For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Intersect2.0

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby Intersect2.0 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:24 pm

#1 fear is bombing the LSAT, for sure.

#2 is that I won't be able to get LORs. Probably a much less rational fear, but there it is.

I'm also going to be applying for PhD programmes, so I'm thinking my stress level is going to be in the red zone until approximately this time next year. Awesome. :|

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:04 pm

I guess like everyone else that I won't get in anywhere.

I disagree about the sub 3.2 splitter comment that was made.

If you get a 175+ on the LSAT, you stand a chance at UVA/Michigan/Penn/Georgetown/Northwestern/Cornell/NYU in regular admissions.
The previous advice is valid for a 3.1/170 not a 3.1/180....

Clever_User_Name

Postby Clever_User_Name » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:43 pm

actorlaw wrote:What kool-aid are all of you drinking? Give me some.

Let's get real. The economy is not improving. Not yet. It will improve but it will take more time and definitely more measures must be taken other than shouting the words hope and change. The country is going further in debt and the unemployment rate continues to rise... So what facts are you using as proof that the economy is improving???

As far as law school applications for next year? They will be up. Probably more so than this year. This was a record setting year for law school applications. This doesn't have to be a bad thing though. Make wise decisions when applying, be organized, and get your stuff sent in early. After that, don't worry about it because it is out of your hands.

One positive thing about the economy being down? It increases competition and forces everyone to work harder, therefore stretching your potential and work ethic.

The number of jobs being lost has been going down consistently for months. One week we even gained jobs (although short lived). Although we are still in a huge hole, the economy is improving.

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:03 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:I guess like everyone else that I won't get in anywhere.

I disagree about the sub 3.2 splitter comment that was made.

If you get a 175+ on the LSAT, you stand a chance at UVA/Michigan/Penn/Georgetown/Northwestern/Cornell/NYU in regular admissions.
The previous advice is valid for a 3.1/170 not a 3.1/180....

I guess it all depends on what you define as a chance. I have a 3.1/175+. As you might imagine, I have been looking around for the results of other candidates with similar numbers for quite a while now. I realize that this is anecdotal, but it seems that the vast majority of folks with similar numbers are waitlisted at most of the t14. Those that weren't seemed to have HYP undergrads. There used to be talk that beneath a 3.0 would be devastating, regardless of LSAT score. Perhaps that floor value has moved up in conjunction with the increase in applicants.

Also, I realize that high LSAT people may stand a better chance of being pulled off of a waitlist than most. I'm speaking more to outright acceptances than anything. I mean, who really wants to wait until August to figure out where they are going to be going?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:39 am

My fear is the job market in 2014. :|

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:41 am

acrossthelake wrote:My fear is the job market in 2014. :|

I'll worry about that only if we all manage to survive the end of 2012. :lol:

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:10 am

Before that, you'll need to worry about OCI 2012.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:23 pm

I worry about that too; I worry that I won't get into a good enough law school and consequently won't get a good enough job OUT of law school to support my family and raise my daughter with. :?

At least I know I'm not the only one!!

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:23 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:

Before that, you'll need to worry about OCI 2012.

You're right. I amend my statement.

My fear is the job market in 2012. :cry:

OmbreGracieuse wrote:
I worry about that too; I worry that I won't get into a good enough law school and consequently won't get a good enough job OUT of law school to support my family and raise my daughter with. :?

At least I know I'm not the only one!!

Oh yeah, at the very least I'm *many* years away from a family and kids(I'm quite young at the moment). If I had anyone other than myself to support, I'd be super stressed. Good luck!

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:20 am

actorlaw wrote:What kool-aid are all of you drinking? Give me some.

Let's get real. The economy is not improving. Not yet. It will improve but it will take more time and definitely more measures must be taken other than shouting the words hope and change. The country is going further in debt and the unemployment rate continues to rise... So what facts are you using as proof that the economy is improving???

As far as law school applications for next year? They will be up. Probably more so than this year. This was a record setting year for law school applications. This doesn't have to be a bad thing though. Make wise decisions when applying, be organized, and get your stuff sent in early. After that, don't worry about it because it is out of your hands.

One positive thing about the economy being down? It increases competition and forces everyone to work harder, therefore stretching your potential and work ethic.

I just want to say props for the positive outlook you ended your post with.

My biggest fear is that my PS won't be good enough to get me into my dream school since my numbers aren't auto-admit, but can't complain too much.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:15 am

lakerfanimal wrote:
I just want to say props for the positive outlook you ended your post with.

My biggest fear is that my PS won't be good enough to get me into my dream school since my numbers aren't auto-admit, but can't complain too much.

If you want, I'd be happy to look over your PS whenever you get it written. I already wrote mine, and have submitted it to my LOR writers, so I don't plan on changing it. :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”