Cardozo or reapply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Cardozo ($$$) or Reapply?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:53 pm

Attend Cardozo with nearly full guaranteed scholarship
45%
Retake LSAT, Reapply
55%

Total votes: 11

lslc13

Cardozo or reapply?

Postby lslc13 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Took the LSAT once, low 160s. URM. Applied to schools in DC and NYC primarily. Would like to pursue public interest work and I'm specifically interested in media/internet law and how non-profits working in freedom of speech issues are affecting change in developing countries. Ideally would like a public interest fellowship or clerkship (albeit not in the Supreme Court) coming out of law school. NOT interested in BigLaw, but could see myself looking into government (ADA) work if the above option doesn't work out.

I know this is a very competitive field (media/freedom of expression/journalist rights), so I'd like to know given these interests if it is a good option for me to go to Cardozo. I have a 40K/year guaranteed scholarship. I could study and retake the LSAT, but of course have no idea how much higher I would score. I would definitely improve because I only studied for a few weeks the first time around, but I'm not sure how much of a jump I'd see. Plus, debt is a big issue for me, and only the Ivy law schools have loan repayment assistance programs that would make the debt worth it.

Thank you in advance for your input and help!

dhg5004

Re: Cardozo or reapply?

Postby dhg5004 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:04 pm

christ. posts like this piss me off. when someone like myself who has Cardozo as my number 1 choice has to read it.

retake the LSAT and get in to a T14 so you can work in 'biglaw' and hate your life.

:)

lslc13

Postby lslc13 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:27 pm

dhg5004, I think you misunderstood my post. It was never to imply that I only want T14 or that I don't think highly enough of Cardozo. Quite the contrary. If you re-read my post, you'll see that I actually make very clear that I don't want BigLaw (I actually think I'd be quite unhappy). My question was more, if I attend Cardozo, will I be competitive in the field I am interested in.

I hope this clears things up. I really hate the bashing and bad vibes on TLS and would never try to belittle any law school. Honestly, didn't mean to offend.

Thanks to everyone who can give me some input.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:43 pm

yeah...i didn't even bother to read the post. the survey pissed me off too much lol.

after reading I'd say reapply...if you only studied for a few weeks for the LSAT...you may see a large jump if you dedicate a lot of time. you'd be better off calling the law school and asking around in the admissions office about the programs you're interested in. then again, admissions offices are known for telling you what you want to hear lol.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”