ASSESSMENT SCORES! CLS vs NYU vs SLS (new rankings) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AtticusFinch

New

Re: ASSESSMENT SCORES! CLS vs NYU vs SLS (new rankings)

Post by AtticusFinch » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:04 pm

RealTalk wrote:
acdisagod wrote:
RealTalk wrote:I cant believe people are actually comparing CLS to NYU. Columbia actually has prestige that spans the globe while NYU is like a state school to everyone outside NYC.

I ain't going to either school eventhough I got into both. But there is no way on earth I could see anyone who got into CLS go to NYU instead. That person shows they just don't have respect for themselves.

I think a bunch of NYU people who got rejected by CLS are trying to make it seem like they are peers.

IMO there are only 4 law schools in this country worth anything. And NYU ain't one of them.
Wow, this post smacks of extreme elitism. Only 4 schools in the country are worth anything? Btw, I'm sorry we don't all have the luxury of getting into Harvard with a 3.3 gpa and 164 LSAT. You should consider yourself lucky you got in where you did and hope that with your biglaw salary you can find a doctor to remove your head that is currently stuck up your ass.

Edit: The only 4 law schools worth anything comment is interesting considering you considered going to Vandy. Is Vandy one of the four schools or has your head gone even farther up your ass since you got into Harvard?
yes I am all about prestige......IMO nothing else matters......I don't care about happiness or all that other junk people around here talk about..........all I care about is impressing other people with my resume......B.S.E. from Princeton......J.D. from Harvard..........those are basically the most prestigious degrees that a person can get......in that sense I'll always be the most accomplished person in a room

Oh and I only applied to schools like NYU, Vandy, etc. so I could use them as bargaining chips when negotiating grants.....no other reason.......I probably would've NOT gone to law school if I didn't get into Harvard
Not sure what rooms you are hanging out in but with a 3.3 GPA/164 LSAT you are less accomplished that most of the people on TLS much less at HLS.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:54 am

AtticusFinch wrote:
RealTalk wrote:
acdisagod wrote:
RealTalk wrote:I cant believe people are actually comparing CLS to NYU. Columbia actually has prestige that spans the globe while NYU is like a state school to everyone outside NYC.

I ain't going to either school eventhough I got into both. But there is no way on earth I could see anyone who got into CLS go to NYU instead. That person shows they just don't have respect for themselves.

I think a bunch of NYU people who got rejected by CLS are trying to make it seem like they are peers.

IMO there are only 4 law schools in this country worth anything. And NYU ain't one of them.
Wow, this post smacks of extreme elitism. Only 4 schools in the country are worth anything? Btw, I'm sorry we don't all have the luxury of getting into Harvard with a 3.3 gpa and 164 LSAT. You should consider yourself lucky you got in where you did and hope that with your biglaw salary you can find a doctor to remove your head that is currently stuck up your ass.

Edit: The only 4 law schools worth anything comment is interesting considering you considered going to Vandy. Is Vandy one of the four schools or has your head gone even farther up your ass since you got into Harvard?
yes I am all about prestige......IMO nothing else matters......I don't care about happiness or all that other junk people around here talk about..........all I care about is impressing other people with my resume......B.S.E. from Princeton......J.D. from Harvard..........those are basically the most prestigious degrees that a person can get......in that sense I'll always be the most accomplished person in a room

Oh and I only applied to schools like NYU, Vandy, etc. so I could use them as bargaining chips when negotiating grants.....no other reason.......I probably would've NOT gone to law school if I didn't get into Harvard
Not sure what rooms you are hanging out in but with a 3.3 GPA/164 LSAT you are less accomplished that most of the people on TLS much less at HLS.
And I may not be remembering correctly but I'm pretty sure in another thread you said you were considering attending Vandy.

More importantly+1 to the above poster. Your stack of diplomas are going to be pretty much useless when you finish at the bottom of your class because your analytical abilities/work ethic are seriously lacking. You can ride the affirmative action train all you want, but that does not make you accomplished. And btw before you scream that I'm racist, I've been on the record as being pro affirmative action, I'm just anti douchebag HTH

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:39 pm

RealTalk wrote:

:roll:
you drank the HYP kool-aid

a 3.3 in engineering at P is decent (although they're not as grade deflated as you think), but a 164 LSAT? GL at HLS

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:47 pm

as OP can I please just ask that we drop this whole thread.

FrankReynolds

Bronze

Post by FrankReynolds » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:17 am

i really hope that somehow RealTalk is not a troll so HLS sees this thread and revokes his admission lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:32 am

I'll admit that I'm somewhat of a troll for SLS on here, but there are a number of reasons to take NYU or CLS over Stanford, and I don't think many of them are unfounded. I think Dean Kramer said it really well at Stanford's ASW this weekend: it's not only childish to take Yale or Harvard over Stanford just because they are ranked slightly higher, it's equally childish to take SLS over NYU or Columbia (and though he didn't say Chicago, it seemed implied) due to the rankings.

There are minor distinctions between schools in the Top 6 (and really, down through NW and Duke, so the T12), yes, and there are compelling reasons to take some over others (not just limited to money). We all drink the Kool-aid on here a little too much, I think. SLS seems to be the best school for me, and I didn't get into Yale or HLS, so I can't speak to making that decision, but I have spoken with a number of folks who have. One of my favorite fellow admits this weekend at Stanford is going to NYU instead. It's all about space, place, and fit if you're going to thrive.

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:43 am

Kretzy wrote:I'll admit that I'm somewhat of a troll for SLS on here, but there are a number of reasons to take NYU or CLS over Stanford, and I don't think many of them are unfounded. I think Dean Kramer said it really well at Stanford's ASW this weekend: it's not only childish to take Yale or Harvard over Stanford just because they are ranked slightly higher, it's equally childish to take SLS over NYU or Columbia (and though he didn't say Chicago, it seemed implied) due to the rankings.

There are minor distinctions between schools in the Top 6 (and really, down through NW and Duke, so the T12), yes, and there are compelling reasons to take some over others (not just limited to money). We all drink the Kool-aid on here a little too much, I think. SLS seems to be the best school for me, and I didn't get into Yale or HLS, so I can't speak to making that decision, but I have spoken with a number of folks who have. One of my favorite fellow admits this weekend at Stanford is going to NYU instead. It's all about space, place, and fit if you're going to thrive.
This is totally TLS-inappropriate

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:11 am

HYS seems to be more important for the small but elite boutique firms in the bay area. The ones that only take 3-8 SA a year.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:13 am

legends159 wrote:HYS seems to be more important for the small but elite boutique firms in the bay area. The ones that only take 3-8 SA a year.
this is true, though CLS and Chicago do place pretty well in litigation boutiques on the east coast (nyc and DC) but HLS is clearly better. Also, Kretzy you seem like a supremely reasonable guy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:15 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
legends159 wrote:HYS seems to be more important for the small but elite boutique firms in the bay area. The ones that only take 3-8 SA a year.
this is true, though CLS and Chicago do place pretty well in litigation boutiques on the east coast (nyc and DC) but HLS is clearly better. Also, Kretzy you seem like a supremely reasonable guy.
Haha, thanks.

As someone who is (tentatively) planning to preference New York after graduation, I agree about CLS' placement power there. What helps SLS (and to a smaller extent, Chicago) grads is how few of us want to go there, but Columbia is just so intrinsic to the elite legal community in the city. I'll hopefully report back in two years with some better information :)

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:04 pm

Tofu wrote:
Kretzy wrote:I'll admit that I'm somewhat of a troll for SLS on here, but there are a number of reasons to take NYU or CLS over Stanford, and I don't think many of them are unfounded. I think Dean Kramer said it really well at Stanford's ASW this weekend: it's not only childish to take Yale or Harvard over Stanford just because they are ranked slightly higher, it's equally childish to take SLS over NYU or Columbia (and though he didn't say Chicago, it seemed implied) due to the rankings.

This is totally TLS-inappropriate
I know right. Trying to make people feel better about not going to T3 is TTT.

mwazaumoja

New

Post by mwazaumoja » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:47 am

I feel infinitely inferior going to NYU, my dreams of working at Cravath and Wachtell have been significantly reduced.

I stress out everyday knowing I'm going to get a job that only pays $160k a year, but is completely lacking in prestige.

Essentially, my hopes of being president are next to zero.

No longer t5, I'm doomed to being the in the TTT6.

jbjb1

New

Post by jbjb1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:57 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:So earlier today I calculated from lsn that last year 80% of matriculating nyu students were not admitted to CLS. With the new rankings nyu's share of the cls cross-admit yield will only get worse. Furthermore, with CLS at 4 and NYU at 6 and CLS's score closer to SLS than NYU (SLS at 93 (assessment scores of 4.7/4., CLS at 91(4.7, 4.6) , and NYU at 87 (4.5, 4.4)) I don't see why CLS is in the same tier as NYU and not SLS.
CLS is ranked closer to SLS, has a higher lsat median than SLS, and is according to peer and lawyer/judge assessment is extremely close if not identical to SLS. I think its fairer to group CLS with SLS as a peer than with NYU. I understand that people will argue that in terms of prestige CLS isn't SLS's peer but their peer assessment score is IDENTICAL.
I think nyu law is fantastic and really may very well have the second best faculty in the country and am really somewhat surprised by its drop. Still, just speaking objectively I don't think there is reason to see CLS as closer to NYU than it is to SLS (unless we're talking about driving times).
CLS and SLS students are equally smart, but Stanford is Stanford. That's the real answer to your question. Stanford is Stanford, and even though Columbia's student quality is on par it'll probably never completely be viewed that way. Only three schools can make up the trinity, after all. CLS students seem desperate to take that third spot but it won't ever happen. If it does happen by some fluke randomness one year, SLS will probably make sure it redeems itself the following year. :roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:04 am

jbjb1 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:So earlier today I calculated from lsn that last year 80% of matriculating nyu students were not admitted to CLS. With the new rankings nyu's share of the cls cross-admit yield will only get worse. Furthermore, with CLS at 4 and NYU at 6 and CLS's score closer to SLS than NYU (SLS at 93 (assessment scores of 4.7/4., CLS at 91(4.7, 4.6) , and NYU at 87 (4.5, 4.4)) I don't see why CLS is in the same tier as NYU and not SLS.
CLS is ranked closer to SLS, has a higher lsat median than SLS, and is according to peer and lawyer/judge assessment is extremely close if not identical to SLS. I think its fairer to group CLS with SLS as a peer than with NYU. I understand that people will argue that in terms of prestige CLS isn't SLS's peer but their peer assessment score is IDENTICAL.
I think nyu law is fantastic and really may very well have the second best faculty in the country and am really somewhat surprised by its drop. Still, just speaking objectively I don't think there is reason to see CLS as closer to NYU than it is to SLS (unless we're talking about driving times).
CLS and SLS students are equally smart, but Stanford is Stanford. That's the real answer to your question. Stanford is Stanford, and even though Columbia's student quality is on par it'll probably never completely be viewed that way. Only three schools can make up the trinity, after all. CLS students seem desperate to take that third spot but it won't ever happen. If it does happen by some fluke randomness one year, SLS will probably make sure it redeems itself the following year. :roll:
CLS' intrinsic benefit, it's historic access to the NYC market, is also somewhat a disadvantage when compared to SLS (in a very general placement sense). CLS competes with many Yale and Harvard grads, along with the random SLS grad, NYU and Chicago grads, and top grads from MVPBDN for big NYC jobs. Stanford has extraordinary placement in LA, SF, Seattle, and really any minor market on the west coast, competing with Boalt grads, some HLS grads, very few Yale grads, and a smattering of top CCN (and very top MVPDN grads) for those prestigious positions.

It's not that "Stanford is Stanford." That's fairly reductionist, and though the prestige of Stanford does carry around the west, it's not determinative.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”