Want to Apply early, taking October LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thomas85

Want to Apply early, taking October LSAT

Postby thomas85 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:30 am

I really want to apply as early as possible next cycle, but I won't be ready for the LSAT until October. Even if I send in my application really early (around the same time I take the LSAT), its not going to get considered until my LSAT scores are made available. Is there still any reason to apply early if I am taking the LSAT so late?

nick637

Re: Want to Apply early, taking October LSAT

Postby nick637 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:36 am

Even if you go complete on early nov that's still pretty early IMHO

thomas85

Postby thomas85 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:48 am

What is considered super early? If I were to take the LSAT in June and end up taking a 3 or 4point hit on the score I could have gotten in october, would it be worth it to be early? Im concerned to because my application is a total splitter and I was under the impression that early decisions are more friendly towards splitters.

nick637

Postby nick637 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:07 am

Super early is the first week like sept 20 or so. You'll get the most advantage applying this early but going complete in nov will prob not hurt your app at all

evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:41 am

I don't think applying in September is worth 3-4 points lower on the LSAT. Many schools don't start reviewing applications until early November anyway. My advice would be to apply in mid October, the day that you get your LSAT score, just so that there are no surprises. That's still very early. The other advantage to waiting to apply is that at the Law School Forums in September and October many schools give out application fee waivers. They also send fee waivers after LSAT scores are released.

thomas85

Postby thomas85 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:44 am

evilgenius wrote:I don't think applying in September is worth 3-4 points lower on the LSAT. Many schools don't start reviewing applications until early November anyway. My advice would be to apply in mid October, the day that you get your LSAT score, just so that there are no surprises. That's still very early. The other advantage to waiting to apply is that at the Law School Forums in September and October many schools give out application fee waivers. They also send fee waivers after LSAT scores are released.

By Law School Forums, do you mean TLS?

evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:59 am

thomas85 wrote:
evilgenius wrote:I don't think applying in September is worth 3-4 points lower on the LSAT. Many schools don't start reviewing applications until early November anyway. My advice would be to apply in mid October, the day that you get your LSAT score, just so that there are no surprises. That's still very early. The other advantage to waiting to apply is that at the Law School Forums in September and October many schools give out application fee waivers. They also send fee waivers after LSAT scores are released.

By Law School Forums, do you mean TLS?

No i meant the LSAC organized law school forums:

http://lsac.org/choosing/law-school-rec ... forums.asp

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:13 pm

evilgenius wrote:I don't think applying in September is worth 3-4 points lower on the LSAT.

+23164654654.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:17 pm

I know it isn't worth even one LSAT point. It's a very marginal boost. And as long as you are ready to apply when the Oct scores come out, you are still early.

Just make sure you have your Letters of Recommendation ready, your transcript in, and I'd recommend working on your personal statement in the three week window between the LSAT and the scores coming out.

TUP

Postby TUP » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:43 am

I'm in a similar position, and the lack of a good retake opportunity is also an issue with an October exam. I've been able to start prepping seriously only in the last week, and I'm still not sure if I should sign up for June with 8 weeks of prep or wait until October.

It's too bad that the October exam is so late this year as well. The score release date is actually pushed into November, which I believe is a first.

thomas85

Postby thomas85 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:07 pm

TUP wrote:It's too bad that the October exam is so late this year as well. The score release date is actually pushed into November, which I believe is a first.

Just my luck. Make no mistake, it got pushed into November because I am applying this cycle.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”