What is the most LORs youve seen a school ask for?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OmbreGracieuse

What is the most LORs youve seen a school ask for?

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:44 am

I am currently getting my LORs together... what is the largest amount of LORs you have ever seen a school ask for? What school was it?

dp73816

Re: What is the most LORs youve seen a school ask for?

Postby dp73816 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:53 am

Usually only 3 or 4 max, and I would say that there is not any school out there that actually demands more than that; they all pretty much fall in between the 2-4 required LOR range. I could be wrong, though...there always seems to be an exception out there.

I would get the 3-4 letters (academic) in hand before applying, and then maybe think about getting some more at a later date to use on WL's, etc. These can be pretty much whatever you want; I used my thesis adviser and the attorney I work for this spring, for example.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:20 am

dp73816 wrote:Usually only 3 or 4 max, and I would say that there is not any school out there that actually demands more than that; they all pretty much fall in between the 2-4 required LOR range. I could be wrong, though...there always seems to be an exception out there.

I would get the 3-4 letters (academic) in hand before applying, and then maybe think about getting some more at a later date to use on WL's, etc. These can be pretty much whatever you want; I used my thesis adviser and the attorney I work for this spring, for example.

I don't know how many from where to get, oddly enough. I went and got a 2 year degree, before transferring to my 4-year for my BA, so I've got a split UG. I have also worked for what feels like EVER (I've been working since I was 16), and so I have a LOR (or two) from there; I've been working at a Center for the Homeless for what'll be going on 3 years when I apply. I mention it in my PS, so should I get one from there? I also don't do a lot of academic extracirriculars, because most of that is spent helping one of our local churches get on its feet (I do grant writing for them- they are trying to expand a church with a soup kitchen, a drop in center, and a halfway house). She has offered to write me one as well.

I know most schools look for 2-4; when you submit in just 2, where do you submit from?! I (honest to goodness) have been offered LORs from most peopple I've taken classes with, worked with, and volunteered with. I counted out the other day how many people were willing, or would do it if I asked (like my academic director, for example), and came out with 13. That isn't to say I'm trying to brag or call attention to myself, but how do you narrow it down from there? Any suggestions?

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:31 am

OmbreGracieuse wrote:
dp73816 wrote:Usually only 3 or 4 max, and I would say that there is not any school out there that actually demands more than that; they all pretty much fall in between the 2-4 required LOR range. I could be wrong, though...there always seems to be an exception out there.

I don't know how many from where to get, oddly enough. I went and got a 2 year degree, before transferring to my 4-year for my BA, so I've got a split UG. I have also worked for what feels like EVER (I've been working since I was 16), and so I have a LOR (or two) from there; I've been working at a Center for the Homeless for what'll be going on 3 years when I apply. I mention it in my PS, so should I get one from there? I also don't do a lot of academic extracirriculars, because most of that is spent helping one of our local churches get on its feet (I do grant writing for them- they are trying to expand a church with a soup kitchen, a drop in center, and a halfway house). She has offered to write me one as well.

I know most schools look for 2-4; when you submit in just 2, where do you submit from?! I (honest to goodness) have been offered LORs from most peopple I've taken classes with, worked with, and volunteered with. I counted out the other day how many people were willing, or would do it if I asked (like my academic director, for example), and came out with 13. That isn't to say I'm trying to brag or call attention to myself, but how do you narrow it down from there? Any suggestions?

Usually the applications will indicate a preference toward LORs from those most familiar with your academic abilities. Four is the most you can submit through LSAC. Some schools will allow a maximum of two or three. When you complete the applications, you will be able to tell because the system will not allow any more than the particular school's set maximum to be attached.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”