Informing a law school that you will not be attending

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SprangTyme

Informing a law school that you will not be attending

Postby SprangTyme » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:47 am

So I've made my decision for law school and sent in my seat deposit. Should I inform the other law schools that have admitted me and keep sending emails and letters that I will not be attending? If so, then what is the best way?

blue5385

Re: Informing a law school that you will not be attending

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:48 am

SprangTyme wrote:So I've made my decision for law school and sent in my seat deposit. Should I inform the other law schools that have admitted me and keep sending emails and letters that I will not be attending? If so, then what is the best way?

Yes, you should. Email seems like the best way to me, since it's quickest and you ideally want them to know before the deposit deadline.

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:48 am

short courteous email

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:49 am

a quick email to admissions explaining you have accepted admission elsewhere and wish for your seat to be made available to other applicants. they will reply with "thanks for letting us know."

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:50 am

Yes you should withdraw immediately if you do not plan on attending.

Dear School,

Thank you for the wonderful offer of admission that you have extended to me. I am impressed with your program but have decided to attend another school. I wish you and your school all the best.

Sincerely,

Joe Schmoe

Maybe something like that.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:52 am

cavebat2000 wrote:Yes you should withdraw immediately if you do not plan on attending.

Dear School,

Thank you for the wonderful offer of admission that you have extended to me. I am impressed with your program but have decided to attend another school. I wish you and your school all the best.

Sincerely,

Joe Schmoe

That's pretty much what I wrote in mine. I also included my LSAC account number after my name. Just so you know, some schools do have their own forms you have to send in, like Duke. If they didn't send it in your admit packet, they'll probably let you know when you email them.

SprangTyme

Postby SprangTyme » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:25 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote:Yes you should withdraw immediately if you do not plan on attending.

Dear School,

Sincerely,

Joe Schmoe

That's pretty much what I wrote in mine. I also included my LSAC account number after my name. Just so you know, some schools do have their own forms you have to send in, like Duke. If they didn't send it in your admit packet, they'll probably let you know when you email them.

Duke is one of the schools I will need to inform. I am in Europe right now and do not have that form. Do you think they will take an e-mail instead?

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:26 pm

What are they going to do if you don't do the form? Just send a quick, courteous email. And don't be disingenuous.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”