Would really like some input...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tasteofred

Would really like some input...

Postby tasteofred » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:25 pm

I know I completely flood this forum with questions. I was trying not to, met with my school's pre-law advisor and was told I should consider changing my major to poli sci to have a better chance. Not going there for advice anymore :)

Anyway, I'll (probably) be applying in 2011. My top choice is NYU and my GPA will be right at the current median (3.75). I know it's silly to estimate an LSAT score, so I won't go there. What I'd like to know is, assuming GPA and LSAT at median, what can I do to make my application as close to an auto admit as possible? I go to a crappy TTT undergrad. I guess I have a unique major, but that doesn't mean much.

The reason I'm asking is because after this semester I'm eligible for an honors program at my UG. It involves a senior thesis and different, presumably more challenging, exit requirements. Is this even worth it at all?

And what about undergraduate research? I feel like all the applicants I meet have extensive work experience or amazing achievements. I have.... volunteering, I'm a treasurer of a (relatively inactive) club, an old job as a legal assistant and retail jobs. I'm applying for an internship right now, but other than that I don't see any other resume additions happening besides more volunteering, or honors/research opportunities. I'm not especially interested with the opportunities they have going on right now, though. And I would rather volunteer more or get a second job (I do temp/freelance stuff for attorneys right now... mainly family friends that just call me when they need extra help) but I want to try and outweigh my shitty UG and work experience.

So! Would you say I need to expand my softs to have a chance? Or am I being ridiculous and just not noticing the people who get in with no good softs and median scores? Does that even happen in the T6? or do you really need great softs?

evilgenius

Re: Would really like some input...

Postby evilgenius » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:37 pm

I dont think there's a such thing as an auto admit in the T6. With #'s at the median, you definitely need good softs. That being said, I wouldn't pursue any softs that could possibly lower your GPA or with challenging requirements (i.e., honors research etc). If you can find a volunteer opportunity that can be elaborated on in your personal statement it could make you stand out.

But honestly, my advice is: to spend more time studying for the LSAT; take a couple of very easy summer classes that can boost your GPA; spend time writing a great personal statement. One more job or volunteer stint (at least in your case) probably wont make much of a difference.

tasteofred

Re: Would really like some input...

Postby tasteofred » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:00 pm

evilgenius wrote:I dont think there's a such thing as an auto admit in the T6. With #'s at the median, you definitely need good softs. That being said, I wouldn't pursue any softs that could possibly lower your GPA or with challenging requirements (i.e., honors research etc). If you can find a volunteer opportunity that can be elaborated on in your personal statement it could make you stand out.

But honestly, my advice is: to spend more time studying for the LSAT; take a couple of very easy summer classes that can boost your GPA; spend time writing a great personal statement. One more job or volunteer stint (at least in your case) probably wont make much of a difference.

The research would be separate from my grades, not part of the honors program. Just like a part time job/internship sort of thing. Does that make a difference in whether it's worth it or not? I could also hold off on applying until the next cycle and get my GPA up to a 3.8, but that's about as high as it could get. I was considering using a year off to become fluent in Spanish (already am partially, I'm cuban) but.. anyway. Thank you for your help :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”