What is one thing you wish someone would have told you?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OmbreGracieuse

Re: What is one thing you wish someone would have told you?

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:15 pm

Z3RO wrote:I wish somebody had told me to apply to Northwestern. I sort of made excuses for why I didn't want to, and I probably would have been accepted. Then I'd be taking classes with DF rather than rewriting my PS next fall...

DF? Why didn't you apply to Northwestern?

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:This is perhaps some of the worst advice I've ever heard on TLS. So you think taking a year off and going from 160 to 170 would not have RADICALLY life-altering consequences? I got a 6 point increase (162-168) and got into schools that I would have never imagined a year ago. And if I had someone guessed right on one more question on the LSAT, I'd be looking at a T10 acceptance or two.

And second of all, since when does "retake"="take a year off?" If you are smart and take the June LSAT, you have plenty of time to resume your studies and re-take in September or December.

You and I must be on the same page. I plan to take the LSATs in June for 2 reasons: 1. if I like my score I will be an early applicant, and 2. if I don't like my scores I can always retake the test in October and still have breathing room to apply. :)

Congrats on the +6 points!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:21 pm

I wish someone had told me to take a few years off to save money, get work experience, and network. I am very excited to be starting LS in the fall, but I do think it would be nice to have some money in the bank. I would have had a decent shot at a great job through a guy I know (high-5 figure starting salary), but I was so committed to the idea of law school that I didn't consider it. Plus, the work experience would have made Northwestern possible (although still a reach), and Northwestern was my dream school for years.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:25 pm

romothesavior wrote:I wish someone had told me to take a few years off to save money, get work experience, and network. I am very excited to be starting LS in the fall, but I do think it would be nice to have some money in the bank. I would have had a decent shot at a great job through a guy I know (high-5 figure starting salary), but I was so committed to the idea of law school that I didn't consider it. Plus, the work experience would have made Northwestern possible (although still a reach), and Northwestern was my dream school for years.

Where did you decide to go? Why not still take the time off? Is there a transfer possibility with North Western?

I am taking a year off myself, and am grateful to have a year with my daughter before more school.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:This is perhaps some of the worst advice I've ever heard on TLS. So you think taking a year off and going from 160 to 170 would not have RADICALLY life-altering consequences?

Wow...way to freak out.

All I am saying is don't postpone law school indefinitely in pursuit of a holy grail-like LSAT score.

But hey...I lack the qualities that allow you to speak with such authority on what does and doesn't radically alter lives, b/c I'm not a 0L, and I do have WE. Enjoy law school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:38 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I wish someone had told me to take a few years off to save money, get work experience, and network. I am very excited to be starting LS in the fall, but I do think it would be nice to have some money in the bank. I would have had a decent shot at a great job through a guy I know (high-5 figure starting salary), but I was so committed to the idea of law school that I didn't consider it. Plus, the work experience would have made Northwestern possible (although still a reach), and Northwestern was my dream school for years.

Where did you decide to go? Why not still take the time off? Is there a transfer possibility with North Western?

I am taking a year off myself, and am grateful to have a year with my daughter before more school.

I feel like taking time off at this point would be unwise because I don't have anything substantive or meaningful lined up. I'm young, unmarried, and not tied down, so I don't see any reason at this point to wait. And yes, transfer is a possibility, but obviously only with fantastic grades. And I would only consider a transfer to HY(maybe S) and U of Chicago.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:41 pm

cendien wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:Hold on.....let me edit the wrong out of that

MrKappus wrote:[strike]Only retake the LSAT if your actual was 15-20 pts off your PT's. Waiting another year to go up 4 points...not worth it.[/strike]

ok, continue.

God you're dum.

Wrong. I'd definitely wait a year if I though I'd go up 4 points. But I kinda squandered my three attempts already. Maybe it depends on what your initial score is. If you got a 130, 4 points ain't gonna help. I'd love a 4 point boost on my 168 though. That'd make all the difference in the world.
+1...168 and 3.8 = 50/50 shot at T10; 172 and 3.8 = T6 Locked.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:49 pm

najumobi wrote:
Wrong. I'd definitely wait a year if I though I'd go up 4 points. But I kinda squandered my three attempts already. Maybe it depends on what your initial score is. If you got a 130, 4 points ain't gonna help. I'd love a 4 point boost on my 168 though. That'd make all the difference in the world.
+1...168 and 3.8 = 50/50 shot at T10; 172 and 3.8 = T6 Locked.[/quote]

You really think so?

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:51 pm

I wish someone had told me to fill out my financial aid information and scholarship applications earlier.

Jeff Mangum

Postby Jeff Mangum » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:13 am

Even if you are completely satisfied with your cycle, retake the LSAT for more scholarship money, if you can still take the Feb exam.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:12 am

OmbreGracieuse wrote:I don't think I am an URM. I am considered a Native-Hawaiian Pacific Islander, but there's debate on TLS as to whether that actually qualifies as being an URM. Do you think going "Early Decision" can help? Would it help my odds at say... at T14 school? Moreso than at a T30?

If you are part hawaiian then you might be URM. Certainly if the Akaka Bill passes this year you will have a tribal status governed by the Bureau of Indian Affairs so you will definately check the box for American Indian/Native American. Anyway, the definition of native american is not set in stone. People who's grandmother was 1/4 Cherokee could count. If Alaskan natives count so should Hawaiians, right? Who knows? Check the box and write a diversity statement. Also, call the Office of Hawaiian affairs. They offer free LSAT prep courses for Hawaiians.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:25 am

Take the money.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:40 am

MURPH wrote: If you are part hawaiian then you might be URM. Certainly if the Akaka Bill passes this year you will have a tribal status governed by the Bureau of Indian Affairs so you will definately check the box for American Indian/Native American. Anyway, the definition of native american is not set in stone. People who's grandmother was 1/4 Cherokee could count. If Alaskan natives count so should Hawaiians, right? Who knows? Check the box and write a diversity statement. Also, call the Office of Hawaiian affairs. They offer free LSAT prep courses for Hawaiians.

I appreciate this immensely. I did a happy dance right here in my chair (I kid you not!). I think you may have just dramatically lowered my law school tuition. ^_^

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:42 am

A few things:

- Take whatever kind of major you want in UG - it really does not matter what you do to law schools, as long as you do it well (I wouldn't have been a PS major...)

- After a certain point in studying for the LSAT, its more about relaxing and taking some pressure off of yourself...the main reason my score was so off my PT's.

- Talked to more schools' admissions officers before applying, to learn how much/ how little athletics count to each of my favorites (really does depend on the school).

- Gotten off my lazy ass and gotten the paperwork in order to apply for membership with the Cherokee nation, thereby establishing URM status

- Taken up the t-14's on their waivers and applied to more reach schools

...But, I am going to take the money, so there is at least one thing I am listening to others on 8)

dprendergast1

Postby dprendergast1 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:35 am

QUICK QUESTION:

I keep hearing people say they should've applied early, when is the absolute EARLIEST you can send in an application for the 2010-2011 cycle?

Im taking the test in June, will then work on apps/study more casually, have apps ready to go by Oct, and then retake the Lsat in October. Then I plan to have both scores sent out. When can I start sending? Also, how long before I am able to get October scores?

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:48 am

dprendergast1 wrote:QUICK QUESTION:

I keep hearing people say they should've applied early, when is the absolute EARLIEST you can send in an application for the 2010-2011 cycle?

Im taking the test in June, will then work on apps/study more casually, have apps ready to go by Oct, and then retake the Lsat in October. Then I plan to have both scores sent out. When can I start sending? Also, how long before I am able to get October scores?

I want to say almost all applications become available before October 1, most sometime in early September and a few in August.

I'm no LSAT expert, but why would you plan on taking the test twice? If you don't feel like you will be ready in June, just wait until the October test. One okay score and one awesome score is not better than just taking it once and getting a kick-ass score the first time. Some schools will average, so I wouldn't take the exam until I felt 100% prepared for it.

dprendergast1

Postby dprendergast1 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:12 am

I would have put in 3 months of studying by June's test, so I do assume I will be ready. However, no matter how well I do in June (realistically, I'm not getting a 180 by June), their is always room for me to do even better in October. Also, I figure why not increase my chances and get more scholarship money. Seems like lots of people take it twice, no? Even for a point or two. By October, I should have already experienced testing day, and put in another 3 months of casual studying so I should not have any excuse to not increase my score. At least this is my rationale. Also, Ive heard conflicting stories on schools averaging your score. I've heard that most of them just look at the top score even when they claim to average. Is this untrue?

edit: I am really aiming for a 165+. If I am not even PT'ing in that range by May 16th (last day to change test date) I will switch to the October Test. However, If I am PT'ing in that range by that date, then I will take the test.

If by end of August/September I am PTing higher than my June score I will then retake in October. What do you think?

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:25 am

dprendergast1 wrote:I would have put in 3 months of studying by June's test, so I do assume I will be ready. However, no matter how well I do in June (realistically, I'm not getting a 180 by June), their is always room for me to do even better in October. Also, I figure why not increase my chances and get more scholarship money. Seems like lots of people take it twice, no? Even for a point or two. By October, I should have already experienced testing day, and put in another 3 months of casual studying so I should not have any excuse to not increase my score. At least this is my rationale. Also, Ive heard conflicting stories on schools averaging your score. I've heard that most of them just look at the top score even when they claim to average. Is this untrue?

I think most schools take the top score, but some do average. Some take the top one if you score 7 or so points higher on the second go around. Some will require an addendum explaining a large increase in points. Still, I would really only aim for taking it once if at all possible. But on the other hand, I can see what you mean by wanting to have an experienced test day. I was much less nervous my 2nd time, although it did not help my score. The bottom line is really do what makes you comfortable, only you can judge how ready you will be in June or October, etc. Best of luck with your prep!

dprendergast1

Postby dprendergast1 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:31 am

Hmm addendum if you have a large increase? Ok, not looking forward to that.

Seems my plan is not so easy. I dont know. The most I can study hardcore is about 3 months. From my experience the more I put off a test, the more I never really study for it.

I've been really dedicated to this June test, but I may need more time. However, if I put it off until October, I'll probably throw down my books, not pick them up until August or so and then be back in the same 3 month boat, while forgetting everything Im learning now (happened once before)...............ahhhhhh

hopefully it all comes to me by June :-/

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:37 pm

hellokitty wrote:
dprendergast1 wrote:I would have put in 3 months of studying by June's test, so I do assume I will be ready. However, no matter how well I do in June (realistically, I'm not getting a 180 by June), their is always room for me to do even better in October. Also, I figure why not increase my chances and get more scholarship money. Seems like lots of people take it twice, no? Even for a point or two. By October, I should have already experienced testing day, and put in another 3 months of casual studying so I should not have any excuse to not increase my score. At least this is my rationale. Also, Ive heard conflicting stories on schools averaging your score. I've heard that most of them just look at the top score even when they claim to average. Is this untrue?

I think most schools take the top score, but some do average. Some take the top one if you score 7 or so points higher on the second go around. Some will require an addendum explaining a large increase in points. Still, I would really only aim for taking it once if at all possible. But on the other hand, I can see what you mean by wanting to have an experienced test day. I was much less nervous my 2nd time, although it did not help my score. The bottom line is really do what makes you comfortable, only you can judge how ready you will be in June or October, etc. Best of luck with your prep!

I never understood the whole addendum thing. How many people actually have a legitimate excuse for why they scored low on their first test. I mean obviously some people do have a good excuse (i.e. proctor made a mistake, marching band practicing outside, etc.), but most people scored low because of nerves or they didn't prep as well as they could have.

Bert

Postby Bert » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:46 pm

dprendergast1 wrote:QUICK QUESTION:

Depending on the school, apps start becoming available in early September. I also don't see why you should wait until October to submit your apps (unless you think that doings the apps will hinder your studying). Assuming you are registered for the October LSAT when you submit apps, schools will see this in your LSDAS report and will not pass judgment until they receive your October scores. I applied in September and took the October LSAT (which happened to be given in September). Virtually all of my applications became complete on the day the October scores were released. I would say get out your applications to your top choices as soon as possible.

Bert

Postby Bert » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:51 pm

honestabe84 wrote:I never understood the whole addendum thing. How many people actually have a legitimate excuse for why they scored low on their first test. I mean obviously some people do have a good excuse (i.e. proctor made a mistake, marching band practicing outside, etc.), but most people scored low because of nerves or they didn't prep as well as they could have.

I don't think its necessarily explaining why you scored low the first time. It is more explaining why the [presumably higher] second LSAT score should be considered a more accurate indicator of your abilities than the [presumably lower] first LSAT score, or at least that is how I tackled the addendum.

EDIT: edited for quote fail

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:54 pm

I've heard this advice but chose not to take it, and wish I had:

If you have a bad feeling about your performance on the LSAT, don't wait around to find out your score. You're letting your curiosity get the better of you. Jitters are fine, but if you feel like something was seriously off, cancel and re-take. It's better to apply with just a September (or December) LSAT and a cancellation than with a low score and a high score.

Related to this was the earlier advice to take the June LSAT if you possibly can. I wish I had.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:56 pm

Bert wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:I never understood the whole addendum thing. How many people actually have a legitimate excuse for why they scored low on their first test. I mean obviously some people do have a good excuse (i.e. proctor made a mistake, marching band practicing outside, etc.), but most people scored low because of nerves or they didn't prep as well as they could have.

I don't think its necessarily explaining why you scored low the first time. It is more explaining why the [presumably higher] second LSAT score should be considered a more accurate indicator of your abilities than the [presumably lower] first LSAT score, or at least that is how I tackled the addendum.

EDIT: edited for quote fail

I see. I scored much higher and I was thinking about writing an addendum, but I never had any idea what to write.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:00 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote:
Z3RO wrote:I wish somebody had told me to apply to Northwestern. I sort of made excuses for why I didn't want to, and I probably would have been accepted. Then I'd be taking classes with DF rather than rewriting my PS next fall...

DF? Why didn't you apply to Northwestern?

DF = Desert Fox

I didn't apply, because I am a foolish man. I was also turned off by the interview requirement.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”