Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

>90%
10
5%
>75%
49
25%
>60%
63
32%
>50%
34
17%
<50%
43
22%
 
Total votes: 199

User avatar
Bodega
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:02 pm

Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby Bodega » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:43 am

Not everyone admitted to NYU is also admitted to CLS.
Last edited by Bodega on Mon May 17, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby newyorker88 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:44 am

People make the same assumption with BC/BU. I went to the BC open house and got asked about a dozen times how are you deciding between BC and BU?

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby imisscollege » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:06 pm

newyorker88 wrote:People make the same assumption with BC/BU. I went to the BC open house and got asked about a dozen times how are you deciding between BC and BU?


I did this too. I was somewhat surprised to see that the vast majority said something along the lines of "oh I guess I'll end up at BU because I was waitlisted/rejected/not offered money at BC but if I was, I'd pick BC." That being said, most of these people were either out of undergrad or 2 years max out of undergrad which is the crew that picks bc anyway.

For the people I have talked to about NYU/CLS, they all seem to choose CLS even with more money at NYU.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:28 pm

66%

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:47 pm

You could have made a poll to ask people if they were admitted to CLS, or NYU, or both and get your own percentage.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:50 pm

According to a website, 77.3%.

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby newyorker88 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:00 pm

Helmholtz wrote:According to a website, 77.3%.


which website?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:03 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:According to a website, 77.3%.


which website?


google.com

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby bigben » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:07 pm

When the answers to a poll exist along a continuum like these numbers, people tend to think that the middle option seems more reasonable no matter how you frame the answer choices. This is especially true when the responder actually has no f*cking idea what the answer is but is just guessing. That seems to play out here.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby clintonius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:08 pm

imisscollege wrote:For the people I have talked to about NYU/CLS, they all seem to choose CLS even with more money at NYU.

Really? Very small sample size, I know, but I talked to several people who were going to pick NYU over CLS even if the latter had a slight edge in financial aid.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby GeePee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:10 pm

bigben wrote:When the answers to a poll exist along a continuum like these numbers, people tend to think that the middle option seems more reasonable no matter how you frame the answer choices. This is especially true when the responder actually has no f*cking idea what the answer is but is just guessing. That seems to play out here.

Or the fact that 90% is absurd and <50% makes absolutely no sense given the similarity in the type of student that applies to each school and the closeness in their reputation/admissions habits.

hopefullaw27
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby hopefullaw27 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:13 pm

flip the script...percentage of cls admits also admitted to nyu?

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby bigben » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:16 pm

GeePee wrote:
bigben wrote:When the answers to a poll exist along a continuum like these numbers, people tend to think that the middle option seems more reasonable no matter how you frame the answer choices. This is especially true when the responder actually has no f*cking idea what the answer is but is just guessing. That seems to play out here.

Or the fact that 90% is absurd and <50% makes absolutely no sense given the similarity in the type of student that applies to each school and the closeness in their reputation/admissions habits.


Perhaps.

A much better question would be "what percent of people who are at NYU got into CLS" since as it stands you are including many people that went to h, y, s, chicago.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:18 pm

bigben wrote:
GeePee wrote:
bigben wrote:When the answers to a poll exist along a continuum like these numbers, people tend to think that the middle option seems more reasonable no matter how you frame the answer choices. This is especially true when the responder actually has no f*cking idea what the answer is but is just guessing. That seems to play out here.

Or the fact that 90% is absurd and <50% makes absolutely no sense given the similarity in the type of student that applies to each school and the closeness in their reputation/admissions habits.


Perhaps.

A much better question would be "what percent of people who are at NYU got into CLS" since as it stands you are including many people that went to h, y, s, chicago.

I'd guess that at least half of the nyu class did not get into cls.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby GeePee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:21 pm

bigben wrote:
GeePee wrote:
bigben wrote:When the answers to a poll exist along a continuum like these numbers, people tend to think that the middle option seems more reasonable no matter how you frame the answer choices. This is especially true when the responder actually has no f*cking idea what the answer is but is just guessing. That seems to play out here.

Or the fact that 90% is absurd and <50% makes absolutely no sense given the similarity in the type of student that applies to each school and the closeness in their reputation/admissions habits.


Perhaps.

A much better question would be "what percent of people who are at NYU got into CLS" since as it stands you are including many people that went to h, y, s, chicago.

That question is not more relevant to what the OP is asking.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby BenJ » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:59 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:flip the script...percentage of cls admits also admitted to nyu?


More or less the same.

I imagine both schools try to "reach down" a little bit to get some people who the other school did not admit. Additionally, I'm sure there are a lot of people who only apply to one or the other. There are probably also a lot of people who apply ED to one, get in, then withdraw from the other before getting a decision (that might well have been an admit).

Also, yield rates at NYU and Columbia are not substantially different (34% at Columbia, 28% at NYU, compare to 25% at Chicago or 43% at Stanford), so I don't think it's really reasonable to say that the overwhelming choice is Columbia over NYU. Added bonus to CLS's yield rate that they offer more full scholarships that draw people away from HYS while NYU does not. (NYU has a handful but gives out a lot fewer than Columbia.)

User avatar
chris0805
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby chris0805 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:04 pm

BenJ wrote:
hopefullaw27 wrote:flip the script...percentage of cls admits also admitted to nyu?


More or less the same.

I imagine both schools try to "reach down" a little bit to get some people who the other school did not admit. Additionally, I'm sure there are a lot of people who only apply to one or the other. There are probably also a lot of people who apply ED to one, get in, then withdraw from the other before getting a decision (that might well have been an admit).

Also, yield rates at NYU and Columbia are not substantially different (34% at Columbia, 28% at NYU, compare to 25% at Chicago or 43% at Stanford), so I don't think it's really reasonable to say that the overwhelming choice is Columbia over NYU. Added bonus to CLS's yield rate that they offer more full scholarships that draw people away from HYS while NYU does not. (NYU has a handful but gives out a lot fewer than Columbia.)


How do you figure? NYU has something like 20 RTK (as well as other named scholarships) a year. I don't think CLS gives out more than 9 or 10 Hamiltons and one or two public interest fellowship in a standard year.

smashedpumpkins
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby smashedpumpkins » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:08 pm

chris0805 wrote:
BenJ wrote:
hopefullaw27 wrote:flip the script...percentage of cls admits also admitted to nyu?


More or less the same.

I imagine both schools try to "reach down" a little bit to get some people who the other school did not admit. Additionally, I'm sure there are a lot of people who only apply to one or the other. There are probably also a lot of people who apply ED to one, get in, then withdraw from the other before getting a decision (that might well have been an admit).

Also, yield rates at NYU and Columbia are not substantially different (34% at Columbia, 28% at NYU, compare to 25% at Chicago or 43% at Stanford), so I don't think it's really reasonable to say that the overwhelming choice is Columbia over NYU. Added bonus to CLS's yield rate that they offer more full scholarships that draw people away from HYS while NYU does not. (NYU has a handful but gives out a lot fewer than Columbia.)


How do you figure? NYU has something like 20 RTK (as well as other named scholarships) a year. I don't think CLS gives out more than 9 or 10 Hamiltons and one or two public interest fellowship in a standard year.



I actually think that the Hamilton number is closer to 25-30.

However, NYU offers full Dean's scholarships to about that many people, as well as the RTK, An Bryce, etc. NYU probably still offers more scholarship money.

User avatar
chris0805
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby chris0805 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:15 pm

smashedpumpkins wrote:
chris0805 wrote:
BenJ wrote:
hopefullaw27 wrote:flip the script...percentage of cls admits also admitted to nyu?


More or less the same.

I imagine both schools try to "reach down" a little bit to get some people who the other school did not admit. Additionally, I'm sure there are a lot of people who only apply to one or the other. There are probably also a lot of people who apply ED to one, get in, then withdraw from the other before getting a decision (that might well have been an admit).

Also, yield rates at NYU and Columbia are not substantially different (34% at Columbia, 28% at NYU, compare to 25% at Chicago or 43% at Stanford), so I don't think it's really reasonable to say that the overwhelming choice is Columbia over NYU. Added bonus to CLS's yield rate that they offer more full scholarships that draw people away from HYS while NYU does not. (NYU has a handful but gives out a lot fewer than Columbia.)


How do you figure? NYU has something like 20 RTK (as well as other named scholarships) a year. I don't think CLS gives out more than 9 or 10 Hamiltons and one or two public interest fellowship in a standard year.



I actually think that the Hamilton number is closer to 25-30.

However, NYU offers full Dean's scholarships to about that many people, as well as the RTK, An Bryce, etc. NYU probably still offers more scholarship money.


Do you think the Hamilton acceptance rate is that low? I heard (somewhat anecdotal) that there are only 5 in my class and about the same in the class below. I guess when Yale is your other option, it might make sense that there's a low yield. :mrgreen:

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby BenJ » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:22 pm

smashedpumpkins wrote:
chris0805 wrote:
BenJ wrote:
hopefullaw27 wrote:flip the script...percentage of cls admits also admitted to nyu?


More or less the same.

I imagine both schools try to "reach down" a little bit to get some people who the other school did not admit. Additionally, I'm sure there are a lot of people who only apply to one or the other. There are probably also a lot of people who apply ED to one, get in, then withdraw from the other before getting a decision (that might well have been an admit).

Also, yield rates at NYU and Columbia are not substantially different (34% at Columbia, 28% at NYU, compare to 25% at Chicago or 43% at Stanford), so I don't think it's really reasonable to say that the overwhelming choice is Columbia over NYU. Added bonus to CLS's yield rate that they offer more full scholarships that draw people away from HYS while NYU does not. (NYU has a handful but gives out a lot fewer than Columbia.)


How do you figure? NYU has something like 20 RTK (as well as other named scholarships) a year. I don't think CLS gives out more than 9 or 10 Hamiltons and one or two public interest fellowship in a standard year.



I actually think that the Hamilton number is closer to 25-30.

However, NYU offers full Dean's scholarships to about that many people, as well as the RTK, An Bryce, etc. NYU probably still offers more scholarship money.


There are 21 Hamiltons reported on LSN for this year alone. LSN consists of no more than maybe a quarter at most of admits. Columbia has to offer at least around 75 Hamiltons every year, possibly up to 100. (Obviously, most people turn them down.)

Count the $153k people (last one is on page 3):
http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... er=asc&p=1

Edit: Just recounted and found 20. Whatever, same point applies.

smashedpumpkins
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby smashedpumpkins » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:27 pm

BenJ wrote:There are 21 Hamiltons reported on LSN for this year alone. LSN consists of no more than maybe a quarter at most of admits. Columbia has to offer at least around 75 Hamiltons every year, possibly up to 100. (Obviously, most people turn them down.)

Count the $153k people (last one is on page 3):
http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... er=asc&p=1

Edit: Just recounted and found 20. Whatever, same point applies.



I really doubt there's that many. At the last ASD, there were 10 kids at the meeting. Double that (for the March ASD) and maybe add in another 10-15 who didn't visit at all (unless you think there's a huge population of recipients who think it's not even worth their while to visit, which I find somewhat hard to believe).


Also, yes, their yield is really that low. From talking with people at the most recent ASD, I think the majority will go HYS.

User avatar
chris0805
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby chris0805 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:34 pm

Ok, fair enough. The point being that NYU has 20+ students ever year that ACCEPT a full scholarship, which is more than CLS. Obviously, they both offer a lot more (though I never really trusted LSN as (1) trustworthy or (2) representative of the general LS applicant population). I guess I overestimated the drawing power of full tuition.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby bigben » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:38 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
bigben wrote:A much better question would be "what percent of people who are at NYU got into CLS" since as it stands you are including many people that went to h, y, s, chicago.

I'd guess that at least half of the nyu class did not get into cls.


I'd guess that too.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby bigben » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:45 pm

GeePee wrote:
bigben wrote:A much better question would be "what percent of people who are at NYU got into CLS" since as it stands you are including many people that went to h, y, s, chicago.

That question is not more relevant to what the OP is asking.


Yes it is.

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: Guess the % admitted to NYU that are also admitted to CLS

Postby badfish » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:52 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
bigben wrote:
GeePee wrote:
bigben wrote:When the answers to a poll exist along a continuum like these numbers, people tend to think that the middle option seems more reasonable no matter how you frame the answer choices. This is especially true when the responder actually has no f*cking idea what the answer is but is just guessing. That seems to play out here.

Or the fact that 90% is absurd and <50% makes absolutely no sense given the similarity in the type of student that applies to each school and the closeness in their reputation/admissions habits.


Perhaps.

A much better question would be "what percent of people who are at NYU got into CLS" since as it stands you are including many people that went to h, y, s, chicago.

I'd guess that at least half of the nyu class did not get into cls.


i'd guess you are wrong




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Purple Post It Note, Tazewell and 11 guests