Auditing a law school class in undergrad?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dr. Strangelove

Auditing a law school class in undergrad?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:41 pm

I've received permission to audit a law school class (Civil Procedure) for next fall.
I think it will be useful because it will allow me to gauge whether law school is right for me or not.
I'm also curious as to whether law schools would view this as a good soft factor or not.

clintonius

Re: Auditing a law school class in undergrad?

Postby clintonius » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:49 pm

To gauge whether law school is right for you, probably not a terrible idea. A good soft, probably not. At least not enough to alter your admissions prospects in the slightest.

inthefuture

Postby inthefuture » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:51 pm

If you do enroll in law school, would those credits be transferred?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:54 pm

Not sure how legit it is as a soft factor, other than a tangible show of interest. Just as a side note, don't panic if CivPro doesn't thrill you (i.e., confirm all your expectations about wanting to be a lawyer). CivPro's kind of a grind.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:02 pm

inthefuture wrote:If you do enroll in law school, would those credits be transferred?

No, I'm only allowed to audit.

I'm still excited to take the class even if it isn't a soft factor and even if CivPro doesn't turn out to actually be fun at all...

rando

Postby rando » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:09 pm

how are you going to be graded? Be prepared to work harder than your other undergrad classes

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:11 pm

rando wrote:how are you going to be graded?
Dr. Strangelove wrote:I've received permission to audit a law school class (Civil Procedure) for next fall.
Dr. Strangelove wrote:I'm only allowed to audit.
Dr. Strangelove wrote:audit

rando

Postby rando » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:15 pm

clintonius wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:I've received permission to audit a law school class (Civil Procedure) for next fall.

I'm assuming from that asinine post that all audit classes are ungraded. Thank you for informing me, sort of.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Somewhat unusual for an undergraduate to be allowed/invited to audit a civil procedure class. Constitutional Law or Torts are the more typical options for undergrads. Did you request to audit this specific law school course?
With respect to your question as to whether or not auditing a law school class will be a signifigant soft factor for admissions, the best answer is no, but it could be depending upon the particular law school & depending upon your presentation regarding this experience.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:19 pm

rando wrote:
clintonius wrote:

I'm assuming from that asinine post that all audit classes are ungraded. Thank you for informing me, sort of.

Yes to audit a class means you get to do everything involved with the class (including pay for it) except recieve a grade on your transcript (you also don't get credit).

rando

Postby rando » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:21 pm

Panther7 wrote:

Yes to audit a class means you get to do everything involved with the class (including pay for it) except recieve a grade on your transcript (you also don't get credit).

My god, I am sheltered. I thought it just meant to take a course outside of your school. So basically you just get instructor permission to sit in on lectures. Does the prof even grade your exam?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:23 pm

I think it depends on the prof and his/her willingness to take on extra work, but generally you just listen and take notes as you see fit for your own edification -- no test-taking or assignments.

rando

Postby rando » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:25 pm

clintonius wrote:I think it depends on the prof and his/her willingness to take on extra work, but generally you just listen and take notes as you see fit for your own edification -- no test-taking or assignments.

Hmm. Doesn't seem like a big deal to get permission then. interesting. Props to UG who takes the time to do it. Don't work too hard!

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:29 pm

I think the big question is whether the prof would grade your exam, because that's the only potentially useful thing you could gain from it. The one thing you do not get properly taught in law school is how to take a law school exam, and yet this has a huge impact on your grades. People who properly study how to take the exams tend to do much better than their classmates who've studied the actual course material just as hard. If during this audit you'd get the experience of taking an exam and finding out how well you did, and/or discussing your experience with the prof afterward, it might be worth it.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:46 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I think the big question is whether the prof would grade your exam, because that's the only potentially useful thing you could gain from it. The one thing you do not get properly taught in law school is how to take a law school exam, and yet this has a huge impact on your grades. People who properly study how to take the exams tend to do much better than their classmates who've studied the actual course material just as hard. If during this audit you'd get the experience of taking an exam and finding out how well you did, and/or discussing your experience with the prof afterward, it might be worth it.

I agree, but even if he/she is allowed to sit for the exam and not get a grade, it might still be worthwhile just for that experience.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”