Graduating early isn't so great.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
inthefuture
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Graduating early isn't so great.

Postby inthefuture » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:38 pm

So, I am graduating UG one semester early- this upcoming Fall.

Considering that I cannot enroll in law school in Spring semester ( I cannot even enroll in the MA program I wanted to), does anyone have any reasonable suggestions as to what I should do until law school?

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Graduating early isn't so great.

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm graduating one year early, it's great, just as long as you don't get caught in between
Last edited by Mickey Quicknumbers on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Columbia Law
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Graduating early isn't so great.

Postby Columbia Law » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:39 pm

You don't want to meet girls?

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Graduating early isn't so great.

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:40 pm

Im graduating a semester early too.. my plan is to get a job and save money..

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Graduating early isn't so great.

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:42 pm

inthefuture wrote:So, I am graduating UG one semester early- this upcoming Fall.

Considering that I cannot enroll in law school in Spring semester ( I cannot even enroll in the MA program I wanted to), does anyone have any reasonable suggestions as to what I should do until law school?


Don't worry about doing anything that will "pad your resume" between graduation and law school; it won't matter at that point. Just do something that you will enjoy/remember fondly while studying for law school finals/won't break the bank.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Graduating early isn't so great.

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:43 pm

1) Work. Work experience is good. You look better to future employers if you have had some kind of real-work experience. Just find something that pays money and makes you follow someone else's rules of employment. Something that pays your living expenses fully is ideal, of course.

2) If you can't find a job, volunteer. Go do work for Habitat for Humanity or a local soup kitchen or something. You can even start volunteering there part-time now (so you can put it on your law school app) and then start doing it full time next spring. This will be something great to have on your resume when you're searching for 1L jobs, especially since ITE most 1L jobs are going to be PI-related and they'll love that commitment to public service.

inthefuture
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: Graduating early isn't so great.

Postby inthefuture » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:48 pm

I am currently interning at a DA's office. should I just continue this til law school? or would I be able to find something better/more appealing for law schools.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Graduating early isn't so great.

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:50 pm

inthefuture wrote:I am currently interning at a DA's office. should I just continue this til law school? or would I be able to find something better/more appealing for law schools.

Dude, that's pretty damn appealing. Keep that up, unless you've got something better. It'll also let you network and meet people who might be able to give you internships or jobs in the future.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Graduating early isn't so great.

Postby MrKappus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:50 pm

inthefuture wrote:I am currently interning at a DA's office. should I just continue this til law school? or would I be able to find something better/more appealing for law schools.


That's definitely a worthwhile thing to do. And congrats on graduating early. You get WE softs w/o having to take the year off.

inthefuture
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: Graduating early isn't so great.

Postby inthefuture » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:07 pm

what are some examples of meaningful work experiences/volunteer jobs, one can do for only 6-7 months?

inthefuture
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: Graduating early isn't so great.

Postby inthefuture » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:11 pm

and thank you, but even though I have graduated a semester earlier, I still have to wait til following Fall..

User avatar
JuTMSY4
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Graduating early isn't so great.

Postby JuTMSY4 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:13 pm

vanwinkle wrote:1) Work. Work experience is good. You look better to future employers if you have had some kind of real-work experience. Just find something that pays money and makes you follow someone else's rules of employment. Something that pays your living expenses fully is ideal, of course.

2) If you can't find a job, volunteer. Go do work for Habitat for Humanity or a local soup kitchen or something. You can even start volunteering there part-time now (so you can put it on your law school app) and then start doing it full time next spring. This will be something great to have on your resume when you're searching for 1L jobs, especially since ITE most 1L jobs are going to be PI-related and they'll love that commitment to public service.


TITCR

But in general, just think about the UG debt (or COL) you won't be accruing. Had I known I was going to go to Law School before UG, I would have taken this approach.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Graduating early isn't so great.

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:24 pm

inthefuture wrote:what are some examples of meaningful work experiences/volunteer jobs, one can do for only 6-7 months?

In terms of volunteer work, interning for a DA is about as good as it gets for a future lawyer. You're not only showing a commitment to public service but also developing actual exposure to the law and what legal employment is really like.

In terms of work experience, almost anything counts. The idea is just to separate yourself from folks who've never held a job before by having one on your resume. However, if you can't find a paying job, the internship you're doing this will also help in that regard because it's still something that involves real-world experience outside of the classroom.

nyckid
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Graduating early isn't so great.

Postby nyckid » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:27 pm

My cousin moved to Vail and worked for ski patrol during the day and as a bartender at night and had the best time of his life.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Graduating early isn't so great.

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:30 pm

nyckid wrote:My cousin moved to Vail and worked for ski patrol during the day and as a bartender at night and had the best time of his life.


Stop worrying so much about silly things and do something like this.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], carlos_danger, jtawil, mrtux45, nicolexyn and 6 guests