I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby nealric » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:32 am

I mean, really. How else will I validate my existence?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:48 am

nealric wrote:I mean, really. How else will I validate my existence?


Hoping this is the year GULC make the t13?

User avatar
elliefont
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby elliefont » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:51 am

when are they normally released?

(and yes on GULC)

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby nealric » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:56 am

when are they normally released?

(and yes on GULC)


They are normally leaked by either xoxo, LSD, ATL, or TLS at least one week before release. It is now less than a week.

Hoping this is the year GULC make the t13?


I'm hoping this is the year I get a shiny gold star on my forehead because of the rank of the school I go to. And GULC has always been a T13 school. [Insert name of your school here] was never in the T13. USNEWS has simply been wrong all these years.

I DEMAND SATISFACTION
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby D-hops » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
nealric wrote:I mean, really. How else will I validate my existence?


Hoping this is the year GULC make the t13?


Great use of your 9000th post DF.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:16 pm

D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
nealric wrote:I mean, really. How else will I validate my existence?


Hoping this is the year GULC make the t13?


Great use of your 9000th post DF.


Couldn't have timed it better if I tried.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby Tanicius » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
nealric wrote:I mean, really. How else will I validate my existence?


Hoping this is the year GULC make the t13?


Great use of your 9000th post DF.


Couldn't have timed it better if I tried.


Well now you have to wait for ammo for your 10k post.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby holydonkey » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:18 pm

Georgetown is #2 in Cooley's ranking. That kind of makes up for it.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby nealric » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:35 pm

Georgetown is #2 in Cooley's ranking. That kind of makes up for it.


It's also a T13 NLJ 250 placement ranking school.


2 vs 1
USNEWS loses

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby ggocat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:40 pm

nealric wrote:I mean, really. How else will I validate my existence?


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby rayiner » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:42 pm

D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
nealric wrote:I mean, really. How else will I validate my existence?


Hoping this is the year GULC make the t13?


Great use of your 9000th post DF.


He's clearly trying to break the T14 of posters.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby legalease9 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:10 pm

Don't think it's gonna happen this time. They are being released online far before the magazine release.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby nealric » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:48 pm

He's clearly trying to break the T14 of posters.


Remember, he doesn't acknowledge the T14. He can only be in the T13 of posters or the T20.

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby sumus romani » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:52 pm

It is simple: they were leaked in the past by people obtaining a copy of the paper magazine. Now, the paper magazine won't even be mailed to sellers until the rankings are posted online. Evidently, they are opting for tons of web traffic, but comparably fewer paper magazine sales. The real question is whether their web site will crash.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby rayiner » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:56 pm

nealric wrote:
He's clearly trying to break the T14 of posters.


Remember, he doesn't acknowledge the T14. He can only be in the T13 of posters or the T20.


LOL true.

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby beef wellington » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:58 pm

nealric wrote:
He's clearly trying to break the T14 of posters.


Remember, he doesn't acknowledge the T14. He can only be in the T13 of posters or the [strike]T20[/strike] TTT.

ftfy

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby nealric » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:06 pm

ftfy


TY, you are correct :mrgreen:

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby nealric » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:07 pm

It is simple: they were leaked in the past by people obtaining a copy of the paper magazine. Now, the paper magazine won't even be mailed to sellers until the rankings are posted online. Evidently, they are opting for tons of web traffic, but comparably fewer paper magazine sales. The real question is whether their web site will crash.


Yeah. But someone should have a cousin's best friend's roommate who works at USNEWS. Or at least be a good computer hacker.

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby doinmybest » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:16 pm

The leak soooo late this year. I cant stand finding out whether my school will be in the T13 at the same time everyone else does!!! The leak was my edge dammit!

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby Bert » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:00 pm

Question for all of you on the USNWR rankings. Since the 2011 rankings being released in a couple weeks are based (at least partially) on data collected about the admissions criteria (GPA, LSAT, acceptance rate, etc.) at the various schools for the class entering in 2010, how can this data possibly be completely accurate and reportable, especially considering some schools have indicated that we will not hear a response until after the USNWR rankings have posted on the internet? Is it just that the schools have made a decision and not told everybody yet? Do the rankings get corrected at some future point in time? Is it just that the portion of the overall score given to these factors is so small that changes don't really sway the rankings? I know that there is a general feeling on TLS that the USNWR rankings are to be taken with a grain of salt, but as I continue to look into this it the USNWR seems to be more and more contrived.

jimicornerstone
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby jimicornerstone » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:09 pm

Bert wrote:Question for all of you on the USNWR rankings. Since the 2011 rankings being released in a couple weeks are based (at least partially) on data collected about the admissions criteria (GPA, LSAT, acceptance rate, etc.) at the various schools for the class entering in 2010, how can this data possibly be completely accurate and reportable, especially considering some schools have indicated that we will not hear a response until after the USNWR rankings have posted on the internet? Is it just that the schools have made a decision and not told everybody yet? Do the rankings get corrected at some future point in time? Is it just that the portion of the overall score given to these factors is so small that changes don't really sway the rankings? I know that there is a general feeling on TLS that the USNWR rankings are to be taken with a grain of salt, but as I continue to look into this it the USNWR seems to be more and more contrived.



Pretty sure this is wrong. I think it's based on the class that entered Fall '09.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby ggocat » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:47 pm

jimicornerstone wrote:
Bert wrote:Question for all of you on the USNWR rankings. Since the 2011 rankings being released in a couple weeks are based (at least partially) on data collected about the admissions criteria (GPA, LSAT, acceptance rate, etc.) at the various schools for the class entering in 2010, how can this data possibly be completely accurate and reportable, especially considering some schools have indicated that we will not hear a response until after the USNWR rankings have posted on the internet? Is it just that the schools have made a decision and not told everybody yet? Do the rankings get corrected at some future point in time? Is it just that the portion of the overall score given to these factors is so small that changes don't really sway the rankings? I know that there is a general feeling on TLS that the USNWR rankings are to be taken with a grain of salt, but as I continue to look into this it the USNWR seems to be more and more contrived.



it's based on the class that entered Fall '09.

TITCR. And employment data will be from 2008 graduates.

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby Bert » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:51 pm

So, there really isn't any consistency to the data at all. Some info from last year, some info from two years ago, and this info from this year make the rankings?

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby SAE » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:51 pm

ggocat wrote:
jimicornerstone wrote:
Bert wrote:Question for all of you on the USNWR rankings. Since the 2011 rankings being released in a couple weeks are based (at least partially) on data collected about the admissions criteria (GPA, LSAT, acceptance rate, etc.) at the various schools for the class entering in 2010, how can this data possibly be completely accurate and reportable, especially considering some schools have indicated that we will not hear a response until after the USNWR rankings have posted on the internet? Is it just that the schools have made a decision and not told everybody yet? Do the rankings get corrected at some future point in time? Is it just that the portion of the overall score given to these factors is so small that changes don't really sway the rankings? I know that there is a general feeling on TLS that the USNWR rankings are to be taken with a grain of salt, but as I continue to look into this it the USNWR seems to be more and more contrived.



it's based on the class that entered Fall '09.

TITCR. And employment data will be from 2008 graduates.

Then why the heck don't they come out well before the deposit deadlines?

CMDantes
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: I demand to know why the USNEWS rankings have not leaked

Postby CMDantes » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:03 pm

SAE wrote:
ggocat wrote:
jimicornerstone wrote:
Bert wrote:Question for all of you on the USNWR rankings. Since the 2011 rankings being released in a couple weeks are based (at least partially) on data collected about the admissions criteria (GPA, LSAT, acceptance rate, etc.) at the various schools for the class entering in 2010, how can this data possibly be completely accurate and reportable, especially considering some schools have indicated that we will not hear a response until after the USNWR rankings have posted on the internet? Is it just that the schools have made a decision and not told everybody yet? Do the rankings get corrected at some future point in time? Is it just that the portion of the overall score given to these factors is so small that changes don't really sway the rankings? I know that there is a general feeling on TLS that the USNWR rankings are to be taken with a grain of salt, but as I continue to look into this it the USNWR seems to be more and more contrived.



it's based on the class that entered Fall '09.

TITCR. And employment data will be from 2008 graduates.

Then why the heck don't they come out well before the deposit deadlines?


So they can sit back and laugh at the droves of desperate law school hopefuls.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackpi, danielkal, proteinshake and 7 guests