Take LSAT in June or October for Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lmperri

Take LSAT in June or October for Admissions

Postby lmperri » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:38 am

So I know that applying as early as possible definitely helps in gaining admission as well as possible scholarships, however, I was looking for peoples opinion as to the following scenario...

Should I take the LSAT in June so that I am able to apply as soon as apps role out or...do I wait and take the LSAT in October (having all of the other application material ready) and apply as soon as I get my scores. The main reason I am pushing for October is I work full-time and the next two months are going to be very busy with a project at work so my study time will be slightly limited versus having the ability to study from now until October. Will the two montn difference in application really make a big difference?

For more info, I am trying to shoot for Rutgers-Newark + Scholarship $$ with my 3.1 GPA and hopefully 165 LSAT (I am practicing at a 160-170 range). Thoughts???

OmbreGracieuse

Re: Take LSAT in June or October for Admissions

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:46 am

lmperri wrote:So I know that applying as early as possible definitely helps in gaining admission as well as possible scholarships, however, I was looking for peoples opinion as to the following scenario...

Should I take the LSAT in June so that I am able to apply as soon as apps role out or...do I wait and take the LSAT in October (having all of the other application material ready) and apply as soon as I get my scores. The main reason I am pushing for October is I work full-time and the next two months are going to be very busy with a project at work so my study time will be slightly limited versus having the ability to study from now until October. Will the two montn difference in application really make a big difference?

For more info, I am trying to shoot for Rutgers-Newark + Scholarship $$ with my 3.1 GPA and hopefully 165 LSAT (I am practicing at a 160-170 range). Thoughts???

Other people on TLS have suggested that one month CAN and DOES make a difference. Then again, it might be better to have waited until October if you think you will do substantially better.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:27 am

IF, and that's a big if, you can have your application materials ready on the day the LSAT scores come out, October LSAT is fine. The problem is that you have no idea how long getting your applications together could take. It took me over two months to have a good personal statement. Assuming your PS and whatever optional essays you want to submit (LSAT addendum) take more than three weeks, you'll either have to delay submmition or start them while you are also studying for the LSAT. If you're already having trouble finding time to study, that just makes everything harder.

Also taking it in June allows you to re-take in October if you're not pleased with your score. Your chances will be hurt if you your october score is less than desireable and you have retake in december.

mugwump

Postby mugwump » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:28 am

I took the LSAT in October 09...and regret that I did not take it in June 09. My score was lower than I wanted but I wanted to apply as early as possible. So, i ran with the October score. I've been accepted at a number of good schools (OSU and Wisconsin are my top rated schools) and waitlisted at several T30 schools (Penn and Columbia being the best). If I were to redo my cycle, I would have taken the LSAT in June, giving myself the October test date, should I have decided to retake it.

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:10 pm

As one poster mentioned, the main benefit of taking the June LSAT is having the option to retake in October. Originally, I took the June LSAT with the possibility of a retake being nonexistent - until I got my score back. So I will say that I was lucky to have another shot in October. Otherwise I don't think my cycle would have been as good. If you do shoot for October, make sure to have all your apps ready to go and lined up on LSAC so all you have to do is submit and pay when you do get your LSAT score. good luck!

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Take the June LSAT. If you don't meet or exceed your PT scores, then you'll still have another shot in October. Most people supposedly improve at least a point or two on the second try.

On the other hand, if you do October and need to retake, a December test score will be too late in the game.

Bert

Postby Bert » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:23 pm

If you think you will score better in October, then wait until October. Don't rush to the take June test so you have the option to re-take in October. The goal is to take the test only once.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”