part time job experience

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cocoabutta32

part time job experience

Postby cocoabutta32 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:36 pm

Does it matter that I have no part-time job experience in terms of law school admissions? How about for getting a job out of law school? I have never had a part-time job, and I'm considering getting one this summer for the sole purpose of building a resume for law school, since I have no experience. Do you guys think this is worthwhile (with no consideration for money)? Thanks.

crm

Re: part time job experience

Postby crm » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:39 pm

cocoabutta32 wrote:Does it matter that I have no part-time job experience in terms of law school admissions? How about for getting a job out of law school? I have never had a part-time job, and I'm considering getting one this summer for the sole purpose of building a resume for law school, since I have no experience. Do you guys think this is worthwhile (with no consideration for money)? Thanks.

Don't think it'll matter. I had three years at 30hrs+/wk while full time in UG and worked full time after, and didnt matter...all that matters is your LSAT/GPA

cocoabutta32

Postby cocoabutta32 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:46 pm

cocoabutta32 wrote:Don't think it'll matter. I had three years at 30hrs+/wk while full time in UG and worked full time after, and didnt matter...all that matters is your LSAT/GPA

What about for getting a job out of law school?

Matt07

Postby Matt07 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:53 pm

Part time job experience is helpful in getting a job out of college. It gives recruiters something to talk about with you to get to know you better. Perhaps they even know somebody at the place you work that might give you a favorable impression to them. It can't hurt when looking for a job to list part time experience.

cocoabutta32

Postby cocoabutta32 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:34 pm

bump it

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:01 pm

cocoabutta32 wrote:Does it matter that I have no part-time job experience in terms of law school admissions? How about for getting a job out of law school? I have never had a part-time job, and I'm considering getting one this summer for the sole purpose of building a resume for law school, since I have no experience. Do you guys think this is worthwhile (with no consideration for money)? Thanks.

I have a part time job, and it separated me when I switched UG schools- it has also given me something to talk about and put on my resume for the upcoming cycle later this year. I would say if you aren't going to work, you should consider volunteering. You could do something you truly love, and it would give you all the same advantages (the ability to put it on a resume, something to speak with future employers about, ect). If you think you are good to go, then go for it, but I prefer having work experience.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”