Thoughts on regions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
primusux

Thoughts on regions

Postby primusux » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:56 pm

I know there are a ton of threads of 'what would you do' type polls so I'm just going to ask the question instead.

I hear all the time that unless you're T14 you should go to a school in the region you want to practice. However, lets say you don't get into a school you're comfortable with going to in the region you want to practice in (say 50-100 rank). You instead end up with some options in the T30 in regions on the opposite coast. Some give you $$$$ some don't but are perceived as better in rankings etc. (within 5 spots).

Is it stupid to pick the lower ranked more $ school when the higher ranked less $ school places MUCH better in the NLJ250 even though that NLJ placement is NOT in the region you want to practice in?

sanpiero

Re: Thoughts on regions

Postby sanpiero » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:23 pm

Outside the T14 go to a school in the region in which you want to practice.

remotelyfeasible

Postby remotelyfeasible » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:32 pm

A school in the "T30" will get you a job near that school, not where you want to practice.

Go to school where you want to practice.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:44 am

primusux wrote:Is it stupid to pick the lower ranked more $ school when the higher ranked less $ school places MUCH better in the NLJ250 even though that NLJ placement is NOT in the region you want to practice in?

yes, if you intend to go back to where you want to practice in. however, i'd be willing to relocate for better job prospects. i never understood the "nyc or bust" or "cali or bust" mentality that prevails here, even if it means a lifetime of shitwork.

edit: misread the question. i meant to say yes it is stupid to pick the higher ranked school in a region you won't want to practice in.
Last edited by de5igual on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:06 am

NYC or bust is so popular on TLS its scary. Work in Philly at a mid sized firm for 80k or in NYC for a small firm for 50k, what sounds better to you?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”