Taking a year off? What to do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dr. Strangelove

Taking a year off? What to do?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:58 pm

I'm a junior in undergrad and will be applying to law school next year. (Already registered for the June LSAT). I'm also taking the GMAT this summer to apply for Masters in Accounting programs. My GPA is kind of low right now and I'd be thrilled if it went up to 3.0 by the end of junior year.. (it's currently a 2.8.)
This probably sounds presumptuous and arrogant but I think I can get a perfect LSAT and a perfect GMAT. It'll just take practice and a little luck on the exam itself. (PTs have given me much optimism)

The more I think about law school, the more I want to do it. I'm a math major and I don't think my GPA really is reflective of how I'll do in law school. I do well in my more writing-intensive/humanitiesque classes and am really beginning to regret my choice of major. Not surprisingly, I've been rejected from research programs/internships and stuff like that..

Here are four possible plans I have.
1.) Go to law school right after college.. much of this is based on whether I get into a TLS or not.
Pros: On my way to becoming a lawyer, I know this is what I ultimately want to do with my life.

Cons: I might get into a better law school if I take time off- just because my GPA will likely be higher at that point.

2.) Go to a Masters of Accounting program and take the CPA exam and work for a public accounting firm for a year or two. (Accounting GPA is 4.0.)
Pros: Ending up with a fairly secure job. Big 4 firms care more about performance in accounting than "what masters program you went to?". People need accountants.

Cons: Wouldn't be able to apply to law school till two or three years after graduation.. unless I want the Masters degree to be nothing and to be in more debt. Is accounting right for me?

3.) Work as a real estate agent.
Pros: I'm on my way to getting a license. (This is my summer 'internship'.) I have "salesperson skills". If I'm fortunate, I can make a good amount of money doing this.

Cons: Selling houses isn't easy in this economy. It could be a year of me mostly sitting around doing nothing.

4.) Selling bikes
Pros: I could work full-time. There isn't too much pressure and I think law schools consider this to be "work experience".

Cons:Not much job security and it's something I could have done in high school.

Anyone have any other ideas of what I could do?

Right now, I'm setting myself up for going to law school after college but want to prepare for failure. Anyone else have any ideas of what I could do right out of college? Just to let you know, my GPA kind of limits my options...

Also, if people ask about my GPA.. should I have SAT/LSAT/GMAT scores ready? :twisted:

whitman

Re: Taking a year off? What to do?

Postby whitman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:45 pm

If I were you, I would sell bikes. However, I am a cycling nut so I have a personal bias there. Assuming you like bikes (you do mean bicycles, right?), it would be interesting, you could make money, it would be low stress, you could make sure to crush the LSAT and GMAT, and I assume it would be the sort of job where you could easily quit early and travel around if you desired. If you are certain you want to go to law school, I wouldn't go the accounting route. You'll likely be bored. And who wants to be a real estate agent? Also, since your GPA is sub-3.0, every tick higher will help. I wouldn't go straight out of undergrad.

motiontodismiss

Re: Taking a year off? What to do?

Postby motiontodismiss » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:49 pm

Try getting a job as an RE agent representing buyers or representing short sellers or selling foreclosures. Depending on what market you're talking about, it's a huge buyer's market full of short sales and foreclosures so I think you could make good money.

However short sales are a pain in the ass because you have to deal with the sellers and the bank.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”