Worth it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BarbellDreams

Worth it?

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:41 pm

I basically have had a panic attack because lots of people I know who are going to law school next year have had legal experience (some sort of legal internship). I have not outside of being on the Mock Trial team for my school. Now I am freaking out because I don't want everyone to have a leg up on me when they go to law school because they had legal internships and I did not and I applied to a couple of unpaid internships for this summer.

My question is: Is taking an unpaid internship with a small firm even worth it? I have an interview with a small firm (3-5 attorneys) next week, the position is unpaid, and it will likely be a LOT of work for the next three months. Then I have a week to move, a week to adjust to the new city, and then law school starts. Am I doing the right thing in trying to take such a small firm at no pay just so it MIGHT bolster my resume?

icydash

Re: Worth it?

Postby icydash » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:48 pm

As a non-law school-student, any unpaid internship you'd get would be almost worthless (in terms of having a "leg up" in classes). You're not going to be doing any work where you'll learn anything substantial that'll help you in class. It may later on help you get a job if you've had some experience, but this will likely be negligible, too, since you won't be doing any real legal work.

My vote: enjoy your last free summer, forget the unpaid thing, go have fun. Don't worry about it. They probably haven't learned anything from their internships you couldn't learn within the first week of law school anyway.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:50 pm

icydash wrote:My vote: enjoy your last free summer, forget the unpaid thing, go have fun. Don't worry about it. They probably haven't learned anything from their internships you couldn't learn within the first week of law school anyway.

This.
Nobody will care what you did before law school unless you did something really awesome.
Enjoy your summer or make a few bucks, or both.

exitlane

Postby exitlane » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:51 pm

most legal internships are clerical: answering phones, filing, making copies, etc. They merely offer a glimpse into the legal field. Do not worry to much, just get top grades. In the end, grades are what matter the most.
Last edited by exitlane on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:51 pm

LS =/= legal internship/UG classes/other stuff from what I have gathered.

I have not had legal internship and I'm not worried in the slightest.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:03 pm

"Legal internships" are usually bullshit. People who believe that a summer fetching coffee, scheduling appointments, and making copies will provide them with an advantage in law school are in for a rude awakening. Get a paying job over the summer to save up money, or just have fun your last summer free before law school.

Neverknowsbest

Postby Neverknowsbest » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:17 pm

yea, you'd be better off doing volunteer work (and actually helping people, not just giving free labor to people who could afford to pay you something) or making some money. I think its more helpful to do something interesting than to do something legally related. A legal internship could be helpful for your 1L job search, although not as helpful as top grades. Most people don't get those kind of grades though.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:42 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:My question is: Is taking an unpaid internship with a small firm even worth it? I have an interview with a small firm (3-5 attorneys) next week, the position is unpaid, and it will likely be a LOT of work for the next three months. Then I have a week to move, a week to adjust to the new city, and then law school starts. Am I doing the right thing in trying to take such a small firm at no pay just so it MIGHT bolster my resume?

Have you been accepted somewhere then? I mean, if you are in a school you don't need another internship... also I feel like if you are going straight from internship to school then you would already have applied, thus defeating the ability to have put it on a resume.

Why not just enjoy your summer?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”