Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

>90%
5%
>75%
25%
>60%
32%
>50%
17%
<50%
22%

Total votes: 199

Bodega

Postby Bodega » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:43 am

Not everyone admitted to NYU is also admitted to CLS.
Last edited by Bodega on Mon May 17, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

newyorker88

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby newyorker88 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:44 am

People make the same assumption with BC/BU. I went to the BC open house and got asked about a dozen times how are you deciding between BC and BU?

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:06 pm

newyorker88 wrote:People make the same assumption with BC/BU. I went to the BC open house and got asked about a dozen times how are you deciding between BC and BU?

I did this too. I was somewhat surprised to see that the vast majority said something along the lines of "oh I guess I'll end up at BU because I was waitlisted/rejected/not offered money at BC but if I was, I'd pick BC." That being said, most of these people were either out of undergrad or 2 years max out of undergrad which is the crew that picks bc anyway.

For the people I have talked to about NYU/CLS, they all seem to choose CLS even with more money at NYU.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:28 pm

66%

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:47 pm

You could have made a poll to ask people if they were admitted to CLS, or NYU, or both and get your own percentage.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:50 pm

According to a website, 77.3%.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:00 pm

Helmholtz wrote:According to a website, 77.3%.

which website?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:03 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:According to a website, 77.3%.

which website?

google.com

bigben

Postby bigben » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:07 pm

When the answers to a poll exist along a continuum like these numbers, people tend to think that the middle option seems more reasonable no matter how you frame the answer choices. This is especially true when the responder actually has no f*cking idea what the answer is but is just guessing. That seems to play out here.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:08 pm

imisscollege wrote:For the people I have talked to about NYU/CLS, they all seem to choose CLS even with more money at NYU.

Really? Very small sample size, I know, but I talked to several people who were going to pick NYU over CLS even if the latter had a slight edge in financial aid.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:10 pm

bigben wrote:When the answers to a poll exist along a continuum like these numbers, people tend to think that the middle option seems more reasonable no matter how you frame the answer choices. This is especially true when the responder actually has no f*cking idea what the answer is but is just guessing. That seems to play out here.

Or the fact that 90% is absurd and <50% makes absolutely no sense given the similarity in the type of student that applies to each school and the closeness in their reputation/admissions habits.

hopefullaw27

Postby hopefullaw27 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:13 pm

flip the script...percentage of cls admits also admitted to nyu?

bigben

Postby bigben » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:16 pm

GeePee wrote:
bigben wrote:When the answers to a poll exist along a continuum like these numbers, people tend to think that the middle option seems more reasonable no matter how you frame the answer choices. This is especially true when the responder actually has no f*cking idea what the answer is but is just guessing. That seems to play out here.

Or the fact that 90% is absurd and <50% makes absolutely no sense given the similarity in the type of student that applies to each school and the closeness in their reputation/admissions habits.

Perhaps.

A much better question would be "what percent of people who are at NYU got into CLS" since as it stands you are including many people that went to h, y, s, chicago.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:18 pm

bigben wrote:
GeePee wrote:

Perhaps.

A much better question would be "what percent of people who are at NYU got into CLS" since as it stands you are including many people that went to h, y, s, chicago.

I'd guess that at least half of the nyu class did not get into cls.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:21 pm

bigben wrote:
GeePee wrote:

Perhaps.

That question is not more relevant to what the OP is asking.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:59 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:flip the script...percentage of cls admits also admitted to nyu?

More or less the same.

I imagine both schools try to "reach down" a little bit to get some people who the other school did not admit. Additionally, I'm sure there are a lot of people who only apply to one or the other. There are probably also a lot of people who apply ED to one, get in, then withdraw from the other before getting a decision (that might well have been an admit).

Also, yield rates at NYU and Columbia are not substantially different (34% at Columbia, 28% at NYU, compare to 25% at Chicago or 43% at Stanford), so I don't think it's really reasonable to say that the overwhelming choice is Columbia over NYU. Added bonus to CLS's yield rate that they offer more full scholarships that draw people away from HYS while NYU does not. (NYU has a handful but gives out a lot fewer than Columbia.)

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:04 pm

BenJ wrote:
hopefullaw27 wrote:flip the script...percentage of cls admits also admitted to nyu?

More or less the same.

I imagine both schools try to "reach down" a little bit to get some people who the other school did not admit. Additionally, I'm sure there are a lot of people who only apply to one or the other. There are probably also a lot of people who apply ED to one, get in, then withdraw from the other before getting a decision (that might well have been an admit).

Also, yield rates at NYU and Columbia are not substantially different (34% at Columbia, 28% at NYU, compare to 25% at Chicago or 43% at Stanford), so I don't think it's really reasonable to say that the overwhelming choice is Columbia over NYU. Added bonus to CLS's yield rate that they offer more full scholarships that draw people away from HYS while NYU does not. (NYU has a handful but gives out a lot fewer than Columbia.)

How do you figure? NYU has something like 20 RTK (as well as other named scholarships) a year. I don't think CLS gives out more than 9 or 10 Hamiltons and one or two public interest fellowship in a standard year.

smashedpumpkins

Postby smashedpumpkins » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:08 pm

chris0805 wrote:
BenJ wrote:

More or less the same.

How do you figure? NYU has something like 20 RTK (as well as other named scholarships) a year. I don't think CLS gives out more than 9 or 10 Hamiltons and one or two public interest fellowship in a standard year.

I actually think that the Hamilton number is closer to 25-30.

However, NYU offers full Dean's scholarships to about that many people, as well as the RTK, An Bryce, etc. NYU probably still offers more scholarship money.

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:15 pm

smashedpumpkins wrote:
chris0805 wrote:
BenJ wrote:

More or less the same.

However, NYU offers full Dean's scholarships to about that many people, as well as the RTK, An Bryce, etc. NYU probably still offers more scholarship money.

Do you think the Hamilton acceptance rate is that low? I heard (somewhat anecdotal) that there are only 5 in my class and about the same in the class below. I guess when Yale is your other option, it might make sense that there's a low yield. :mrgreen:

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:22 pm

smashedpumpkins wrote:
chris0805 wrote:
BenJ wrote:

More or less the same.

There are 21 Hamiltons reported on LSN for this year alone. LSN consists of no more than maybe a quarter at most of admits. Columbia has to offer at least around 75 Hamiltons every year, possibly up to 100. (Obviously, most people turn them down.)

Count the $153k people (last one is on page 3):
http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... er=asc&p=1

Edit: Just recounted and found 20. Whatever, same point applies.

smashedpumpkins

Postby smashedpumpkins » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:27 pm

BenJ wrote:There are 21 Hamiltons reported on LSN for this year alone. LSN consists of no more than maybe a quarter at most of admits. Columbia has to offer at least around 75 Hamiltons every year, possibly up to 100. (Obviously, most people turn them down.)

Count the $153k people (last one is on page 3):
http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... er=asc&p=1

Edit: Just recounted and found 20. Whatever, same point applies.

I really doubt there's that many. At the last ASD, there were 10 kids at the meeting. Double that (for the March ASD) and maybe add in another 10-15 who didn't visit at all (unless you think there's a huge population of recipients who think it's not even worth their while to visit, which I find somewhat hard to believe).

Also, yes, their yield is really that low. From talking with people at the most recent ASD, I think the majority will go HYS.

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:34 pm

Ok, fair enough. The point being that NYU has 20+ students ever year that ACCEPT a full scholarship, which is more than CLS. Obviously, they both offer a lot more (though I never really trusted LSN as (1) trustworthy or (2) representative of the general LS applicant population). I guess I overestimated the drawing power of full tuition.

bigben

Postby bigben » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:38 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
bigben wrote:A much better question would be "what percent of people who are at NYU got into CLS" since as it stands you are including many people that went to h, y, s, chicago.

I'd guess that too.

bigben

Postby bigben » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:45 pm

GeePee wrote:
bigben wrote:A much better question would be "what percent of people who are at NYU got into CLS" since as it stands you are including many people that went to h, y, s, chicago.

That question is not more relevant to what the OP is asking.

Yes it is.

badfish

Postby badfish » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:52 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
bigben wrote:
GeePee wrote:

Perhaps.

i'd guess you are wrong

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”