Need to decide between Case Western and American ASAP

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Fiction

Need to decide between Case Western and American ASAP

Postby Fiction » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:13 pm

edit
Last edited by Fiction on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

charlesjd

Re: Need to decide between Case Western and American ASAP

Postby charlesjd » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:19 pm

Fiction wrote:I (stupidly) applied very late in the cycle and therefore are still waiting on a couple of schools for letters. However, I have been accepted to several schools already--my top choices being American University in DC and Case Western Reserve in Cleveland.

My current goals/interests: I plan on applying to be commissioned as a JAG officer (Navy is my first choice). Following my commission I would most like to get into some end of the legislative or judicial process (clerk to a judge or assistant to a senator). The Justice Department is a possibility. I have tangential interests in law and economics, internet law, international law, and business law.

My pie-in-the-sky pipedream is to do well enough during my first year that I can transfer to a T14 school (ideally Chicago), and ultimately get involved in legal academia.

Politically I would consider myself a generally Hayekian conservative/libertarian, but get along fairly well with other political persuasions. I am an outdoors oriented person, enjoy rock climbing, camping, outdoors, etc. I have no problem living in the city for my law school stint though.

So, pros as I see it for American University--
- Higher ranked and in the first tier (#45--which might help in a transfer down the road?)
- Situated in DC, which is ideal considering my interest in working in government
- Highly acclaimed international law program (#6)

Cons--
- Painfully liberal (so I hear)
- Situated in DC, so cost of living is atrocious and might force me to commute quite a bit
- Competes with Georgetown and GW

Pros for Case Western Reserve--
- Offered me $15k/year scholarship
- Has a center on Global Security and Policy
- Located in the midwest (family is in the heartland)
- Situated in Cleveland so low cost of living and very livable
- Seems to be ranked higher/viewed as underrated by a number of rankings including Vault

Cons
- Lower ranked and in the second tier (#55)
- Situated in Cleveland--not exactly a Mecca for government contacts

Which should I choose? I am still waiting on Indiana-Bloomington and was wait-listed for Wisconsin-Madison (sending a letter of continued interest), but I need a deposit in my April 15th.

I am in the same exact situation. I have put a deposit down on Case as of now. WashU WL'ed me too, but the cost of all those schools is just not worth it to me. IU is taking forever wtf?!?!?!? Whatever, unless a school comes back with a better offer than Case, I will be there come August. I have researched Case like crazy and they are a great school, Jones Day loves them, and it is quite portable and well known.

With 15k a year, you really can't go wrong in my opinion.

Oh yeah, and American is TTTTTTTTT. They suck your $$$$$$$ down and from what I have seen and heard, career prospects are not exactly great... take it or not about American, you should NOT go there if anything.

Fiction

Postby Fiction » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:11 am

Bump

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:22 am

I really doubt the fact that being in DC and having a slightly / meaningless higher "rank" would give you an edge over Case Western in earning a commission to the JAG. Further, i just don't see how u can justify Case Western with scholarship over American tution at sticker. Plus, living in DC is expensive.

Go to Case Western. Good luck.

Fiction

Postby Fiction » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:14 am

edit
Last edited by Fiction on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:29 am

When I talked to the head of International Law at Case, he mentioned several students had gone the JAG route. If you watch their video online, there's one of them in there. I'm sure people have from American, too, and that does give you the DC angle. Is American worth an extra 45,000 +COL over Case? You don't need the bigger job fair or market if you want to go JAG, and you listed twice as many negatives for American as you did Case. I don't know about American and I think a lot of the negative stuff on here just assumes they suck because they're up against other schools - that's not necessarily the case and their int'l law program is ranked higher than Case's.

I'd note the Center on Global Security doesn't appear as active as it was when it started, the guy who started it, Prof. Guiora, left for U. of Utah to be the Int'l Law guy there. Too bad - he was apparently awesome for mil law and counterterror issues. Scharf, the guy who is at Case now, is even more highly regarded, but he's more war crimes focused. Still, it's there, and I'd bet there's a lot of chances for students to get involved immediately, though I don't know the quality of the opportunities.

You can't count on transferring. But, yes, lots make the jump to GTown from American. But in no way is that easy.

If you get into Indiana, I'd make that your number one. If not, I'd go Case.

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:32 pm

This doesn't answer your question, but all things being close to equal, go to Case! I went to medical school there and loved it; the area around Case has affordable housing, great food, and culture lin the palm of your hand. At least for medical school, It paid to be the only game in town!

irish017

Postby irish017 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:42 pm

Go to Case and have a beer with me if I go to Cleveland Marshall.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”