Taking a quarter off Addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
saltoftheearth

Taking a quarter off Addendum?

Postby saltoftheearth » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:01 pm

Winter quarter was my last, but I am not graduating until the end of summer (still walking in June)

I took the Spring quarter off because I am completely done with my requirements and want to study for the LSAT

I am taking classes this summer to bump my GPA to the next tenth. The reason why I opted for summer classes is because it's significantly cheaper for me to take those extra classes during the summer

I'll probably need to write an addendum, and I was wondering if the financial reason above is a credited cause for a break in my academic track

D. H2Oman

Re: Taking a quarter off Addendum?

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:40 pm

I assume you're applying next cycle? hmmm IDK, I had a short period of random time of during UG as well and I didn't say shit about it anywhere in my apps.....on a possibly related note, I'll be reapplying!

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:47 pm

I took an entire "year off" and wrote an addendum explaining why and what I did. I only spent one paragraph on it since my referees all touched on it. In your case, OP, I think it would be wise to include a brief addendum explaining your time out. Don't schools ask for explanations for any breaks from classes?

saltoftheearth

Postby saltoftheearth » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:56 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:I took an entire "year off" and wrote an addendum explaining why and what I did. I only spent one paragraph on it since my referees all touched on it. In your case, OP, I think it would be wise to include a brief addendum explaining your time out. Don't schools ask for explanations for any breaks from classes?

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to write an addendum for a one-quarter break from classes.. but if I do, my WHY will be "because I am an OOS student who was interested in taking additional classes at the cheaper unit cost of summer classes" and my WHAT will be "because I wanted to study for the LSAT during Spring quarter"

how does that sound? lol

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:58 pm

saltoftheearth wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:I took an entire "year off" and wrote an addendum explaining why and what I did. I only spent one paragraph on it since my referees all touched on it. In your case, OP, I think it would be wise to include a brief addendum explaining your time out. Don't schools ask for explanations for any breaks from classes?

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to write an addendum for a one-quarter break from classes.. but if I do, my WHY will be "because I am an OOS student who was interested in taking additional classes at the cheaper unit cost of summer classes" and my WHAT will be "because I wanted to study for the LSAT during Spring quarter"

how does that sound? lol

That sounds fine man, I wouldn't really worry about this much. There not going to hold that against you.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:04 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
saltoftheearth wrote:

how does that sound? lol

That sounds fine man, I wouldn't really worry about this much. There not going to hold that against you.

Look at each school's application. UPenn, for example, asks if your academic experiences has ever been interrupted for one or more terms. If you check yes, you need to submit an explanatory addendum.

saltoftheearth

Postby saltoftheearth » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:10 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
saltoftheearth wrote:

how does that sound? lol

Look at each school's application. UPenn, for example, asks if your academic experiences has ever been interrupted for one or more terms. If you check yes, you need to submit an explanatory addendum.

yup, thank you both

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”