What is one thing you wish someone would have told you? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gambelda

Bronze

Re: What is one thing you wish someone would have told you?

Post by gambelda » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:26 pm

Hey-O wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:There was a post I read last week or so ago from an applicant that visited Harvard and sat in on a class. He/she really did not have anything good to say about the student body. Apparently many of the students he/she met were a bunch of pretentious/snobby 20 somethings that think they walk on water. This is obviously not to say that there aren't people at Harvard who are down to earth and genially great people.
I visited HLS last year (not that I had a chance of getting in, I just figured since I was in town for BC already, why not) and I got the same overall impression while I was there.
I have only known one person who went to Harvard and he was a pompous prick. He was always correcting other people's grammar, even people who were not native English speakers.
I have only met 1 non asshole from Harvard. He was my boss and the guy was hilarious. probably an anomaly for Harvard, but he also only went for undergrad. Harvard Law has PSYCHOLOGISTS ON STAFF to help the poor babies who have never received a B in their entire lives when they see they didn't get an A+ on their exams. Harvard kids are detached from the real world - total pretencious pricks.

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:28 pm

pppokerface wrote:awesome tips, really really great thread.
I haven't applied yet but I did take my LSAT, so here is mine
Don't take the LSAT until you are ready. Don't take it unless you are practicing a few points higher than what you would be happy with-for instance-you practice around a 173 and you would be happy with a 170 then you are fine, because there is that risk that you will underperform, especially if it is your first time.
To tag on to this about practice tests (this may be common sense but it took me a while to find it out), to get the best idea of what your score is going to be like, take the most recent preptests possible. I bought the first and last in the series of preptest books, not realizing that the test has gotten significantly harder in recent years. My practice tests for the first book were all around 170-172, but for the last book were around 163-165. Luckily I outperformed that a bit in the real test, but I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up so much for a 170+ score if I hadn't done those old tests first.

pppokerface

Bronze

Post by pppokerface » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:33 pm

gambelda wrote:
Hey-O wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:There was a post I read last week or so ago from an applicant that visited Harvard and sat in on a class. He/she really did not have anything good to say about the student body. Apparently many of the students he/she met were a bunch of pretentious/snobby 20 somethings that think they walk on water. This is obviously not to say that there aren't people at Harvard who are down to earth and genially great people.
I visited HLS last year (not that I had a chance of getting in, I just figured since I was in town for BC already, why not) and I got the same overall impression while I was there.
I have only known one person who went to Harvard and he was a pompous prick. He was always correcting other people's grammar, even people who were not native English speakers.
I have only met 1 non asshole from Harvard. He was my boss and the guy was hilarious. probably an anomaly for Harvard, but he also only went for undergrad. Harvard Law has PSYCHOLOGISTS ON STAFF to help the poor babies who have never received a B in their entire lives when they see they didn't get an A+ on their exams. Harvard kids are detached from the real world - total pretencious pricks.
A guy asked me out on OKCupid, and I didn't respond, he seemed alright but dull. Then I found out we had a mutual friend, and that he went to Harvard Law and was this brilliant guy. Man I should have written back.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Best advice I learned was to solicit fee waivers. Email schools you are interested in applying to and politely ask them to waive fees. Be it need based or merit based, include your numbers and request the waiver. I had 10+ schools (majority in t-14) waive my fees by simply asking (combination of need/merit based). The more money you save, the more schools you can apply to.

And BE HUMBLE. Have an open mind about the process. It's not always HYS or your doomed to be living as a pauper in the gutter. There are a lot of great schools out there. Apply broadly, incorporating a fair amount of reaches, targets, and safeties.

darkgreenfruit

New

Post by darkgreenfruit » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:51 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:Apply as early as possible.
+1. This apparently makes a pretty big difference.
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adt231

Bronze

Post by adt231 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:48 pm

darkgreenfruit wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
+1, fuck

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:59 pm

adt231 wrote:
darkgreenfruit wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
+1, fuck
+1000 fml

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:33 pm

Tag

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:38 pm

make sure if you go on online forums for law school students not to create an identity that can be easily traced to your real one.

and if you didnt follow that advice- not to post anything snarky or banworthy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sperry

Bronze

Post by sperry » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:58 am

That you can go to a T10, not be at the rock bottom of your class, and have no employment prospects whatsoever.

gg2

New

Post by gg2 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:43 pm

What do you guys mean by early?
I registered for the June test but not sure if I will be ready by then.... and may have to take it in October. Would that be too late?

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Mon May 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon May 27, 2013 2:23 pm

PourMeTea wrote:
gg2 wrote:What do you guys mean by early?
I registered for the June test but not sure if I will be ready by then.... and may have to take it in October. Would that be too late?
No. Just have your apps ready to go as soon as your score gets in. Anything before Halloween is still considered early.
Halloween?

Thanksgiving

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”