International and possibly dangerous job before LS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

International and possibly dangerous job before LS?

Postby 20121109 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:24 pm

I managed to secure a job in the UN with a Nigerian diplomat. The pay is pretty good at 18/hr, and it seems like a great way to acquire unique work experience. The only thing is the job involves traveling to Northern Nigeria and visiting villages like Jos in order to help with the ongoing peace effort. If anyone hasn't heard, there was a recent massacre in that area of the country (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/10/world ... geria.html) and even with military presence, the place is hardly considered safe.

Its a two-year commitment and if I decide to accept the offer, I will be starting law school in Fall 2012, instead of Fall 2011. I figure it will be a great way to add to my resume and will make for a great diversity statement. I have pretty stellar numbers (link to my LSN is in my profile) but my softs are severely lacking.

Do you think that the safety risk is worth the experience? Or should I just send in my apps in September?

Oblomov

Re: International and possibly dangerous job before LS?

Postby Oblomov » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Last edited by Oblomov on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:30 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Do you think that the safety risk is worth the experience? Or should I just send in my apps in September?

This sounds like an awesome opportunity. I know little about you or your law school/life aspirations, but if it were me I would definitely do it.

But if you're ONLY doing it to improve your softs, don't do it. It will make little difference in your cycle, and you'll never be able to get back those two years of your life.

tru

Postby tru » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:33 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xptboy

Postby Xptboy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:36 pm

You'll be working for the UN... I've lived in Ethiopia, Kenya, Vietnam and India (and more countries that aren't considered dangerous). You have nothing to worry about as long as you stay in the correct areas which you will since you're working with a diplomat... I know this because my dad was also a diplomat which is why I've lived in so many countries (he's lived in nigeria too btw before I was born).

I'd probably take the job not just because you lack softs but because it'll be good experience, it will look good on your resume, you're not wasting time, you're making money, you'll have good memories and lots of stories to tell and you will most likely learn lots of things, and get a more realistic view of the world and how it opearates.

EDIT: +1 to what the above guy just said.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:37 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Do you think that the safety risk is worth the experience? Or should I just send in my apps in September?

This sounds like an awesome opportunity. I know little about you or your law school/life aspirations, but if it were me I would definitely do it.

But if you're ONLY doing it to improve your softs, don't do it. It will make little difference in your cycle, and you'll never be able to get back those two years of your life.

You need to pay this guy for the advice he just gave you.

lol. Sarcasm credited; I'm going to make a great law student: "Well, professor, it depends..."

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:42 pm

It probably isn't a good idea if you just want a line on your resume, people who do work like that for this reason are usually worthless in their working capacity and are miserable. Its a great idea if you actually want to go out and help people, and have a desire to see how a good portion of the global population lives. Working in poor and violent areas really imparts a new perspective on life, especially in regard to how lucky we are to have been born in the US (granted this is a blanket statement, and there are exceptions, but most of us are pretty well off compared to others).

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:42 pm

8)
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:50 pm

If you're a 3.9/172 URM I don't think you need to worry about softs unless you you have big plans involving Yale. I would still take the job because that sounds awesome. If you agree, you should go for it. If it seems "meh" to you (I don't know how it could :P) then find something better to do before HS and maybe Y.

Postby 20121109 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:It probably isn't a good idea if you just want a line on your resume, people who do work like that for this reason are usually worthless in their working capacity and are miserable. Its a great idea if you actually want to go out and help people, and have a desire to see how a good portion of the global population lives. Working in poor and violent areas really imparts a new perspective on life, especially in regard to how lucky we are to have been born in the US (granted this is a blanket statement, and there are exceptions, but most of us are pretty well off compared to others).

I was actually born and raised in London, England and I've been to Nigeria twice before. Though I was only a child when I went, the wide-ranging poverty really struck a chord with me. I mean, little kids were following me through the village and asking for money just because they thought I looked "rich". I really do care about making a difference in poor areas, but I'm also very anxious to get to school and just start my career as a lawyer.

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:this is easy, what do you want more?

I'm not sure :? Maybe taking this job will help me wait out this shitstorm of an economy...but both options are equally appealing.

Thanks for all the replies so far, guys. I really appreciate it.
Last edited by 20121109 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebunk

Postby thebunk » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:52 pm

good advice above.

as far as your personal safety is concerned, keep in mind that outside of a select few conflict zones, rebels/revolutionaries/badmen have no interest in earning the type of international condemnation that accompanies hurting or killing foreign UN employees and dignitaries. in most cases, individuals actually go out of their way to avoid such situations. i'm no expert, but it seems to me that the continued instability and conflict in Nigeria is local and confined, and targets of violence are chosen accordingly. as a foreigner with a blue passport, you'll be left alone provided that the Nigerian diplomat you work for isn't personally connected and invested with either group on a deep level.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:59 pm

Talk to your future boss or (even better) someone currently in the position you've been offered, and ask them what the day-to-day is like. Ask what you'll be doing and think about whether or not those things excite you. Worry less about how this will look on your applications and more about your level of personal investment. International travel is no joke, in terms of homesickness, adjustment, and culture shock.

Also consider what sort of a difference you will actually be making in this position. If it turns out that you have to bust your ass 12-18 hours a day and wind up effecting very little change, will you be disappointed to the point of regret?

I ask these questions not to be a downer, but to get you to assess your options honestly. I made a choice to join a particular program after undergrad, and ultimately, I regretted that decision. Luckily I was able to back out of it. It seems to me you might have a more difficult time doing that here.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:12 am

I would do the job because it sounds like an amazing opportunity that will give you a sense of perspective that will benefit you for the rest of your life.

I also think that it is the kind of soft that actually means something... it's a helluva lot more impressive than being the president of some student org or copying papers for a congressman. It is the sort of experience that actually changes your outlook on life and gives you something meaningful to contribute to the student body... which is what i believe schools are looking for.

However... I would not do it if the only reason is to pad your application. I think it is a meaningful soft (which is a rare thing) but I don't think any soft is worth two years of your life unless you genuinely want to do it.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:26 am

DO IT!....no doubt about it. Great experience, completely new perspective and you get paid (not a lot but a decent $ for the adventure/challenge)
....Plus this soft could help you at a Yale/Stanford/Harvard or improve your chances of getting a better named scholarship from a T14

thisguy456

Postby thisguy456 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:53 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Mr. Pablo wrote:It probably isn't a good idea if you just want a line on your resume, people who do work like that for this reason are usually worthless in their working capacity and are miserable. Its a great idea if you actually want to go out and help people, and have a desire to see how a good portion of the global population lives. Working in poor and violent areas really imparts a new perspective on life, especially in regard to how lucky we are to have been born in the US (granted this is a blanket statement, and there are exceptions, but most of us are pretty well off compared to others).

I was actually born and raised in London, England and I've been to Nigeria twice before. Though I was only a child when I went, the wide-ranging poverty really struck a chord with me. I mean, little kids were following me through the village and asking for money just because they thought I looked "rich". I really do care about making a difference in poor areas, but I'm also very anxious to get to school and just start my career as a lawyer.

I'm not sure :? Maybe taking this job will help me wait out this shitstorm of an economy...but both options are equally appealing.

Yep, the job sure does sound cool. Probably will look good on a resume. Us in our stale offices would love a job like that. But will you LIKE living in Nigeria for two years? Will you be happy?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:58 am

thisguy456 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:

Yep, the job sure does sound cool. Probably will look good on a resume. Us in our stale offices would love a job like that. But will you LIKE living in Nigeria for two years? Will you be happy?

Won't be living there, but making routine 2 week visits every 6 months or so. I wasn't particularly fond of the country when I went as a child, but I'm sure that perspective will probably change due to maturity.

Thanks again for the responses, guys!!

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:04 am

The job sounds amazing, but HYS or C sound even better (which seems likely based on your stats/status). It's not like you couldn't have a similar opportunity after/during the JD if that's what you decided you want to do and if you're ready to start now, now's the time you should start.

expat17

Postby expat17 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”