American U- Denied Deferral RQ

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hanane

American U- Denied Deferral RQ

Postby hanane » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:44 pm

I was accepted to American and also received a 25k scholarship to study Arabic abroad for a year. I sent in a deferral request along with proof of receipt of the scholarship and a letter explaining how being semi-fluent in Arabic will tie in to my law career blah blah (which I know and truly believe it will). The timing for getting the scholarship/getting into law schools was about the same and I had no way of knowing I'd receive either. Today I got an denial of my request. I really do want to go to American and don't plan on applying/going anywhere else. Now I'm in this not so fun position. :cry: Anyone have any experience with this? Any advice?

yeff

Re: American U- Denied Deferral RQ

Postby yeff » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:09 pm

I really do want to go to American and don't plan on applying/going anywhere else.

Out of curiousity, why?

In regard to your actual question, you can just reapply next year. Same LOR (perhaps plus a new one from your study abroad) are fine, you should write an updated or new personal statement, and apply at the opening bell.

nycsoul87

Postby nycsoul87 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:12 pm

Law school is not going anywhere, just do the arabic study abroad and then reapply to American next yr.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:45 pm

I would say take the internship. The university will be there again next year, not only that-- maybe this internship could get you into your school easier, or get you into a more preferred school if that's what you want. :)

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:47 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote:I would say take the internship. The university will be there again next year, not only that-- maybe this internship could get you into your school easier, or get you into a more preferred school if that's what you want. :)

If you're in [strike]with a scholarship[/strike], your #s must be pretty decent. There's no reason you wouldn't get in next year. Take the internship and reapply.

This is a no brainer.

edit: misunderstood. Still, you'll get in again. If you don't agree, tell us why please.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:48 pm

take the year off. easy choice. for me at least.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”