True or False: a 3.5 from HYPS > 3.8 from a T15-20 undergrad

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
flcath

Re: True or False: a 3.5 from HYPS > 3.8 from a T15-20 undergrad

Postby flcath » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:12 am

crackberry wrote:I am very proud of the sea change I seem to have initiated on TLS (using solely this thread as my evidence) that the upper tier of UGs should be HYPS and not just HYP. I feel this is an appropriate legacy.

Except that MIT/Caltech > all others

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:13 am

flcath wrote:Except that MIT/Caltech > all others

Hahaha in some ways. I know a lot of Caltech kids that can't have a simple conversation. But then again, I'm sure they'll laugh at my inability to comprehend quantum physics

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:05 am

crackberry wrote:I am very proud of the sea change I seem to have initiated on TLS (using solely this thread as my evidence) that the upper tier of UGs should be HYPS and not just HYP. I feel this is an appropriate legacy.

heh, well, i added that partially bc i was responding to you, but i do consider them on the same level....my sis goes there.....and i might've gone, if i had gotten in :D

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:14 am

Actually it appears, for the top law schools (especially HYSCC), that coming from any of the T20 Undergrad will provide a boost during your admissions. It really seems like a strong GPA from any of these UGs will provide a slight moderating effect on your LSAT if its low/median...

Of course HYP will still get the biggest boost, but just from cycle information (and looking at the lists of attendees for the ASW at one of the HYS), there definitely is some kind of advantage conferred by top undergrads that extends beyond just top 5. Self-selection is still a factor, of course, but for HYS it seems like the 3.8~3.9s from a good UG are in a different tier than the 3.8s~3.9s of lower schools.

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:37 pm

for some reason, whenever i see your name, i think of "<adjective> anti-Stanford trolling"

pelmen74

Postby pelmen74 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:24 pm

As far as I have heard, HYPS and Penn have ridiculous grade inflation, making it nearly impossible not to get an A in a course. Schools like Chi, NU, and Cornel (undergrad) are notorious for being much harder, so I am pretty sure that they are weighed just as heavily.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:01 pm

pelmen74 wrote:As far as I have heard, HYPS and Penn have ridiculous grade inflation, making it nearly impossible not to get an A in a course. Schools like Chi, NU, and Cornel (undergrad) are notorious for being much harder, so I am pretty sure that they are weighed just as heavily.

Totally depends on your major, at least at Stanford. Also, Princeton most certainly does not have rampant grade inflation.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”