I could REALLY use some help! Any insight appreciated.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which would you do?

UC Davis
50
69%
UNLV
22
31%
 
Total votes: 72

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: I could REALLY use some help! Any insight appreciated.

Postby articulably suspect » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:05 pm

OP- How important does working in CA mean to you? Are you settled with PI?

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: I could REALLY use some help! Any insight appreciated.

Postby yo! » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:15 pm

.
Last edited by yo! on Fri May 11, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: I could REALLY use some help! Any insight appreciated.

Postby articulably suspect » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:54 pm

yo! wrote:
ejjones wrote:OP- How important does working in CA mean to you? Are you settled with PI?


It's a bit complicated. On one hand, I would like to try out Vegas for a few years, and I don't really mind working there for like 5 or so years after graduating. However, I would like to at least have the option to eventually return to CA when my wife and I have children. As far as my preference for PI goes, I can only say that I'm most interested in this type of law. What I do know for sure, is that I want to do something meaningful and interesting with my career. My goal isn't really to make a lot of money, but I want earn enough to do the normal American middle class things (ie: own a decent home, pay for my kids' college, have decent vehicles etc..). I like NorCal, and I've always wanted to go to Davis (at least since I thought about law school), but I don't know how I will handle owing that kind of money. It seems like something that will always be in the back of my mind.


First of all, if you’re worried about debt, IBR will help(even with your wife’s income, I believe), if you choose to go the PI route, so the debt isn’t quite as devastating as it seems, given the benefit of attending Davis and available debt relief.

It still might be very difficult to go from NV to CA after a few years of practice, unless you’ve made some connections, so I guess the question becomes: what if your plan to ‘just try out Vegas’ translates to, ‘well I guess I’m stuck here’? Did UNLV or any students there provide valuable insight in this regard, mobility to CA?

So, would you rather choose McGeorge(contingency scholarship) or attend Davis(sticker), thus increasing your opportunities of employment in CA or role the dice with UNLV and hope you can make it back to CA or enjoy living in NV, because you can’t go anywhere else?

All things being equal, which would you choose? Davis? Do the additional benefits of a Davis JD not outweigh the additional costs? If your focus were to shift from PI to the private sector, would it make more sense to have picked Davis over UNLV? You say that losing your scholarship would really make you hate yourself, for not choosing Davis, but really, in the grand scheme of things, does that even matter…how does that change the situation any? You’re still stuck in NV, with fewer options and less debt then you would have had if you had selected Davis.

FWIW, I don’t see how going to Davis(at sticker) will prevent you from achieving your ‘middle-class goals’.

jackdaw
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:43 pm

Re: I could REALLY use some help! Any insight appreciated.

Postby jackdaw » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:03 pm

if your ultimate goal is to end up in NorCal go to Davis, honestly, UNLV is a great school but b/c the majority of our graduates always intended on staying in Nevada we have no real alumni base outside of NV which can hurt unless you were a superstar law student. Even if you were like top 10% it would be a lot easier to go from Davis to work in NV than to go from UNLV to work in NorCal. Debt sucks but you've already chosen to go to law school so its a fact of life.

When I had my first real job prior to law school i decided to be practical and bought a car that wasn't what i wanted because i was worried about the debt/payments i was going to be making. I hated that car and rue the day I decided to be practical. Shoot for the stars, if your going to go into debt go big lol, you only get to go to law school once. you don't want to wake up every day for the rest of your life feeling like you settled for one school b/c of practical reasons. My car is paid off, I get to learn from my past mistakes and buy a car i want next time when it breaks down. You wont have that option with a law school education.

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: I could REALLY use some help! Any insight appreciated.

Postby yo! » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:16 pm

.
Last edited by yo! on Fri May 11, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: I could REALLY use some help! Any insight appreciated.

Postby articulably suspect » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:11 pm

yo! wrote:
ejjones wrote:
yo! wrote:
ejjones wrote:OP- How important does working in CA mean to you? Are you settled with PI?


It's a bit complicated. On one hand, I would like to try out Vegas for a few years, and I don't really mind working there for like 5 or so years after graduating. However, I would like to at least have the option to eventually return to CA when my wife and I have children. As far as my preference for PI goes, I can only say that I'm most interested in this type of law. What I do know for sure, is that I want to do something meaningful and interesting with my career. My goal isn't really to make a lot of money, but I want earn enough to do the normal American middle class things (ie: own a decent home, pay for my kids' college, have decent vehicles etc..). I like NorCal, and I've always wanted to go to Davis (at least since I thought about law school), but I don't know how I will handle owing that kind of money. It seems like something that will always be in the back of my mind.


First of all, if you’re worried about debt, IBR will help(even with your wife’s income, I believe), if you choose to go the PI route, so the debt isn’t quite as devastating as it seems, given the benefit of attending Davis and available debt relief.

It still might be very difficult to go from NV to CA after a few years of practice, unless you’ve made some connections, so I guess the question becomes: what if your plan to ‘just try out Vegas’ translates to, ‘well I guess I’m stuck here’? Did UNLV or any students there provide valuable insight in this regard, mobility to CA?

So, would you rather choose McGeorge(contingency scholarship) or attend Davis(sticker), thus increasing your opportunities of employment in CA or role the dice with UNLV and hope you can make it back to CA or enjoy living in NV, because you can’t go anywhere else?

All things being equal, which would you choose? Davis? Do the additional benefits of a Davis JD not outweigh the additional costs? If your focus were to shift from PI to the private sector, would it make more sense to have picked Davis over UNLV? You say that losing your scholarship would really make you hate yourself, for not choosing Davis, but really, in the grand scheme of things, does that even matter…how does that change the situation any? You’re still stuck in NV, with fewer options and less debt then you would have had if you had selected Davis.

FWIW, I don’t see how going to Davis(at sticker) will prevent you from achieving your ‘middle-class goals’.


First of all, thank you for your thoughtful responses, you raise some very legitimate questions. I will try my best to answer with a few important points:

1) I chose UNLV over McGeorge because of price. There is a HUGE difference in not renewing at UNLV vs, McG( esentially double). I don't think I would be devastated without UNLV renewal, I feel like I would still be in decent shape. If I didn't renew at McGeorge, things are considerably worse. I'm competing with Davis grads and my debt load isn't much lower than theirs. This would be horrific.

2) Living in NV permanently isn't all that bad. Worst case scenario, I find work in Reno/Carson City and am only a few hours from NorCal. I personally talked to the UNLV Dean about CA mobility and he said there were only about 100 alumni in CA (granted, the school has only graduated about 1200 people).

3) If my focus shifted to the private sector, Davis would certainly be great if I could get some kind of biglaw gig (counting on this seems worse than banking on scholarship renewals). If I end up working at some shitlaw firm, the debt totally isn't worth it.

I guess I just have a hard time convincing myself that 150K for a law degree is a solid investment. I guess I've been lurking at JDU for too long, their doom and gloom has certainly rubbed off on me. :?


For a T2ish school in CA, I think McGeorge actually might have it slightly better than its peer schools in CA for a few reasons”: (1) Due to the fact that it’s the capital and thus, has more legal jobs than similarly sized cities. (2) The only regional competition is Davis and many of their graduates seek employment elsewhere. (3) Not many graduates from higher ranked schools are flooding the Sacramento area with their applications, because Sacramento is not usually at the top of most individuals’ ‘most desired’ lists. Exactly how much would those two years at McGeorge cost you, if your scholarship wasn’t renewed vs UNLV(not renewed)?

Are you sure IBR would be of absolutely no help, due to your wife’s income? Seeing as you are interested in PI, you should nail down this IBR thing prior to making your decision. If you would still qualify for IBR, making your Davis debt manageable, eliminating debt after 10 yrs, giving you great PI opportunities in CA and living relatively comfortably in CA, that would be optimal, right?

If you really don’t mind living in NV permanently and are that freaked out about debt, despite IBR, maybe UNLV is the best fit for you.

FWIW, I don’t think paying sticker for a school like Davis(sticker) is insane or a one way ticket to a life of misery and shitlaw jobs, that’s a gross exaggeration.

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: I could REALLY use some help! Any insight appreciated.

Postby articulably suspect » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:11 pm

yo! wrote:
ejjones wrote:
yo! wrote:
ejjones wrote:OP- How important does working in CA mean to you? Are you settled with PI?


It's a bit complicated. On one hand, I would like to try out Vegas for a few years, and I don't really mind working there for like 5 or so years after graduating. However, I would like to at least have the option to eventually return to CA when my wife and I have children. As far as my preference for PI goes, I can only say that I'm most interested in this type of law. What I do know for sure, is that I want to do something meaningful and interesting with my career. My goal isn't really to make a lot of money, but I want earn enough to do the normal American middle class things (ie: own a decent home, pay for my kids' college, have decent vehicles etc..). I like NorCal, and I've always wanted to go to Davis (at least since I thought about law school), but I don't know how I will handle owing that kind of money. It seems like something that will always be in the back of my mind.


First of all, if you’re worried about debt, IBR will help(even with your wife’s income, I believe), if you choose to go the PI route, so the debt isn’t quite as devastating as it seems, given the benefit of attending Davis and available debt relief.

It still might be very difficult to go from NV to CA after a few years of practice, unless you’ve made some connections, so I guess the question becomes: what if your plan to ‘just try out Vegas’ translates to, ‘well I guess I’m stuck here’? Did UNLV or any students there provide valuable insight in this regard, mobility to CA?

So, would you rather choose McGeorge(contingency scholarship) or attend Davis(sticker), thus increasing your opportunities of employment in CA or role the dice with UNLV and hope you can make it back to CA or enjoy living in NV, because you can’t go anywhere else?

All things being equal, which would you choose? Davis? Do the additional benefits of a Davis JD not outweigh the additional costs? If your focus were to shift from PI to the private sector, would it make more sense to have picked Davis over UNLV? You say that losing your scholarship would really make you hate yourself, for not choosing Davis, but really, in the grand scheme of things, does that even matter…how does that change the situation any? You’re still stuck in NV, with fewer options and less debt then you would have had if you had selected Davis.

FWIW, I don’t see how going to Davis(at sticker) will prevent you from achieving your ‘middle-class goals’.


First of all, thank you for your thoughtful responses, you raise some very legitimate questions. I will try my best to answer with a few important points:

1) I chose UNLV over McGeorge because of price. There is a HUGE difference in not renewing at UNLV vs, McG( esentially double). I don't think I would be devastated without UNLV renewal, I feel like I would still be in decent shape. If I didn't renew at McGeorge, things are considerably worse. I'm competing with Davis grads and my debt load isn't much lower than theirs. This would be horrific.

2) Living in NV permanently isn't all that bad. Worst case scenario, I find work in Reno/Carson City and am only a few hours from NorCal. I personally talked to the UNLV Dean about CA mobility and he said there were only about 100 alumni in CA (granted, the school has only graduated about 1200 people).

3) If my focus shifted to the private sector, Davis would certainly be great if I could get some kind of biglaw gig (counting on this seems worse than banking on scholarship renewals). If I end up working at some shitlaw firm, the debt totally isn't worth it.

I guess I just have a hard time convincing myself that 150K for a law degree is a solid investment. I guess I've been lurking at JDU for too long, their doom and gloom has certainly rubbed off on me. :?


For a T2ish school in CA, I think McGeorge actually might have it slightly better than its peer schools in CA for a few reasons”: (1) Due to the fact that it’s the capital and thus, has more legal jobs than similarly sized cities. (2) The only regional competition is Davis and many of their graduates seek employment elsewhere. (3) Not many graduates from higher ranked schools are flooding the Sacramento area with their applications, because Sacramento is not usually at the top of most individuals’ ‘most desired’ lists. Exactly how much would those two years at McGeorge cost you, if your scholarship wasn’t renewed vs UNLV(not renewed)?

Are you sure IBR would be of absolutely no help, due to your wife’s income? Seeing as you are interested in PI, you should nail down this IBR thing prior to making your decision. If you would still qualify for IBR, making your Davis debt manageable, eliminating debt after 10 yrs, giving you great PI opportunities in CA and living relatively comfortably in CA, that would be optimal, right?

If you really don’t mind living in NV permanently and are that freaked out about debt, despite IBR, maybe UNLV is the best fit for you.

FWIW, I don’t think paying sticker for a school like Davis(sticker) is insane or a one way ticket to a life of misery and shitlaw jobs, that’s a gross exaggeration.

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: I could REALLY use some help! Any insight appreciated.

Postby articulably suspect » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:27 pm

UNLV 3L taking questions viewtopic.php?f=4&t=114530

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: I could REALLY use some help! Any insight appreciated.

Postby yo! » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:21 pm

.
Last edited by yo! on Fri May 11, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: I could REALLY use some help! Any insight appreciated.

Postby articulably suspect » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:03 am

That worked out pretty well for you. FWIW, I think you made the best choice. Good luck.

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: I could REALLY use some help! Any insight appreciated.

Postby yo! » Fri May 11, 2012 12:27 am

.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests