ASSESSMENT SCORES! CLS vs NYU vs SLS (new rankings) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Unemployed

Silver

Re: ASSESSMENT SCORES! CLS vs NYU vs SLS (new rankings)

Post by Unemployed » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:18 pm

FrankReynolds wrote:
To be fair, straight from undergrad isn't really the same as straight-from-undergrad-and-I-want-to-save-the-world-not-work-for-a-big-firm-but-I-will-still-apply-for-the-summer-money.
It really isn't. Plus people don't understand basic statistics. Just because Columbia has more students straight from undergrad, it doesn't mean they have more "confused" straight-from-undergrads. Columbia has a much greater % of students from Ivy undergrads. blabla.
To be fair, the distinction is meaningless in light of the fact that both are ridiculous arguments. :|

RealTalk

New

Post by RealTalk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:21 pm

I cant believe people are actually comparing CLS to NYU. Columbia actually has prestige that spans the globe while NYU is like a state school to everyone outside NYC.

I ain't going to either school eventhough I got into both. But there is no way on earth I could see anyone who got into CLS go to NYU instead. That person shows they just don't have respect for themselves.

I think a bunch of NYU people who got rejected by CLS are trying to make it seem like they are peers.

IMO there are only 4 law schools in this country worth anything. And NYU ain't one of them.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:40 pm

RealTalk wrote:I'm a tool. I'm a tool. I'm a tool, tool, tool; an unbelievably annoying tool.
Fixed.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:40 pm

clintonius wrote:
RealTalk wrote:I'm a tool. I'm a tool. I'm a tool, tool, tool; an unbelievably annoying tool.
Fixed.
He's also a flame.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:46 pm

The question I'm struggling with -- if I somehow get in off the CLS hold list -- is whether, if both are @ sticker, my slight preference for NYU due mostly to location is enough to pick it over CLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

muahawhawhaw

New

Post by muahawhawhaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:48 pm

clintonius wrote:
Fixed.
Gave me a good laugh at work. Thanks!

RealTalk

New

Post by RealTalk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:52 pm

scribelaw wrote:The question I'm struggling with -- if I somehow get in off the CLS hold list -- is whether, if both are @ sticker, my slight preference for NYU due mostly to location is enough to pick it over CLS.
dude you'll be living a life of regret if you do that

just think about 30 years from now

when people see CLS they will know you got into one of the a prestigious ivy........if they see NYU they'll think oh just another state school

go with the name that'll impress people if money isn't an issue

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:54 pm

RealTalk wrote:go with the name that'll impress people if money isn't an issue
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:57 pm

crackberry wrote:
RealTalk wrote:go with the name that'll impress people if money isn't an issue
:lol: :lol: :lol:
What are you laughing about, you non-ivy, low life brute! :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:01 pm

RealTalk wrote:
scribelaw wrote:The question I'm struggling with -- if I somehow get in off the CLS hold list -- is whether, if both are @ sticker, my slight preference for NYU due mostly to location is enough to pick it over CLS.

when people see CLS they will know you got into one of the a prestigious ivy........if they see NYU they'll think oh just another state school

I don't really care the extent to which "people" are impressed by the pretige of my law school. People don't hire first-year associates and clerks; law partners and judges do.

To me, the only thing that's relevant is job opportunities. From what I can gather, Columbia (and Chicago) are largely peers with NYU, but both have slight advantages in a few areas like elite firms.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:12 pm

My opinion is that you should go where you think you'll be happiest for the next three years. If you see yourself enjoying life more in the Village, do it. There are certainly advantages to Columbia, particularly when you start gravitating away from NYC, but if you want to practice in the city I think it's mostly a quality of life issue.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:13 pm

scribelaw wrote:
RealTalk wrote:

I don't really care the extent to which "people" are impressed by the pretige of my law school. People don't hire first-year associates and clerks; law partners and judges do.

To me, the only thing that's relevant is job opportunities. From what I can gather, Columbia (and Chicago) are largely peers with NYU, but both have slight advantages in a few areas like elite firms.
I also don't care too much what 'people' think, that's why I care about practitioner scores. ok I admit it, I do care what people think a little. I hate people for that very reason.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:14 pm

NYU is in freefall

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RealTalk

New

Post by RealTalk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:46 pm

scribelaw wrote:
RealTalk wrote:

I don't know if you saw the new USNWR judges/attorneys scores but Columbia and NYU are NOT peers. There is a sizable gap in prestige between them according to the practitioners. In fact CLS is more in class with HYS than NYU is with CLS.

RealTalk

New

Post by RealTalk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
RealTalk wrote:

I also don't care too much what 'people' think, that's why I care about practitioner scores. ok I admit it, I do care what people think a little. I hate people for that very reason.
practioners say CLS and NYU aren't the same. CLS/Chi >>> NYU

learn to live with reality

mwazaumoja

New

Post by mwazaumoja » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:48 pm

RealTalk wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
RealTalk wrote:

I don't know if you saw the new USNWR judges/attorneys scores but Columbia and NYU are NOT peers. There is a sizable gap in prestige between them according to the practitioners. In fact CLS is more in class with HYS than NYU is with CLS.
Where did you get this gem of insider information from?

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:06 pm

RealTalk wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
practioners say CLS and NYU aren't the same. CLS/Chi >>> NYU

learn to live with reality[/quote]
that's what I meant when I said I care about practitioner scores. read my OP.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Yes, NYU and Columbia are not prestige peers. I'm not sure that's news to very many people. RealTalk, you'll note that the people who are choosing between NYU and Columbia are talking about where they would be happy spending the next three years, not which institution is going to land them the most lay recognition. So you can go ahead and shut the fuck up because your trolling is getting tiresome, and it betrays your lack of reading comprehension skills.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:49 pm

RealTalk wrote:I cant believe people are actually comparing CLS to NYU. Columbia actually has prestige that spans the globe while NYU is like a state school to everyone outside NYC.

I ain't going to either school eventhough I got into both. But there is no way on earth I could see anyone who got into CLS go to NYU instead. That person shows they just don't have respect for themselves.

I think a bunch of NYU people who got rejected by CLS are trying to make it seem like they are peers.

IMO there are only 4 law schools in this country worth anything. And NYU ain't one of them.
Wow, this post smacks of extreme elitism. Only 4 schools in the country are worth anything? Btw, I'm sorry we don't all have the luxury of getting into Harvard with a 3.3 gpa and 164 LSAT. You should consider yourself lucky you got in where you did and hope that with your biglaw salary you can find a doctor to remove your head that is currently stuck up your ass.

Edit: The only 4 law schools worth anything comment is interesting considering you considered going to Vandy. Is Vandy one of the four schools or has your head gone even farther up your ass since you got into Harvard?

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:55 pm

have you visited both?

if you have, and you still prefer nyu, then go there

mwazaumoja

New

Post by mwazaumoja » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:22 pm

acdisagod wrote:
RealTalk wrote:I cant believe people are actually comparing CLS to NYU. Columbia actually has prestige that spans the globe while NYU is like a state school to everyone outside NYC.

Wow, this post smacks of extreme elitism. Only 4 schools in the country are worth anything? Btw, I'm sorry we don't all have the luxury of getting into Harvard with a 3.3 gpa and 164 LSAT. You should consider yourself lucky you got in where you did and hope that with your biglaw salary you can find a doctor to remove your head that is currently stuck up your ass.

Edit: The only 4 law schools worth anything comment is interesting considering you considered going to Vandy. Is Vandy one of the four schools or has your head gone even farther up your ass since you got into Harvard?
This is exactly the reason I choose to go to NYU over Columbia. I got offered the same substantial amount of money by both schools, but I realized that the CLS would be bad for my ego ("Dude, I'm in CLS, I must be the shit"). This is not to say that CLS was a bad place, but the school made no effort during ASW to hide the feeling of 'prestige' associated with the school.

So, my point RealTalk, is that you can feel free to celebrate on your success just don't act like an authority on these things and more importantly don't be an asshole. No matter where you go you can be successful, but some employers don't take too well to a guy who's a jerk.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Please, don't feed the trolls kids.

All of this hype about peer assessment ratings etc. is basically 0L's blowing hot air and trolls fanning the flames.

While there are some differences between CCN, they are mostly cultural/curricular.

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:35 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:So earlier today I calculated from lsn...
You're a virgin, aren't you?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:37 pm

badfish wrote:Please, don't feed the trolls kids.

All of this hype about peer assessment ratings etc. is basically 0L's blowing hot air and trolls fanning the flames.

While there are some differences between CCN, they are mostly cultural/curricular.
me = likely NYU-attending 0L who is willing to admit that CLS more prestigious than NYU overall, and that CLS has the edge over NYU in terms of extra-NYC hiring. I still think this RealTalk guy is a piece of shit.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:51 pm

You people are really dense. I've spoken to people at CLS and many CLS admits. Even they, the people you would most expect to beat the oh we are so much better than NYU drum, consider the schools to be peers. I've also heard the same thing from a Middle America law school dean. Perhaps there are a few lawyers who see a difference but honestly, considering that the quality of American law schools ranges from People’s College of Law to Yale, any gradation would be so fine as to be imperceptible and that it would ever end up costing someone a job opportunity - expecialy in a large city.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”