When to Leave Job for School?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wadeny

When to Leave Job for School?

Postby wadeny » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:05 pm

Any other TLSers not coming directly out of undergrad in this situation? I absolutely hate my job and can't wait to leave, but I'm considering to stay around for a few more months until moving/starting a new lease in August. I'm kind of dreading the awkwardness of breaking the news to my supervisor since hardly anyone in my office ever goes to grad school, but at the same time, I could really care less.

Pearalegal

Re: When to Leave Job for School?

Postby Pearalegal » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:11 pm

Same boat, but less hate towards my job.

I'm leaving mid-July. Two to three weeks before I have to move, then about 2 to settle in before orientation.

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:25 pm

Pearalegal wrote:I'm leaving mid-July. Two to three weeks before I have to move, then about 2 to settle in before orientation.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing, but I'm a little concerned how to handle the whole "leaving suddenly" issue. Are you going to tell your boss well in advance or just give two weeks notice? While my supervisor is fairly nice, I'm a little worried I might be let go as soon as my office finds out that I'm leaving soon anyway.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:29 pm

wadeny wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:I'm leaving mid-July. Two to three weeks before I have to move, then about 2 to settle in before orientation.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing, but I'm a little concerned how to handle the whole "leaving suddenly" issue. Are you going to tell your boss well in advance or just give two weeks notice? While my supervisor is fairly nice, I'm a little worried I might be let go as soon as my office finds out that I'm leaving soon anyway.

I'm lucky because my job expects everyone in my position to leave for law school this summer.

However, when I've had friends leave more traditional jobs, they stuck to the four to two week notice rule and it was fine. Is there a company policy about departures you could look at?

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:36 pm

Pearalegal wrote:I'm lucky because my job expects everyone in my position to leave for law school this summer.

However, when I've had friends leave more traditional jobs, they stuck to the four to two week notice rule and it was fine. Is there a company policy about departures you could look at?

Yeah, that's really nice...I wish I had the same luxury. :) My workplace doesn't really have an "official" policy when it comes to situations like this, but I've heard of other people getting fired for wanting to go back to school. With the bad economy and a fresh batch of undergrads graduating in May/June applying for jobs, I don't see my supervisor being that desperate to keep me around...

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm

I was wondering about this question, too, but then my employer solved it for me when they found out I was leaving to go back to school and fired me. So that kind of simplified it.

As for notice, the accepted standard is two weeks. I've always had an issue with it, because it's not as if they will give you two weeks notice before firing you. But, so as to avoid burning bridges, it might be nice.

sawwaverunner

Postby sawwaverunner » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
wadeny wrote:

I'm lucky because my job expects everyone in my position to leave for law school this summer.

I don't understand the economics behind firing a trained worker on the spot when you give 2-4 weeks notice. They lose a good worker and obviously cannot find someone to replace you in less than 2 weeks anyhow. It just makes sense to use the 2-4 weeks to find someone else. Any boss that would fire you on the sport is a complete jerk.

Bert

Postby Bert » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:22 pm

I am in a leaving with less hate situation also. I've been working here as a paralegal in NYC for a few years and while I am ready to leave, I don't dread giving notice because I genuinely feel that the people I work with want me to move on and become an attorney.

My plan is to give notice around May 1, and to leave July 11, giving myself about a month to catch up on sleep, catch a couple Sox games at Fenway, relocate and get used to the new area. I am so looking forward to the first day of not having to come here.

As for giving notice, I would think you would know whats best for you. I am in a unique situation in that I am deeply involved in several intricate transactions and court cases, and I need to make sure that the firm hires somebody early so that I can get them up to speed before I leave, so I am giving the firm tons of notice so I don't feel bad. If you have the feeling that your place will try to screw you over, then wait. It doesn't sound like you want to go back after law school, so two weeks notice will be sufficient to (a) not burn bridges, and (b) keep your cash flow until the last possible second.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”