I need help with my LORs.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OmbreGracieuse

I need help with my LORs.

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:15 pm

I need some advice. I started my UG degree at a 2 year college where I got my AS, then went onto a 4 year college and got a BS. Do I need a LOR from my first school? Should I stick to just professors and advisors from my 4-year school? I also work and do service work (volunteering) through a local church that I write grants for. How many LORs do you typically need? Should I stick to 1 or 2 from my 4-year, 1 or 2 from my work, and 1 from my service work, OR should I also try to get 1 or 2 from my old school?

I can get them, so it isn't a problem. Most of my professors have already talked with me about the possibility of writing one, I just don't know if one is needed.

Also, is it better to have a decent but possibly generic LOR from someone the law school would know (one of my professors writes some of their textbooks, and maintains close correspondance with them), or someone they DON'T know who would write a shiningly brilliant one (someone who has offered before you have asked)?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Its on Seabass

Re: I need help with my LORs.

Postby Its on Seabass » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Get a LOR from the teachers that know you best. Dont worry about getting ones from your first school. Law schools arent going to care about the prestige of the letter writer if the writer doesnt knowyou personaly. To be honest LORs will not matter that much in your application its going to be all about the numbers.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:37 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote:
Also, is it better to have a decent but possibly generic LOR from someone the law school would know (one of my professors writes some of their textbooks, and maintains close correspondance with them), or someone they DON'T know who would write a shiningly brilliant one (someone who has offered before you have asked)?

You'll find that the latter is considered far superior on TLS.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:26 pm

CMDantes wrote:
OmbreGracieuse wrote:

You'll find that the latter is considered far superior on TLS.

I appreciate your response. I have a professor who has offered to write me one (just volunteered about a year ago), and has offered to either write it independently or work with me to fill in anything my other LORs might not have said. I also have another professor who would if I asked, and he writes books for one of the other schools, but I am not sure it would have the same kind of quality the first would have had (being that the first teacher offered to write one).

I appreciate your feedback. :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”