Is law school tougher in a new state?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby kn6542 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:28 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:Doing ANYTHING in a new state is tougher.

I really don't get why it matters. Going to law school is a change from whatever you were doing before. Since no U.S. law schools are located in 3d world countries, I'm not sure why it mattes where it is. It's not like there won't be housing, running water, or ppl who speak your language wherever you go. Just a weird question all around.


You're not familiar with the area. You don't know where to go, you don't know anyone, you don't know where the nicest areas are, etc. etc. etc.

But that's true of going to a new CITY, not necessarily a new state. Why is this about a new state?
How many ppl are srsly limiting their law school choices to places where they have lived before? That's just idiotic. Everywhere but the limited area where you grew up is "new." So what? How hard is it to locate a fucking grocery store and bank and shit? I wouldn't think this is "tough" enough to even make it a consideration. It's just assumed that you have to adjust when you do something new. Its completely unremarkable.

dusk2k2
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby dusk2k2 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:36 pm

...
Last edited by dusk2k2 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
holybartender
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby holybartender » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:39 pm

Sorry, Jewish guilt is more infamous than Asian shame, but we still find a way to live with it. Really, honor?

CMDantes
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby CMDantes » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:41 pm

kn6542 wrote:
CMDantes wrote:Right, by the group of people I have classified as "nice" I don't mean the people with whom I'm engaged in some kind of personal or professional relationship.

I meant the people on the street. I mean in New York someone will glare at you for asking them the time and laugh at a woman who expects someone to open a door for her. Or curse at you for taking too long on a stairway or something like that. In Texas people sometimes go out of their way to help you find whatever you're looking for or help you with some heavy shit you're carrying. Sure, it can be considered fake if you dissect how those same people act in their personal/professional relationships.

I mean, who gives a shit if you're a backstabbing liar when your only interaction with some random person is to give them directions or hold open a door for them.

Who said you didn't mean the "people on the street?"

I didn't say it mattered. You said it matters.

I personally can manage my own affairs and don't give a shit what "people on the street" are doing.


I applaud you for being such a big boy, handling your own affairs and such. I was merely pointing out that the sincerity of random nice people, who create the desirable nice environment I was talking about, is inconsequential.

You said that people in Texas will stab you in the back without hesitation, I'm saying it doesn't matter when considering the niceness of random people in a given region...as you won't be dealing with random strangers at a level that would make you vulnerable to be stabbed in the back.

Edit: Further, when you ARE in a professional relationship with someone, I think it's fair to say that any American in a competitive office environment will stab you in the back while smiling to your face. I think anyone entering the workforce with a high degree realizes this. So when you get to that level of relationship with someone, isn't it all the same? If it's all the same, then wouldn't you prefer to be somewhere where, at least on the street, people are nice?
Last edited by CMDantes on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby kn6542 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:42 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:You guys just don't get what Asian shame is all about. I can't explain it. You have to just experience it to understand. You think Asians are so highly educated because we're just smarter or harder workers than everyone else? There's a lot more to it, and much of it has to do with the focus on the family. I can't move out without feeling feeling like I've disappointed my family and ruined our honor. You have to be Asian to understand my situation...and why I cannot move out of my house if I stay in DC.

You don't have to be Azn to understand this. Fucking man up and deal with your shit. Jesus.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby kn6542 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:45 pm

CMDantes wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
CMDantes wrote:Right, by the group of people I have classified as "nice" I don't mean the people with whom I'm engaged in some kind of personal or professional relationship.

I meant the people on the street. I mean in New York someone will glare at you for asking them the time and laugh at a woman who expects someone to open a door for her. Or curse at you for taking too long on a stairway or something like that. In Texas people sometimes go out of their way to help you find whatever you're looking for or help you with some heavy shit you're carrying. Sure, it can be considered fake if you dissect how those same people act in their personal/professional relationships.

I mean, who gives a shit if you're a backstabbing liar when your only interaction with some random person is to give them directions or hold open a door for them.

Who said you didn't mean the "people on the street?"

I didn't say it mattered. You said it matters.

I personally can manage my own affairs and don't give a shit what "people on the street" are doing.


I applaud you for being such a big boy, handling your own affairs and such. I was merely pointing out that the sincerity of random nice people, who create the desirable nice environment I was talking about, is inconsequential.

You said that people in Texas will stab you in the back without hesitation, I'm saying it doesn't matter when considering the niceness of random people in a given region...as you won't be dealing with random strangers at a level that would make you vulnerable to be stabbed in the back.


It matters bc your interactions with ppl on the street are largely unimportant. An example of "supeficial" might be ppl that consider interactions with people on the street to actually comprise an important part of life. What matters is the relations you build with ppl in your life, and if you're surrounded by Texans, well, those relations are probably going to be about as superficial as what you're describing.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:45 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:You guys just don't get what Asian shame is all about. I can't explain it. You have to just experience it to understand. You think Asians are so highly educated because we're just smarter or harder workers than everyone else? There's a lot more to it, and much of it has to do with the focus on the family. I can't move out without feeling feeling like I've disappointed my family and ruined our honor. You have to be Asian to understand my situation...and why I cannot move out of my house if I stay in DC.


You're going to have trouble explaining your situation to even this Asian. ***points to self***

Just move out of your parents' house unless you want to keep living there. Geez. You're 22 now. Learn to stop letting people, including your parents, walk all over you.

dusk2k2
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby dusk2k2 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:47 pm

...............
Last edited by dusk2k2 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
NewHere
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby NewHere » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Has anyone ever taken this plunge?


Seriously?!

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:49 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:I'd love if another Asian (and I mean an Asian with immigrant parents who work in restaurants) could chime in and explain what I'm talking about. There's really not much more that I can say or explain unless you can actually try to walk in my shoes for a day.


Guess I'm not a real Asian with immigrant parents since my parents both work white collar jobs, in education of all professions. :roll: I wouldn't know. I only applied to UG out of state so um yeah...so I've been pretty much taking care of myself since college started, with the only dependence on my parents being financial.

Well anyway, have fun in Minnesota.
Last edited by motiontodismiss on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dusk2k2
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby dusk2k2 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:51 pm

...............
Last edited by dusk2k2 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:52 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:Ok fine, screw it. I'm going to take out 70k in loans for the next three years and go to GW and live on my own. ~210K in debt. Is that a good idea for me?


No. Buy a coat and go to MN (assuming you mean UMN-TC).
Last edited by motiontodismiss on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
holybartender
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby holybartender » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:52 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:I'd love if another Asian (and I mean an Asian with immigrant parents who work in restaurants) could chime in and explain what I'm talking about. There's really not much more that I can say or explain unless you can actually try to walk in my shoes for a day.

But anyway, this topic has digressed so far from where we started. Anyway, I'm going to Minnesota because I don't want to take out a huge loan. Is that so wrong!?


... No? What's wrong is you've been so warped by your parents that you literally think you're incapable of moving out if you were to go to GW. Not because you're trying to save money, but because you're going to destroy your family's honor.

dusk2k2
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby dusk2k2 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:56 pm

...
Last edited by dusk2k2 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:59 pm

UMN. UMN dominates MSP while GW is relegated to secondary school status in DC.

And CoL is lower in MSP.

User avatar
pany1985
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby pany1985 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:03 pm

So why are your parents willing to pay your rent if you go to MN but not if you stay in DC? I understand that they'd want you to stay at home (saving money for everyone involved) if you go to GW... but you could try mentioning that their willingness to subsidize you only if you move to MN is providing a serious monetary incentive to go far away from them. Since your parents love you, and presumably want you to be close enough that they can see you occasionally during the next three years, I'd at least try to guilt them into paying for you to get your own place in DC.

User avatar
holybartender
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby holybartender » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:04 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:Here's my new situation. I'll grow up and be a man and live on my own. No way in hell my parents will pay any rent for me in DC, so here's what we got.

~70K a year at GW with tuition and living expenses. Lots of connections in DC, though no Big Law connections, only judges and the govt lawyers.

~17K a year at Minnesota after scholarship. Parents pay my living expenses or at least drastically subsidize it. I have no connections in Minnesota.

Which one do I pick?


I think you're better off going to Minnesota and using your connections to secure a summer position in DC. You can live at home and your parents can preen over you while you save money and go to a better school. It's a win/win.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:15 pm

kn6542 wrote:
You don't have to be Azn to understand this. Fucking man up and deal with your shit. Jesus.



Way to be helpful, jackass.

Dear OP, I certainly understand where you are coming from. I have several Asian friends, most of whom have hidden relationships from their parents at one time or another because dating (at all for some) outside of their heritage would literally destroy their relationship with their parents.

Don't listen to people who obviously have different cultures and family structures, where acting like this would seem rather childish (no offense).

If you cannot stand the idea of living with your parents any longer, than Minnesota might be a great way to branch off in a way that would be both acceptable and honorable to them. Keep in mind though, that Minnesota as a state is 92% white, less than 4% Asian. However, if you could handle it, you might be better off living at home (may even help you stay focused) and going to GW where you career prospects would be markedly better.

User avatar
holybartender
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby holybartender » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:17 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
You don't have to be Azn to understand this. Fucking man up and deal with your shit. Jesus.



Way to be helpful, jackass.

Dear OP, I certainly understand where you are coming from. I have several Asian friends, most of whom have hidden relationships from their parents at one time or another because dating (at all for some) outside of their heritage would literally destroy their relationship with their parents.

Don't listen to people who obviously have different cultures and family structures, where acting like this would seem rather childish (no offense).

If you cannot stand the idea of living with your parents any longer, than Minnesota might be a great way to branch off in a way that would be both acceptable and honorable to them. Keep in mind though, that Minnesota as a state is 92% white, less than 4% Asian. However, if you could handle it, you might be better off living at home (may even help you stay focused) and going to GW where you career prospects would be markedly better.


Do you have support for your claim regarding employment? I'm inclined to think the opposite.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:21 pm

holybartender wrote:Do you have support for your claim regarding employment? I'm inclined to think the opposite.



Before I going digging for information, I want to clarify that I'm referring to GW in D.C. compared with Minnesota in D.C., especially since he knows people in the DC legal community. OP previously asked how he would fare coming back to DC with his MN degree. B

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:22 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:If you cannot stand the idea of living with your parents any longer, than Minnesota might be a great way to branch off in a way that would be both acceptable and honorable to them. Keep in mind though, that Minnesota as a state is 92% white, less than 4% Asian. However, if you could handle it, you might be better off living at home (may even help you stay focused) and going to GW where you career prospects would be markedly better.


I find that to be a good thing. I've made it my personal goal to live at least 4 hours by plane from my parents.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:28 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:If you cannot stand the idea of living with your parents any longer, than Minnesota might be a great way to branch off in a way that would be both acceptable and honorable to them. Keep in mind though, that Minnesota as a state is 92% white, less than 4% Asian. However, if you could handle it, you might be better off living at home (may even help you stay focused) and going to GW where you career prospects would be markedly better.


I find that to be a good thing. I've made it my personal goal to live at least 4 hours by plane from my parents.



My experience has been that there are two ways the Asian thing pans out:

1) child has no interest in maintaining such a strict family and ethnically oriented culture and breaks away

2) child enjoys spending time with people like him or herself, only dates within the culture, and desires to maintain strong family ties

Stereotype? Sure. But one of the better ones. Sounds like you are more the #1 and dusk2k2 is more the #2. My guess is being an Asian girl in a sea of white people is a bit easier than being an Asian guy in a sea of white people, professionally and romantically speaking. I'm not sure if you are a girl and dusk2k2 is a guy, however that would be my hypothesis.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:31 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:If you cannot stand the idea of living with your parents any longer, than Minnesota might be a great way to branch off in a way that would be both acceptable and honorable to them. Keep in mind though, that Minnesota as a state is 92% white, less than 4% Asian. However, if you could handle it, you might be better off living at home (may even help you stay focused) and going to GW where you career prospects would be markedly better.


I find that to be a good thing. I've made it my personal goal to live at least 4 hours by plane from my parents.



My experience has been that there are two ways the Asian thing pans out:

1) child has no interest in maintaining such a strict family and ethnically oriented culture and breaks away

2) child enjoys spending time with people like him or herself, only dates within the culture, and desires to maintain strong family ties

Stereotype? Sure. But one of the better ones. Sounds like you are more the #1 and dusk2k2 is more the #2. My guess is being an Asian girl in a sea of white people is a bit easier than being an Asian guy in a sea of white people, professionally and romantically speaking. I'm not sure if you are a girl and dusk2k2 is a guy, however that would be my hypothesis.


I'm a guy for the record. Having gone to school in northern California and undergrad in a city with a significant population of Asian people, I'm more than prepared to break away. I love my parents, but I need a break from the stifling Asian culture.
Last edited by motiontodismiss on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:33 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:I'm a guy for the record.


Doh!

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Is law school tougher in a new state?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:36 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:I'm a guy for the record.


Doh!



I mean...
Image




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Earlskies, JD_Kingfish and 6 guests