Is the MBA better than the JD? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
philip.platt

New

Is the MBA better than the JD?

Post by philip.platt » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:21 pm

I saw this video that my friend created for her program at IU's Kelley school of business - there is someone talking and a baby in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8zDXgXrLBg

It made me think . . . the MBA is better . . . what do you think?

leraa6587

Bronze

Re: Is the MBA better than the JD?

Post by leraa6587 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:27 pm

Definitely, it's really hard to buy one online these days too. Please say this is a joke.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:30 pm

Very cute kid though. Just watched the video, I get it now- sorry for the sarcasm.

philip.platt

New

Post by philip.platt » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:33 am

leraa6587 wrote:Very cute kid though. Just watched the video, I get it now- sorry for the sarcasm.
lol yeah i kind of just liked the video and threw that out there

i have the LSAT june 7 . . . wish me luck if you are reading this and i will send some good karma and a fresh chocolate chip cookie your way . . .

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:40 am

depends...a top MBA (Harvard, Wharton, Haas, Tuck, etc.) is probably better than any non-T14 law school. But I think a "T50" law school is probably better than a "T50" b-school.

Even more generally, I think an MBA might give you more flexible options in terms of field and region, but a JD (again - T1) usually has greater long-term earning potential. And although the material covered in law school is often abstract and has little real world application, from what I hear MBA coursework is even worse.

If you really want to go the MBA route you should first get a job with a large company that offers tuition reimbursement. Then you should get 4-5 years experience. In the meantime get a great GMAT score and get into one of those top schools. "Above average" b-schools like Kelley probably aren't good enough ITE.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:59 am

swheat wrote:depends...a top MBA (Harvard, Wharton, Haas, Tuck, etc.) is probably better than any non-T14 law school. But I think a "T50" law school is probably better than a "T50" b-school.
Wow, rancid anti-Stanford GSB trolling. My god.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:13 am

swheat wrote: If you really want to go the MBA route you should first get a job with a large company that offers tuition reimbursement.
+1

An MBA is nearly useless if you are not prepared to apply your new skills to some higher up position at your old firm or some new firm that will hire you based on your prior work experience. That's why you are required to have 2 years of work experience before entering. Not everyone does it, sure. But those are usually people at elite schools that are focusing on financial modeling.

I have a friend with a 760 GMAT, 3.6 in Math/Econ from a top private, and whose father taught at Penn. Didn't even get an interview at Wharton because his work experience is bunk. Taught the SATs and got a real estate license. Had he worked at GS for two years doing investment analysis, he's a shoe in.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:55 am

crackberry wrote:
swheat wrote:depends...a top MBA (Harvard, Wharton, Haas, Tuck, etc.) is probably better than any non-T14 law school. But I think a "T50" law school is probably better than a "T50" b-school.
Dude..relax. You'd have to be a moron not to include Stanford among the top schools for everything. Columbia also has an excellent b-school. I didn't intend my list to be exhaustive; if I had, I wouldn't have written 'etc.'

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:19 am

swheat wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Dude..relax. You'd have to be a moron not to include Stanford among the top schools for everything. Columbia also has an excellent b-school. I didn't intend my list to be exhaustive; if I had, I wouldn't have written 'etc.'
Yeah I mean it was sort of a joke, but including Haas at the expense of the GSB made me cringe.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bobo11111111111

New

Post by bobo11111111111 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:02 pm

Law School trumps an MBA.

There are certainly excellent MBA programs out there though. But, it just seems too easy to get an MBA these days. I hope that the same doesn't happen to law. At least law has the bar.

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:42 pm

Do you want to be a head-strong alpha male that goes to work with people who had to go through law school or a head-strong alpha male that goes to work with people who had to get through business school? I've always felt I have more in common with people who like putting themselves through hell. I think there are a lot more people like that getting their JD than MBA.

Matt07

New

Post by Matt07 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:53 pm

I agree with the poster above me. I am in business school and it feels cheap. It isn't that challenging and I am looking forward to working with people who are more ambitious. Business seems like the major for people who can't make up their minds on what they want to do.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:57 pm

philip.platt wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:Very cute kid though. Just watched the video, I get it now- sorry for the sarcasm.
lol yeah i kind of just liked the video and threw that out there

i have the LSAT june 7 . . . wish me luck if you are reading this and i will send some good karma and a fresh chocolate chip cookie your way . . .
most definitely! Make yourself a playlist of music you'll get pumped up to for the car ride to the LSAT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JustBelieve

New

Post by JustBelieve » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:46 pm

bobo11111111111 wrote:Law School trumps an MBA.

There are certainly excellent MBA programs out there though. But, it just seems too easy to get an MBA these days. I hope that the same doesn't happen to law. At least law has the bar.
+1 - Very true

philip.platt

New

Post by philip.platt » Thu May 13, 2010 12:05 pm

JustBelieve wrote:
bobo11111111111 wrote:Law School trumps an MBA.

+1 - Very true
I believe. However, I'll agree to disagree. 8)

herberthoover

New

Post by herberthoover » Thu May 13, 2010 5:36 pm

Funny clip, I guess if B school doesn't get the guy a decent job he can train seals to do tricks.

If you were seriously asking, MBA v. JD?

I would say you're comparing apples to oranges. I think business school focuses much more on quantitative reasoning and puts emphasis on inter-personal and group (leadership) skills.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”