working during undergrad + internships = NU work experience? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dajja15

New

working during undergrad + internships = NU work experience?

Post by dajja15 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:28 pm

I worked throughout my entire undergraduate education. I worked at the library and doing scientific research/ grading. I also had an internship with the Air Force Research Laboratory and with a scientific collaboration (VERITAS). I have a low GPA so Northwestern will be one of the schools I am aiming for. I will graduate with my Masters next year. I was wondering if those things will count as work experience. What about getting the Masters?

Thanks!

jml8756

Bronze

Re: working during undergrad + internships = NU work experience?

Post by jml8756 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:04 pm

Nope. NU looks for real, post-grad, full time work experience, although not having that doesn't totally exclude you. I'm not sure about the Masters. It's probably a plus, but doesn't get counted in the work experience category.

dajja15

New

Post by dajja15 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:46 pm

yeah, that is what i figured. I wonder about a masters though. Or a fulbright scholarship.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:51 pm

dajja15 wrote:yeah, that is what i figured. I wonder about a masters though. Or a fulbright scholarship.
No for the masters, but I'm not 100% sure what a fulbright scholarship is. If you are working, yes. If you are studying no.

How bad is your GPA? I'm a NU 0L with a 2.8 so I sympathize.

I actually just got back from admitted student weekend and the law school is amazing.

dajja15

New

Post by dajja15 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dajja15 wrote:yeah, that is what i figured. I wonder about a masters though. Or a fulbright scholarship.
No for the masters, but I'm not 100% sure what a fulbright scholarship is. If you are working, yes. If you are studying no.

I actually just got back from admitted student weekend and the law school is amazing.
Mine is around a 2.7-2.8 right now. Hopefully a 3.0 when I graduate but who knows (doing concurrent undergrad/masters so my masters grades count for my LSAC but my program has huge grade deflation). I am an engineer so I may go work for a year after masters and then reapply. Congrats on getting in with a 2.8, any advice? Glad you liked the school, perhaps I will end up there one day!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bobo11111111111

New

Post by bobo11111111111 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:45 pm

How much full-time work experience is ideal for Northwestern?

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:51 pm

bobo11111111111 wrote:How much full-time work experience is ideal for Northwestern?
In my interview, they emphasized the fact that the majority of the previous class had 2+ years of WE.

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:52 pm

bobo11111111111 wrote:How much full-time work experience is ideal for Northwestern?
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/profile/

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:54 pm

dajja15 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Mine is around a 2.7-2.8 right now. Hopefully a 3.0 when I graduate but who knows (doing concurrent undergrad/masters so my masters grades count for my LSAC but my program has huge grade deflation). I am an engineer so I may go work for a year after masters and then reapply. Congrats on getting in with a 2.8, any advice? Glad you liked the school, perhaps I will end up there one day!
Yea I'm EE. I applied early decision with a LSAT above 172, and with two years W/E. Applying Early Decision was a huge help I think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:47 pm

I think NU really loves to brag that 98% of their class is 1+ year removed from undergraduate school. So, if someone is a straight-from-UG applicant, I think they can probably kiss NU goodbye unless they really have something going for them (full-ride numbers, for example).

That said, my own experience leads me to believe the WE thing is a numbers game and statistical advertising ploy. I don't have anything that would be considered real-world career-type work experience. I had a semi-prestigious internship in college and have always had a job of some kind, but nothing special. I graduated college in 2009, so I am right in the group of being 1 year removed from UG.

My numbers are borderline-to-solid at best for NU, but I got in despite being WL at every single peer school, despite being young, and despite being nothing like the stereotypical real-world NU admit (seriously, the first standard networking and mingling question this weekend was "What do you do?").

In other words, I believe that only being a current UG really hurts you at NU. As long as they can fit you into their 98% figure, they consider your resume as a soft to a comparable extent as all the other schools.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:55 pm

In other words, I think the OP has adequate "work experience" so as not to adversely affect his NU candidacy.

In terms of setting itself apart from other top schools, I think NU's interview program plays a larger role than the WE emphasis.

dajja15

New

Post by dajja15 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:02 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:In other words, I think the OP has adequate "work experience" so as not to adversely affect his NU candidacy.

In terms of setting itself apart from other top schools, I think NU's interview program plays a larger role than the WE emphasis.
Thanks for the information/opinion. I suppose it cannot hurt to apply and see.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”