ASSESSMENT SCORES! CLS vs NYU vs SLS (new rankings)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
of Benito Cereno

ASSESSMENT SCORES! CLS vs NYU vs SLS (new rankings)

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Last edited by of Benito Cereno on Mon May 17, 2010 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

of Benito Cereno

Re: CLS vs NYU vs SLS (new rankings)

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:48 pm

Also, why does Chicago fluctuate so much? Also, Penn and Virginia's yield protection produces ridiculously low acceptance rates (15%!... shameful. It should be about 30).

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:57 pm

In another thread I said "If the rankings were any good, Columbia would be ranked above Stanford".

I was only half-trolling. I think that Columbia is way closer to SLS, and if NYU didn't have the LRAP that it does, it would be a weak choice compared to similarly ranked schools.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:02 pm

As someone who is very likely headed to NYU, I agree that it doesn't hold the same prestige as CLS and UofC, and as far as points are concerned I think you're right about the unofficial tier classifications. I can also say I am not in the least disappointed by this move in rankings. The employment prospects out of NYU aren't going to be worse because the school dropped a whopping point in the rankings, and those prospects are pretty goddamn good.

holborn

Postby holborn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:08 pm

agreed that it should probably be grouped closer to SLS based on the scores. however, this does not effect employment prospects, really at all. A student with good grades at NYU will fare better than a CLS/Stanford kid below median everytime.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:13 pm

julesm2200 wrote:A student with good grades at [lower ranked school] will fare better than a [higher ranked school] kid below median everytime.

This is said so often, that its triteness has rendered it pointless to say. I think it's pretty uncontroversial.

But that's not how you compare schools, is it?

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:22 pm

Last edited by of Benito Cereno on Mon May 17, 2010 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

holborn

Postby holborn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:26 pm

Z3RO wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:A student with good grades at [lower ranked school] will fare better than a [higher ranked school] kid below median everytime.

This is said so often, that its triteness has rendered it pointless to say. I think it's pretty uncontroversial.

I specifically meant with respect to these three schools. I dont think your statement holds true everytime. And my point is that if grades are what distinguishes graduates from these schools, more so than the exact rank, then shouldnt people be concerned with going to the one they like the most and focus on doing well? I really bring this up to respond to the fact that many people will now pick CLS over NYU and I, personally, think its a little ridiculous.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:28 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
Z3RO wrote:

I specifically meant with respect to these three schools. I dont think your statement holds true everytime. And my point is that if grades are what distinguishes graduates from these schools, more so than the exact rank, then shouldnt people be concerned with going to the one they like the most and focus on doing well? I really bring this up to respond to the fact that many people will now pick CLS over NYU and I, personally, think its a little ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous that people will now pick CLS over NYU? It wasn't ridiculous BEFORE these rankings came out, so it certainly shouldn't be now..

holborn

Postby holborn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Cilent21 wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:
Z3RO wrote:

Why is it ridiculous that people will now pick CLS over NYU? It wasn't ridiculous BEFORE these rankings came out, so it certainly shouldn't be now..

Not ridiculous in general. Ridiculous for someone to see that NYU is now 6 or that CLS gained, what, one point in their total score, and let that determine which one they attend. (as opposed to visiting and picking the one you like more). this is what the OP was saying - that these new rankings will dramatically affect the cls/nyu cross admit yield.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:35 pm

*looks at new rankings* *jumps off roof of bobst*

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:35 pm

Last edited by of Benito Cereno on Mon May 17, 2010 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:36 pm

Wasnt NYU ranked higher than CLS just a few years ago? That's probably the reason for the grouping.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:37 pm

[/quote]I specifically meant with respect to these three schools. I dont think your statement holds true everytime. And my point is that if grades are what distinguishes graduates from these schools, more so than the exact rank, then shouldnt people be concerned with going to the one they like the most and focus on doing well? I really bring this up to respond to the fact that many people will now pick CLS over NYU and I, personally, think its a little ridiculous.[/quote]

Why is it ridiculous that people will now pick CLS over NYU? It wasn't ridiculous BEFORE these rankings came out, so it certainly shouldn't be now..[/quote]

Not ridiculous in general. Ridiculous for someone to see that NYU is now 6 or that CLS gained, what, one point in their total score, and let that determine which one they attend. (as opposed to visiting and picking the one you like more). this is what the OP was saying - that these new rankings will dramatically affect the cls/nyu cross admit yield.[/quote]

I gotya. Yeah, it is a little ridiculous that this will have an effect on a cls/nyu dilemma. But, nonetheless, it definitely will

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:37 pm

puppleberry finn wrote:*looks at new rankings* *jumps off roof of bobst*

I thought people jump in an internal courtyard/stairwell thing?

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:38 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
puppleberry finn wrote:*looks at new rankings* *jumps off roof of bobst*

I thought people jump in an internal courtyard/stairwell thing?

they've put up glass/plastic now. it's very inconvenient.

holborn

Postby holborn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:40 pm

Last edited by holborn on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

taxman021

Postby taxman021 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:40 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:
Z3RO wrote:

truth is, though, everyone seems to have already been picking cls over nyu unless they got a lot of money from nyu (basically the same as with other lower ranked schools like michigan or penn).
I bet nyu is going to follow those schools and start really YPing next year. It really hurts them that they act like they are a yield peer to cls but really lose out on the vast majority of cross admits and thus end up needing a 22% admissions rate while penn and uva are at 15%.

also, anyone think that all the press chicago law got from the obama election effected its increase in peer assessment. I'd be willing to be that tons of faculty members and admins from random crap law schools aren't actually that well attuned to the relative academic quality of the most elite schools and thus could have had their otherwise lazy attention drawn to chicago because of the press attention.

also, CLS gained 3 points in its overall score. It went from 88 to 91. For the Top14 that is a HUGE jump.

im going to nyu next year and i have to agree with what of Benito Cereno has said so far for the most part. on a side note, who cares about rankings, we dropped one point...but we also stole richard epstein for good from uchicago. that alone will probably help us gain back the #5 spot within the next few years

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:41 pm

Last edited by of Benito Cereno on Mon May 17, 2010 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

holborn

Postby holborn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:44 pm

Do hiring partners at biglaw firms fill out peer assessment scores? because thats when i'll start caring about them.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:45 pm

also, CLS gained 3 points in its overall score. It went from 88 to 91. For the Top14 that is a HUGE jump.

i suppose thats fair. Im also a little sensitive on the subject right now. Im currently trying to decide between the two and its a hard enough decision to make without all of my friends (none going to law school or familiar with the legal profession in any way) yelling at me to go to Columbia b/c its an ivy, sounds nice, etc.[/quote]

Go to COLUMBIA! YHSC ... CN ...

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:48 pm

Last edited by of Benito Cereno on Mon May 17, 2010 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

holborn

Postby holborn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:51 pm

Last edited by holborn on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:53 pm

interesting. Although I still maintain that grades matter more. Now if I could just figure out if living in the west village would make me happier, thereby decreasing my stress level and increasing my ability to study, or just drunker.

Haha I think MS Heights would be better if you are looking for decreased stressed and increased ability to study. Although I'm not positive. I haven't been accepted to either school (I apply in the fall), but these are really the only two schools I want to go to.. And right now I give CLS the edge

Unemployed

Re: ASSESSMENT SCORES! CLS vs NYU vs SLS (new rankings)

Postby Unemployed » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:55 pm

Ranking within mini-tiers is capricious, as the schools' relative positions respond sensitively to bar passage rates and employment stats (IIRC, the one time Columbia was surpassed by NYU in recent history, it was because they had an unusually low bar passage rate). Next year's ranking might turn out to be NYU-Chicago-Columbia - not likely, but certainly possible.
Last edited by Unemployed on Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”