For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OmbreGracieuse
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm

For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am

What is your biggest fear? What are you doing to counter that fear?

User avatar
cardnal124
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:31 am

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby cardnal124 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:46 am

Spiders... Staying away from spiders.

Seriously though. Biggest fear for me comes from the LORs and PS, and I'm trying to get the LORs before I graduate this May and getting my PS reviewed. Already took the LSAT and am done with UG grades so nothing to worry about there.

User avatar
BigFatPanda
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:47 am

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:57 am

The world coming to an end in 2012, as the Mayans promised.

User avatar
Lurkster
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:00 am

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby Lurkster » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:44 am

I don't really have anyone new I can reach out to for LORs, and I can't improve on my numbers at all anymore. Additionally, next cycle may end up being more competitive than this one.

My fear is that I'm going to go through this exhausting process all over again, only to yield the same lackluster results. What am I doing to counter that fear? Well, I don't currently drink too much or too often. Ramping up seems like a better idea every day.

OmbreGracieuse
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:56 am

cardnal124 wrote:Spiders... Staying away from spiders.

Seriously though. Biggest fear for me comes from the LORs and PS, and I'm trying to get the LORs before I graduate this May and getting my PS reviewed. Already took the LSAT and am done with UG grades so nothing to worry about there.


You and I are in the same boat. I am trying to wrap up my PS and get all my LORs lined up. I have one LOR who is waiting until I take the LSAT to write his letter. I guess his response if I do well is that it is standard of me to succeed, and if I do bad it is to say (I should hope) that it is not characteristic of my style or work ethic. :S

I take mine in June, because there is no way with everything going on I then that I could have taken them in December.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you do?

OmbreGracieuse
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:56 am

Lurkster wrote:I don't really have anyone new I can reach out to for LORs, and I can't improve on my numbers at all anymore. Additionally, next cycle may end up being more competitive than this one.

My fear is that I'm going to go through this exhausting process all over again, only to yield the same lackluster results. What am I doing to counter that fear? Well, I don't currently drink too much or too often. Ramping up seems like a better idea every day.


How did you do on your LSAT the last time you took it?

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby hellokitty » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:58 am

My biggest fear is that I won't increase my LSAT score and that 2011 will be more competitive than 2010 and I'll be shut out of schools that I would have gotten accepted to this year.

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:03 am

That I will bomb the LSAT.

Also, that I will do really well on the LSAT, get my hopes up, and then have my dreams dashed because I am a splitter.

It makes me sick every time I think of getting shut out everywhere I apply... my solution is to just not think about it.

User avatar
Lurkster
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:00 am

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby Lurkster » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:09 am

OmbreGracieuse wrote:How did you do on your LSAT the last time you took it?


I did really well, and actually got my hopes up too high because of it. When I say that I can't improve my numbers, I mean that even if I were to retake and score 180, it wouldn't make a difference in how my application is evaluated.

User avatar
Lurkster
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:00 am

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby Lurkster » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:15 am

bostonlawchick wrote:Also, that I will do really well on the LSAT, get my hopes up, and then have my dreams dashed because I am a splitter


This sounds eerily familiar! I don't know what your GPA is though. Probably not as bad as mine.

What I've learned from this cycle is this -- if you want t14 and are a sub 3.2 splitter, unless you want to ED to Northwestern or UVA, or go PT at GULC, prepare for disappointment.
Last edited by Lurkster on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby shock259 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:26 am

Do you guys really think this next cycle will be more competitive than this one? The economy is slowly starting to pick up. It's definitely not great, but it could be a lot worse. There's at least signs of improvement.

My fear is bombing the LSAT in June

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:31 am

Lurkster wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:Also, that I will do really well on the LSAT, get my hopes up, and then have my dreams dashed because I am a splitter


This sounds eerily familiar! I don't know what your GPA is though. Probably not as bad as mine.

What I've learned from this cycle is this -- if you want t14 and are a splitter, unless you want to ED to Northwestern or UVA, or go PT at GULC, prepare for disappointment.


no way- don't think that. I'm a splitter and I was definitely not shut out out of the T14 schools I wanted this cycle (which didn't really include any of those three). Just choose your recommenders carefully, put a lot of thought into your PS/DS, and most importantly kill the LSAT.

User avatar
Lurkster
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:00 am

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby Lurkster » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:36 am

blue5385 wrote:no way- don't think that. I'm a splitter and I was definitely not shut out out of the T14 schools I wanted this cycle (which didn't really include any of those three). Just choose your recommenders carefully, put a lot of thought into your PS/DS, and most importantly kill the LSAT.


Ok, fair enough blue, I've edited my previous post for clarity.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:42 am

Lurkster wrote:
blue5385 wrote:no way- don't think that. I'm a splitter and I was definitely not shut out out of the T14 schools I wanted this cycle (which didn't really include any of those three). Just choose your recommenders carefully, put a lot of thought into your PS/DS, and most importantly kill the LSAT.


Ok, fair enough blue, I've edited my previous post for clarity.


haha, with that qualification your post no longer applies to me so I can't offer any more encouragement. :(

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:41 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:That I will bomb the LSAT.

Also, that I will do really well on the LSAT, get my hopes up, and then have my dreams dashed because I am a splitter.

It makes me sick every time I think of getting shut out everywhere I apply... my solution is to just not think about it.


This. And I'm a 2012er. I went into preservation mode for my GPA and now phasing into defcon 3 for the LSAT.

Makes me want to lock myself in the bathroom an cry.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:20 pm

hellokitty wrote:My biggest fear is that I won't increase my LSAT score and that 2011 will be more competitive than 2010 and I'll be shut out of schools that I would have gotten accepted to this year.


That sounds about right. I wonder how many competitive candidates are also waiting an extra year to try to get an early start and thus making the next cycle more competitive.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:24 pm

But what if the economy improves to a point next year where the people who are supposedly applying to law school because they can't get a job in the current economic climate feel optimistic enough about their immediate job prospects to stay in the workforce instead of going back to school? (Sorry if that was a run-on question.) Since the economy is apparently recovering, you could make the case that next cycle will actually be less competitive than this one.

I don't feel strongly about this one way or the other since I'm done with apps...I'm just playing devil's advocate.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:32 pm

My freshman year minor in consumption tickets will come to haunt me.. and I get rejected by both bay area schools, harvard and michigan.. but get accepted to nyu

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:32 pm

blue5385 wrote:But what if the economy improves to a point next year where the people who are supposedly applying to law school because they can't get a job in the current economic climate feel optimistic enough about their immediate job prospects to stay in the workforce instead of going back to school? (Sorry if that was a run-on question.) Since the economy is apparently recovering, you could make the case that next cycle will actually be less competitive than this one.

I don't feel strongly about this one way or the other since I'm done with apps...I'm just playing devil's advocate.


If that's the case then Yay! If not then Boo! :lol:

I could conceivably wait another year after next if it means I can get into where I want to go. Maybe I will spend the whole year cracking the LSAT! (scary thing is I am not sure how seriously I am about that)

User avatar
mirpanda
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby mirpanda » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:43 pm

blue5385 wrote:But what if the economy improves to a point next year where the people who are supposedly applying to law school because they can't get a job in the current economic climate feel optimistic enough about their immediate job prospects to stay in the workforce instead of going back to school? (Sorry if that was a run-on question.) Since the economy is apparently recovering, you could make the case that next cycle will actually be less competitive than this one.

I don't feel strongly about this one way or the other since I'm done with apps...I'm just playing devil's advocate.


Some economists are reluctant to embrace the declaration of recovery, at least not yet:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-r ... 1428.story

Since I am most likely applying this fall, I would hope that your hypothetical would happen, but my gut instinct tells me that we won't be able to count on an economic recovery to reduce our competition next cycle.
Last edited by mirpanda on Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OmbreGracieuse
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:10 pm

shock259 wrote:My fear is bombing the LSAT in June


ME TOO. *sigh*

The thought of all that hinges on the LSAT keeps me up at night (no joke). I am going to be a splitter so I know how important it is that I do well on the LSAT. I've not studied a whole lot, but begin in a week and a half after all my last-semester senior grades are turned in. I graduate May 2nd, and will have been solidly studying for a week before that (since my finals are due during the normal finals week, it opens the time for me to study while my husband takes finals).

I've got the LSAC administered book, the Barron's guide, and am waiting on getting the Bibles with my next paycheck on Thursday. I took a LSAT already so I know how much I need to bring it up, and more importantly, what I need to study. Oddly enough it was the argument section. I've never studied arguments (not in depth anyways) to understand the whole labelling thing, ect. I did good on the rest. I worry though I'll overstudy or understudy, consequently bombing it.

On that note... what is the lowest GPA/LSAT combo anyone has seen admitted to a T-14 (where they were both low)?

User avatar
actorlaw
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 am

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby actorlaw » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:23 pm

What kool-aid are all of you drinking? Give me some.

Let's get real. The economy is not improving. Not yet. It will improve but it will take more time and definitely more measures must be taken other than shouting the words hope and change. The country is going further in debt and the unemployment rate continues to rise... So what facts are you using as proof that the economy is improving???

As far as law school applications for next year? They will be up. Probably more so than this year. This was a record setting year for law school applications. This doesn't have to be a bad thing though. Make wise decisions when applying, be organized, and get your stuff sent in early. After that, don't worry about it because it is out of your hands.

One positive thing about the economy being down? It increases competition and forces everyone to work harder, therefore stretching your potential and work ethic.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:26 pm

actorlaw wrote:So what facts are you using as proof that the economy is improving???


chill, no one was trying to definitively prove that the economy was improving. I posted a hypo that involved the economy improving, but hypo =/= categorically stating the economy will be better this time next year/trying to back that statement up with proof.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby Knock » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:50 pm

That the June LSAT will play exactly to my weaknesses and give me a score lower than my PT average.

That this cycle will be the most competitive one ever, and that in any other year except the one that I actually applied I would've got into my dream school.

User avatar
momo_08
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: For all of you going into the 2011 cycle...

Postby momo_08 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:53 pm

Lurkster wrote:I don't really have anyone new I can reach out to for LORs, and I can't improve on my numbers at all anymore. Additionally, next cycle may end up being more competitive than this one.

My fear is that I'm going to go through this exhausting process all over again, only to yield the same lackluster results. What am I doing to counter that fear? Well, I don't currently drink too much or too often. Ramping up seems like a better idea every day.


If you feel that you can't really get better scores on new LORs or whatever, try to do something that IS within your control like getting a few softs, volunteering/interning/working anything to show them you're a well-rounded individual. It is something they take into account when they're deciding if you're a good fit for their school. Good luck!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Finickywalrus and 3 guests