlawMyth

Re: I could use some CONSTRUCTIVE ADVICE! PLEASE!!!!!

Postby MidlawMyth » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:37 am

Retake. It could mean savings of $100K or more.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:04 am

Definitely retake. It's not a good idea to go to a school thinking that you'll transfer out. You can get into much better schools with your GPA and a mid 160s LSAT, assuming you can pull that off (and a good addendum explaining the jump).

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:11 am

At what percentage of your LSAT potential are you operating? I got 152 the first time after exercising the poor judgment of taking the real thing ice cold. When I decided to take an LSAT prep course, actually commit to it, and re-cycle, I had very little doubt that I'd be in the high 160s at worst.

If you feel similarly (i.e. you are usually a good test-taker, have a high aptitude for logic, etc), then holy hell RETAKE. 3.62 (my identical LSAC GPA, incidentally) is t12 material, and schools now are legitimately willing to just take the higher score. In fact, Northwestern explicitly says so. While other schools take a more "holistic" look at the LSAT, the trend is definitely away from averaging.

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:09 pm

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/the-hubr ... e-lawyers/

Returns on your law degree will be frightfully diminishing, unless they give you a massive, massive scholarship. Think long and hard before you go to those schools.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:34 pm

I love how everyone always says retake. Saving 100k or more. Or....the third time you take it you score a 152 again. Or a 154. Or a 148. What then? (playing devils advocate here) By this time law schools will take note that your ability to score highly on the LSAT is not possible. Taking it a third time (i don't care what ANYONE tells you I have a friend of a friend who works on admissions committee at a tier 1 school and he says you should cap out at 2). [haters and those who disagree quote here]

I know your position is a difficult one...but only retake if you are CONSISTENTLY scoring above a 160. (I was scoring consistently above a 160 though and I got a 155 my 2nd time around blah.) I reached a point where I decided it just wasn't possible for me to score 160 come test day. Practice tests? yes...but different thing entirely (At least for me)

I know the advice you are looking for is to re-take and wait a year (seeing as how you have a high GPA). I think this would [i]probably[i] be your best route. I do know of people getting into t2 schools with a 153 though (most do take the higher score) Just hopefully you have some good softs.

Good luck man! You'll make the right choice no matter what.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:41 pm

My advice is to consider hiring a personal tutor to prepare you for a retake of the LSAT.
The real issue, however, is what does a low LSAT score mean. My best guess is that it indicates that your undergraduate courses were not very demanding with respect to intellectual & analytical thought. If so, this suggests that you are in for a very rough first year of law school. If you survive, then you can breath easier as the second & third years of law school revert back to somewhat of an equivalent to demanding undergraduate-like studies. In short, a low LSAT score indicates that one is not well prepared for the first year of law school.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Hey so I'll let you know something:

Better to wait and practice hard to do well on the LSAT.

A LIL BIT ABOUT ME:

When I first did a diagnostic LSAT, I got a 136. That was two years ago. I was totally crushed, but I practiced and worked hard at it.

I studied off and on for two years and when I finally took the LSAT I got a 164.

I am now studying for the JUNE lsat and I'm PTing close to the high 160s.

It's possible to do well, esp if you think you can do better.

There is no real rush to go to law school. The market still sucks. With your GPA, if you can get in the 160s the type of schools and the amount of $$$ you can get from schools will increase.

Think of it this way, by getting in the 160s and waiting you can save yourself over 100,000.

THAT'S ALOT OF MONEY.

MidlawMyth

Postby MidlawMyth » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:04 pm

dhg5004 wrote:I love how everyone always says retake. Saving 100k or more. Or....the third time you take it you score a 152 again. Or a 154. Or a 148. What then? (playing devils advocate here) By this time law schools will take note that your ability to score highly on the LSAT is not possible. Taking it a third time (i don't care what ANYONE tells you I have a friend of a friend who works on admissions committee at a tier 1 school and he says you should cap out at 2). [haters and those who disagree quote here]

I know your position is a difficult one...but only retake if you are CONSISTENTLY scoring above a 160. (I was scoring consistently above a 160 though and I got a 155 my 2nd time around blah.) I reached a point where I decided it just wasn't possible for me to score 160 come test day. Practice tests? yes...but different thing entirely (At least for me)

I know the advice you are looking for is to re-take and wait a year (seeing as how you have a high GPA). I think this would [i]probably[i] be your best route. I do know of people getting into t2 schools with a 153 though (most do take the higher score) Just hopefully you have some good softs.

Good luck man! You'll make the right choice no matter what.
Then don't go to law school is your score doesn't significantly improve. No harm, no foul.

scuzle

Postby scuzle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:20 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:My advice is to consider hiring a personal tutor to prepare you for a retake of the LSAT.
The real issue, however, is what does a low LSAT score mean. My best guess is that it indicates that your undergraduate courses were not very demanding with respect to intellectual & analytical thought. If so, this suggests that you are in for a very rough first year of law school. If you survive, then you can breath easier as the second & third years of law school revert back to somewhat of an equivalent to demanding undergraduate-like studies. In short, a low LSAT score indicates that one is not well prepared for the first year of law school.

Actually I was a political theory emphasis and took only upper division classes that required only papers with original research and I am actually published. The thing with me and the lsat is that I have trouble compartmentalizing the sections so If I did poorly I cant shake and get thrown off my game, which is weird because I am generally a really really good test taker. But I really appreciate all your guys responses! Thank you so much!

scuzle

Postby scuzle » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:51 am

Thanks for everyones advice! I got into McGeorge and Im going to go, but thank you!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”